• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Married pilgrims praying for some private accommodations along the Camino Frances!

Gabrielle & Justin

Time of past OR future Camino
password1
Hello fellow pilgrims!
My husband and I will begin walking the Camino Frances this upcoming May. However, would really appreciate an updated list of private/affordable rooms along the route (we don't mind sharing a bathroom) but are hoping to still save on rooms where breakfast or dinner is included.
Thank you so much!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We tend to use private rooms. But I am not sure there is a ‘list’ as such.
I use a number of resources.
Booking.com
Gronze.com
And
A scanned copy of Miam Miam Dodo on my phone.
We generally book a day ahead once we decide on our distance for the next day. Though this year we’ll wing it a bit too just to have a bit more freedom.

What is ‘affordable’? For some it would be e25 for others e100?
We probably average e40-45, using Casa Rurals.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello fellow pilgrims!
My husband and I will begin walking the Camino Frances this upcoming May. However, would really appreciate an updated list of private/affordable rooms along the route (we don't mind sharing a bathroom) but are hoping to still save on rooms where breakfast or dinner is included.
Thank you so much!

Post a list of your route stops so forum members can recommend

Hello fellow pilgrims!
Thank you so much!

We found Brierley plus booking.com sufficient for our needs when we opted for a private room.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello fellow pilgrims!
Thank you so much!

There are no problems getting private rooms and hotel rooms, it will just cost a little bit. From 25EUR I would say. At least this was it last year. But most villages have small hotels. I would use the booking apps already mentioned.

However, don't miss out to stay some nights in some nice private albergues. Many offer home cooked dinner together at night. Spontaneusly, I just now remember one place I stayed at which was named La Perla Negra I think (situated in Asqueta). The owner offered single bed in different rooms with shared bathroom. I shared a room with one other lady. We all pilgrims shared an amazing home-made dinner at night together with the owner. She was such a beautiful woman putting in som much heart in her albergue. She offered some brekfast for a small pennie in the morning as well.

Buen camino!

My wife and I have had moderate luck with private rooms in regular alburgues, but they generally cost a bit more than if you had two bunks (30€ to 40€). Casa Rurals are nice but a bit pricier than that.

Montjardin in VillaMayor has a non-listed private room (shhhhhhhh!) and so do some other alburgues, so always ask.

Trinidad de Arre albergue used to have 4 bunks in one room for married couples only at the same price as the dorm, but that's the only one I know of.
There are plenty of private lodgings along the route. I'd suggest taking a look at booking.com with your Brierley's in hand.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A private room now and then is essential to the emotional, physical, and spiritual well-being of any marriage. We always stayed in a hotel (or a "hostal" as the Spanish call a small hotel or guest house) when we came to one of the larger cities on both of our Caminos. We took at least a couple of "rest stops" of two nights and a day off with a private room along the way. But the Camino experience is one of fellowship and community, so try to spend at least a few nights in the albergues, especially the smaller private albergues which serve in-house, home-cooked meals where you share with others and build lasting friendships. Acacio y Orietta in Viloria de Rioja and Lireanos Domine in Rabé de los Calzados on the Camino Frances, and Casa Fernanda on the Camino Portugués are example of such places, and I'm sure others will recommend similar favorites.

Hello fellow pilgrims!
Thank you so much![/QUOTE
gronze.com with a little helo from google translate I the best.....

As others have suggested - the nearest to a full accommodation listing for each place including villages "between stages" would be gronze.com (the Camino Frances section is here: https://www.gronze.com/camino-frances). It's useful even if you don't know much Spanish, as you will see it lists all the accommodation (or almost all) for each town and village, whether albergues, pensiones, hoteles, etc, gives information as to costs and (in the case of albergues) whether they offer private rooms, and provides links to websites or booking.com where available. If you use booking.com itself be careful to check the locations as someone else mentioned - sometimes a place can be listed for a particular town and then you find it's several km away! But it's a very useful tool for making bookings. Not everything is listed there of course, which is why starting with a broader listing like Gronze is preferable - there are may small (and very good) places that you would miss otherwise.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Gabrielle and Justin,
Many private albergues also have private rooms. You will pay a bit more as mentioned above. You should be able to see if there are private rooms in at a location in the Brierley guide book. My husband and I stayed about half the time in a private room. He has a CPAP machine and when we were packing in the mornings it was easier for him to make sure he had all the parts if we could turn on the overhead lights. We also loved the dorm experiences we had on the camino where we slept in bunks with others in the same room. Be sure (if you want to sleep together in the same bed) that you ask if they have a "matrimonial" which means a double or queen bed rather than two twins. Rather than book online, we often just called ahead to see if we could reserve the room or if it was available. That way we avoided having the owner pay the charges levied by the online booking companies. It also allowed us more flexibility as we could decide how far we wanted to go and we did not have to walk around too much looking for a place once we arrived at our destination for the day. Our feet appreciated that a lot. If you do not speak Spanish, you can always ask someone to help you make the call. We often asked our current host to call ahead for us. Even if they don't speak much English you can show them the place you want to call and then write on a piece of paper what you want, etc.
Janet and Phil

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When you get to Castaneda if this a suitable stopping point for the day try Casa Milia or Casa Garea both fantastic places with ensuites.
I think the cost last year was around 40 Euro for a room. (NOT PER PERSON)
Both have options for a meal. Buen Camino

Turns out that many private alburgues have been putting us in dorm rooms without others because we are married! No one joins us until the other room is full.

Hello fellow pilgrims!
Thank you so much!

Hi,
I'm currently on day 12 of 32 and easily managed to book a single private room with private bathroom, for the entire route. All accomodation is on the Camino, albeit, not always at the more popular stopover points. I used Booking.com and AirB&B. For the entire route, in some instances including breakfast, the average cost worked out at €34. Listening to the tales of snoring, 5am risers, bedbugs, and sickness - it's been money well spent. The accomodation is there, you just have to plan in advance. My daily average distance between accomodation is 25km.

Good luck,

Steve
Shrewsbury, UK

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There are no problems getting private rooms and hotel rooms, it will just cost a little bit. From 25EUR I would say. At least this was it last year. But most villages have small hotels. I would use the booking apps already mentioned.

However, don't miss out to stay some nights in some nice private albergues. Many offer home cooked dinner together at night. Spontaneusly, I just now remember one place I stayed at which was named La Perla Negra I think (situated in Asqueta). The owner offered single bed in different rooms with shared bathroom. I shared a room with one other lady. We all pilgrims shared an amazing home-made dinner at night together with the owner. She was such a beautiful woman putting in som much heart in her albergue. She offered some brekfast for a small pennie in the morning as well.

Buen camino!

We stayed at La Perla Negra in 2018. It was one of the best albergues on the Francés in my opinion. Clean and friendly. Seemed to accommodate less than 20. Great vegetarian dinner.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Saw this post from today. In the past i have happily given the house over to couples who stayed 1 or two nights. They have to cook for themselves with whats in the fridge and treat the place like it is their own home. This year will be very strange maybe next year it will be possible again.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back