• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Marking of the Camino Madrid

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Is the Camino Madrid well marked??
Hola

Marked well enough.
I walked it 6-7 years ago and I had no problem finding my way, but I had walked some Caminos before which helps.
Will it be your first Camino?
What time are you planning to go?

You could download some track from Wikiloc.com so you have better knowledge about where you are and where you want to go.

Have a look at other tracks as well to find the one you think is the best.

--

One thing. I was worried about leaving Madrid as exiting any major city may be difficult, but it was really easy following the discribtion and before you know it you are out in the landscape, so I can recommend to start your walk from the Iglesia de Santiago.
They have a morning prayer for pilgrims so you may want to look into this option and see if you can make it fit with your plans.

The credential you can pick up at the Cathedral which is close by.

--
Information on Albergues on the Camino de Santiago.

--

There is a guide that many has used over the years from The Confraternity of St. James, but it seems out of stock at the moment.

You can keep an eye open to see if it becomes available again.

--

Lastly, walking the Camino de Madrid is through central Spain, farm land with sunflowers, plantages of trees where they harvest resin, smaller towns where the youth has left for the cities for work or studies and so on.
It is truely farmland and the locals will look at you with a different eye than most of the other Caminos.

People are friendly but not so accustomed with pilgrims, but as always if you ask for help the locals will help you.
There were only a few pilgrims on route - most evenings I was sharing an albergue with a spanish woman I meet on the way or being alone with some cyclist.
it was during august I walked and had temperatures up to 38C, and cars would stop and ask me if I had enough water.
People care about pilgrims.

Do remember to carry a little more water than you are used to.
The first days up to Segovia can be sparse on water.

All in all, the Camino de Madrid provides a view into what the Frances and the other Caminos were like in older times.
I had a great time and when I arrived at Sahagun, it was going from a solo experience to be walking with the masses.
Comparable with connecting to the Frances from the Primitivo.

I hope this helps.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Last edited:
Hello @Anton Muhlbock

Although it is a while since I walked the CM in 2017 I would say it was very well waymarked at that time. The siingle proviso would be that if you want to start in central Madrid (at the church of Santiago y Juan Bautista) you will need to use a roadmap or Google maps or GPX to find your way from there to Plaza Castilla (with the leaning towers) where you make a turn left for Tres Cantos. See here.

You will see opinions divided on this forum about whether to start from central Madrid or to take the metro out part of the way. I really enjoyed the section through the busy city myself.

The only problem I had, I think, was getting out of Tres Cantos on the morning of the second day and does in fact mark the first time ever I (tried to) use a GPX track.:) But I reverted to yellow arrows for the rest of that trip and from then on I had no problem.

It is probably my favourite route. I prefer solitary routes and it is certainly that, but I found it had just the right amount of infrastructure. It is cared for by an enthusiastic team of voluteers I think. I have noticed a few posts recently suggesitng that a few lodgings have not reopened after Covid. I guess it is worth checking out with Gronze.com. I never booked ahead more than one day.

Buen camino!

PS. The above post from @lettinggo came in while I was responding. i agree with all they say!!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked last October. Picked up my credential from the Santiago church (aka Parroquial de Santiago y San Juan de Bautista, office opened 10am, I think).
Single most crucial resource for me for successfully achieving this camino was Mapy.cz which shows the camino path and allows you to check your position against it with GPS. If you download the relevant map you use no internet data. Overall the waymarking is patchy and without the ability to make a map/GPS check you will sometimes lose the path.
Second most important resource was Gronze. Accommodation was accurate. I reviewed all the places I stayed at on Gronze.
Third resource was the feedback and list provided by chrisje in this post
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-de-madrid.76462/
PS From centre of Madrid I spotted first yellow arrow after about 9km up at Colonia de San Cristobal. There's then an intricate set of paths through Fuencarral, mostly marked, but not completely!
PPS Single best decision I made was taking the detour to San Ildefonso just before Segovia

PPS Single best decision I made was taking the detour to San Ildefonso just before Segovia
Agree absolutely about San Illdefonso! :) Although i have just checked and seen that the lovely Hostel Camino de Lis is 'permanently closed'. But Gronze shows a handful of places. And there is always the Parador there if you want to splash out.

It is a lovely little town. And a very easy short walk into Segovia the next day.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola

Marked well enough.
I walked it 6-7 years ago and I had no problem finding my way, but I had walked some Caminos before which helps.
Will it be your first Camino?
What time are you planning to go?

You could download some track from Wikiloc.com so you have better knowledge about where you are and where you want to go.

Have a look at other tracks as well to find the one you think is the best.

--

One thing. I was worried about leaving Madrid as exiting any major city may be difficult, but it was really easy following the discribtion and before you know it you are out in the landscape, so I can recommend to start your walk from the Iglesia de Santiago.
They have a morning prayer for pilgrims so you may want to look into this option and see if you can make it fit with your plans.

The credential you can pick up at the Cathedral which is close by.

--
Information on Albergues on the Camino de Santiago.

--

There is a guide that many has used over the years from The Confraternity of St. James, but it seems out of stock at the moment.

You can keep an eye open to see if it becomes available again.

--

Lastly, walking the Camino de Madrid is through central Spain, farm land with sunflowers, plantages of trees where they harvest resin, smaller towns where the youth has left for the cities for work or studies and so on.
It is truely farmland and the locals will look at you with a different eye than most of the other Caminos.

People are friendly but not so accustomed with pilgrims, but as always if you ask for help the locals will help you.
There were only a few pilgrims on route - most evenings I was sharing an albergue with a spanish woman I meet on the way or being alone with some cyclist.
it was during august I walked and had temperatures up to 38C, and cars would stop and ask me if I had enough water.
People care about pilgrims.

Do remember to carry a little more water than you are used to.
The first days up to Segovia can be sparse on water.

All in all, the Camino de Madrid provides a view into what the Frances and the other Caminos were like in older times.
I had a great time and when I arrived at Sahagun, it was going from a solo experience to be walking with the masses.
Comparable with connecting to the Frances from the Primitivo.

I hope this helps.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo
Hi Lettingo
Great info you have sent me thank you so much it will be my fifth Camino but it will be a different one because less people I did Francés twice Northe and de la plata with more people on it.
I also will do San Salvador and Primitivo this time.
Thanks again for your good info greetings from Perth Western Australia
Anton

Agree absolutely about San Illdefonso! :) Although i have just checked and seen that the lovely Hostel Camino de Lis is 'permanently closed'. But Gronze shows a handful of places. And there is always the Parador there if you want to splash out.

It is a lovely little town. And a very easy short walk into Segovia the next day.
Thanks very much for your great info

Just to offer contrary opinion, I used all trails pretty consistently. Although true that it is marked in a lot of places I would sometimes find the occasional screwball turn and being in the mid-thirties centigrade for temperature I was not in the mood to get lost or wonder if I was on the track.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just walked it last year and found it to be not very well waymarked. I got lost a couple of times and had to rely on GPS to get me on the correct route. I used the Buen Camino app which showed my position in relation to the route. I also used Johnnie Walkers book on the Camino Madrid and found it to be more helpful than Barrera’s book. If you are interested, here’s a link to the videos I made along the way:
, if the link doesn’t work my channel name is Hey Robin. I’d have to say thus far, it’s been my favorite trek because of the challenge and beautiful scenery. I’m one that loves the solitude and wide open spaces and this route provides plenty of that. I hope you enjoy this route as much as I did! Robin

I just walked it last year and found it to be not very well waymarked. I got lost a couple of times and had to rely on GPS to get me on the correct route. I used the Buen Camino app which showed my position in relation to the route. I also used Johnnie Walkers book on the Camino Madrid and found it to be more helpful than Barrera’s book. If you are interested, here’s a link to the videos I made along the way:
, if the link doesn’t work my channel name is Hey Robin. I’d have to say thus far, it’s been my favorite trek because of the challenge and beautiful scenery. I’m one that loves the solitude and wide open spaces and this route provides plenty of that. I hope you enjoy this route as much as I did! Robin
Hi Robin
Thanks very much for your reply I think you was the one who motivated me to do the Madrid l have watched many of your videos I think you very balanced with your voice and music .
I have done some Caminos before and will walk on the 6th of April many thanks for your help
Buen Camino Anton
Greetings from Perth Western Australia

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Sorry to hear about Hostel Camino de Lis, stayed there too.

I had no problem walking the Madrid by only following the arrows/signage but did indeed take notes from the Forum about where to take the cutoff to San Ildefonso.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Robin
Thanks very much for your reply I think you was the one who motivated me to do the Madrid l have watched many of your videos I think you very balanced with your voice and music .
I have done some Caminos before and will walk on the 6th of April many thanks for your help
Buen Camino Anton
Greetings from Perth Western Australia
Hola
Seems you are starting today so have a great walk and enjoy the silence of the Madris.
Buen Camino :)
Lettinggo

Hola
Seems you are starting today so have a great walk and enjoy the silence of the Madris.
Buen Camino :)
Lettinggo
I started on the CdM on April 3rd and other than using Komoot to leave Madrid I found that after reaching the tennis center on the outskirts of the city I have found the route so well marked that I haven’t used
I found the markings leaving Madrid poor and I used Komoot in the city but once you get to the tennis center the route is so well marked and I have had no need for the Komoot mapping app, or similar, since.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.