• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

MARMOT Pre Cip Rain Jacket

cpstar

Time of past OR future Camino
APril 2013
Hi

I am thinking of buying the Marmot Pre Cip jacket as my rain jacket - does anyone have one, had one?

Marmot seems to be a reputable and reasonable priced brand.

Feedback would be hugely appreciated!

thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've had mine for years, and I love it! Not so much for warmth, but it's light weight, comfortable, keeps me fairly dry, breathable.

A second vote in favor of Marmot precip. I've had mine since 2000 and bring it every year. It's had a few washings in that water-proofing liquid and is good as new.

I also have the pants, but have stopped bringing them on the camino since for me they are just too much hassle. But I use the pants to ride into work in bad weather, and they are also great.

No complaints from this marmot precip customer!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Me too!

My husband and I both have the Marmot Precip jacket and pants, but like Laurie, will not be taking the pants on the next camino. Since we wear shorts most of the time, they have proven to be redundant.

We are very happy with the jackets. Light, pack easily, and keep us dry with a minimum of sweating.

Buen Camino!

lynne

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I wore my Precip jacket when I hiked Torres del Paine in Patagonia.
The weather was incredibly changable, from bright sunshine to howling wind and snow in literally 5 minutes time. The Precip was great. It's light, packable, waterproof, has good ventilation and with a fleece pullover it will keep you warm and dry. I was considering the pants for the Camino, but it sounds like they're overkill.

A big thank you for all replies. Have bought the Marmot and feel happy about my purchase! Ive also got the pants, but wonder if I really need them... They dont weigh much so I may just pack them in case!
Thanks again!

Hiked the AT with the jacket. Don't wear the pants. my second jacket. First one lost to fire :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
cpstar said:
They dont weigh much so I may just pack them in case!
Thanks again!
The rule states that if you are taking them 'just in case', just leave them in a case, at home.
Pack lite.

Regds
Gerard

Have most of my gear for Camino Frances from Leon beginning late September. Have agonised over choosing a jacket however, but all your responses are leading me to the Marmot Precip jacket. I will have to buy online so wondering about women's sizing. I am of "generous" proportion so may be better buying the men's jacket. Any thoughts welcome. :)

Hi, Annie,
My marmot precip is a women's L -- since I often have a fleece on under it and it's my only jacket on the Camino, I leave space for layers. It's roomy, but doesn't look like I'm swimming in it if I wear it with just a shirt underneath. I'm about 5' 7", 140 pounds, mas o menos.

It's hard to know about sizing. I just bought a couple of ex officio shirts in a M and they are huge on me, so obviously there is a huge variation here.

Hope this helps. Make sure you can return the jacket! Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I bought the Marmot Pre-cip and agree with others it is a great, lightweight jacket. Haven't used it in pouring down rain so don't know how it would hold up in those conditions. I also bought the rain pants which I do plan to take as I will be walking this March and April. As there is so much talk that I can expect a lot of rain, I'm reluctant not to take them. I've been wearing them hiking this winter on really cold, windy days as well as days in the 50s and have found them really good for stopping the wind. I'd rather be warm and dry than damp and cold on the Camino, but then I'm a wee bit older than most on the trail.

As for the fit of the Marmot jackets, I weigh about 130 at 5'2" and buy the women's size large. It gives me plenty of room for layers underneath, while not swallowing me whole. Sleeve lengths are always a bit longish for me but the elastic and velcro at the wrist keep the sleeve in its proper place.

I really, really love my Marmot things. The quality is fantastic and everyone raves about their durability. I have to shop on line and though there are lots of excellent retailers out there I'd put a plug in for Backcountry.com. They've been super in helping me put together my gear; their customer service is outstanding; and, they have a matching price guarantee policy. So they are my go-to online store.

Buen Camino, ya'll :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.