• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Married Pilgrims

loukitt

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2017
My wife and I will be beginning our Camino next week. I have looked into all the albergues and researching the stages and towns of the camino. My question is, do some or all the albergues have separate sleeping arrangements for married pilgrims ?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My wife and I will be beginning our Camino next week. I have looked into all the albergues and researching the stages and towns of the camino. My question is, do some or all the albergues have separate sleeping arrangements for married pilgrims ?
Of course there are separate sleeping arrangements for married couples. You each get your own bunk bed! Usually, you'll get assigned one up and one down so that you can be close. :p

Actually, some private albergues have private rooms but, of course, they cost more. I think the going rate for a two bed, private room with shared bathroom is 25-40euros. Not all have them and I don't think many, if any, municipal albergues have them.

FYI, my wife and I stayed in albergues through most of our first camino but we now stay mostly in cheap pensions or hotels. You can usually get a private room with your own bathroom for about 40euros, which is about double the cost of two beds in a private albergue. The only parts of the "Camino experience" that we seem to miss out on include snoring, seeing men walk around in their underwear, disturbing others or being disturbed by early departures, plastic mattresses, paper sheets and the camaraderie of the shared misery. That is somewhat said in jest but only somewhat. We actually have had great experiences in albergues but it can be taxing at times too.

Last edited:
Of course there are separate sleeping arrangements for married couples. You each get your own bunk bed! Usually, you'll get assigned one up and one down so that you can be close. :p

Actually, some private albergues have private rooms but, of course, they cost more. I think the going rate for a two bed, private room with shared bathroom is 25-40euros. Not all have them and I don't think many, if any, municipal albergues have them.

FYI, my wife and I stayed in albergues through most of our first camino but we now stay mostly in cheap pensions or hotels. You can usually get a private room with your own bathroom for about 40euros, which is about double the cost of two beds in a private albergue. The only parts of the "Camino experience" that we seem to miss out on include snoring, seeing men walk around in their underwear, disturbing others or being disturbed by early departures, plastic mattresses, paper sheets and the camaraderie of the shared misery. That is somewhat said in jest but only somewhat. We actually have had great experiences in albergues but it can be taxing at times too.

And don't forget the guy who cuts his toe nails at 1am, very scary.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
And don't forget the guy who cuts his toe nails at 1am, very scary.

Well he cuts them in his bed and not around the kitchen table when you are making some pastasauce...:D Say no more.

Anyway, back to original question : I remember that the albergue de Carbajal from the Benedictinas in Leon have a men's dorm and one for women and then a separate for couples.

As mentioned, you can get a private room for 2 in some albergues, but the common set up is a bunk bed for each of you, usually upper and lower bunks. Sometimes where the the bunks are close together, you'll get neighboring bunks instead up upper and lower.

When we walked, we spent most of our nights in bunks in albergues, but got private rooms occasionally - usually at hotels or casa rurales though.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You get your own bunk. It doesn't matter what your relationship is. We stayed in a couple of pensiones just because we wanted to sleep away from the crowds and in a couple of private albergues we reserved a room with 4 bunks for my husband and me and our our friend. Made it easier to chat privately and wake up at 5am without disturbing the people who want to sleep in late.

Last edited:
Well, this was my experience:
Albergue la Muralla, León: we reserved a nice room for two. Not much more expensive, and with a view over the street.
In the rest of places, I called to reserve the same day and I always took care to say: "Somos dos, somos un matrimonio" (we are two, we are a married couple); never asked for a private room. Results:
* We had rooms for two in Albergue Jesús, Villar de Mazarife;
* Ponferrada (a room for two, separated from a communal one by a curtain);
* A communal room, but where we were the only persons, in Pequeño Potala, Ruitelan (other pilgrims who arrived later were accomodated in another, only half full room);
* Room for two in Albergue Ultreia, Arzúa (the place was marked as "staff only" in the door);
* and reserved for two in a hostal, in Compostela.
We got communal rooms in Astorga, El Ganso, Foncebadón, Molinaseca, Sarria, Portomarín, Palas do Rei, but it was ok to us. We were not expecting more.
At the end, it was a good mix of privacy and communal dorms (which I recommend).
Maybe we were just fortunate, but I had the distinct feeling that hospitaleros tried to give a married couple doing the Camino some privacy; maybe it is not a such a common view, nowadays.
Now, if you really want privacy, some albergues have private rooms, besides the standard communal ones; look in Consumer Eroski. For example
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-irugoienea#bloque-informacion
It is not the case with parish or municipal albergues.
As far as I know, there is not a list of this type of accomodations; it could be useful.
(Edited: I forgot to mention that it was mid-October, so still many people in the Camino, but not specially crowded.)

Last edited:
I really can't see why married couple should get more privacy than single people in an albergue unless they pay for a private room.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When I read the OP I thought the author was asking about dorms where all married people would be pit, while the singles we're all in another. :p Was that to curb temptation of married people? :D

I walked both CF and CP with my husband. Some night we wanted privacy - more to be away from snore than any other shenanigans - then we booked private inns. In the end, the price of a double room was above the price of two bunk beds (I'd say 50-75%), but worth it for deeper rest. On CP inns were especially cheap.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I really can't see why married couple should get more privacy than single people in an albergue unless they pay for a private room.
I understand your extraneous reply but I'm curious: Can you understand why a married man, who has never walked a Camino, might ask the question that he did?

Last edited:

The MMDD will allow you to see how many rooms [ chambres] in each abode and how many in each chamber.
Private albergues , which are shown , have more options for these rooms for a few extra euro's.

Many, I'd say most, albergues haven't been built as such, and there are frequently rooms of varying sizes. Some places smaller rooms cost extra, but very often hospitaleros put couples arriving together in smaller rooms so they can tick the rooms off the list and see at a glance how many beds they have left.

In a couple of places, especially when my son was quite young (he walked the first time at 8), they put me and the kid in a double room and my husband in the dormitory with the men.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just to clarify on @Felipe 's post, where private rooms are found in albergues alongside dormitory accommodation, the private rooms are not usually set aside for married people or couples. It's just first come first served. When it isn't too busy, or you arrive early, the hospitalero can be nice and tactically spread people out a bit. But plenty of people walk with a friend and decide to share a twin room for a bit of peace and quiet, so they may get the private rooms if they reserve or arrive before you, and you and your wife would be offered bunks in the dormitory or have to look elsewhere. @Felipe was content to mention being a couple and take what came, but the only way to be sure would be to research the albergues in advance and reserve, or only go to private accommodation.

Conversely, if you are travelling with a friend and specifically don't want a double bed, be sure to say so when reserving in pensions and casas rurales. I have shared rooms with random guys and girls and never been asked 'are you a couple' or 'do you want a twin or a double?' - you have to take the initiative.

Last edited:

We were all glad you 2 moved to private accommodation,all that kissing and giggling and leaving love notes on the steamed up bathroom mirrors was becoming annoying :p

The albergue right across the river at Trinidad de Arre used to have a private room for married couples.
As I recall it had only 4 beds in the room.
We stayed there twice.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just to clarify on @Felipe 's post, where private rooms are found in albergues alongside dormitory accommodation, the private rooms are not usually set aside for married people or couples.
Yes, exactly. When we wanted some privacy, we reserved in hostals (or private albergues with private rooms) and were charged accordingly. In other cases, when I called to reserve in an albergue I mentioned that we were a couple with the only purpose of being placed (hopefully) in adjacent bunks. We had some times private rooms anyway, which was kind of surprising and pleasant, because we did not expect that.
Some times it could have been that hospitaleros had those private rooms for a premium, and when they were not reserved, just adjudicated them to the first couple to call in the morning. Just reported an experience, in case it could be useful to the OP.
It was my wife's first pilgrimage, so I planned for a mix of hostals and communal albergues. We befriended a French couple more or less our age, and many times cooked dinner together,with the plus that this guy always brought a bottle of good wine to the table :)

The other thing I will add for the sake of completeness, is that Spain is a liberal country. People are interested in helping you and making you comfortable, but they aren't interested in prying into your private life or judging you. Nobody is bothered if you check into rooms and your surnames don't match, if you are two people of the same gender, or whatever.

Last edited:
Hi, some, but not all have private rooms, some of which are twin rooms. You pay extra for these rooms and if you check Brierly's guide ( other guides are available!) they say which ones offer this. Nearly all private albergues I stayed in seem to offer this facility - market forces I guess . . Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Anyway, back to original question : I remember that the albergue de Carbajal from the Benedictinas in Leon have a men's dorm and one for women and then a separate for couples.

The other thing I will add for the sake of completeness, is that Spain is a liberal country. People are interested in helping you and making you comfortable, but they aren't interested in prying into your private life or judging you. Nobody is bothered if you check into rooms and your surnames don't match, if you are two people of the same gender, or whatever.

A peregrina I walked with for a while had - on a previous Camino - stayed in what am sure was the albergue de Carbajal in Leon and she and her partner were unmarried but the Benedictine hospitalero asked how long they had been together and then said "well, your's more or less married.2 so they stayed in the area for married couples.

I can't recall the town but it was just prior to Pamplona. My husband's feet were sore and just as we crossed the bridge there was a parochial albergue which was closer than the municipal albergue.

We were greeted by Domingo and when my husband asked if they had private rooms we were told yes. Domingo asked if we were married and my husband enthusiastically replied "yes." My husband happily paid and we followed Domingo thru the church and courtyard only to be led to a communal room with bunk beds where we were assigned two bottom bunks.

We discovered later that all couples were put in the communal room and single pilgrims were given the private rooms!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Nobody is bothered if you check into rooms and your surnames don't match

I walked with my husband, and our matching surnames did confuse a few hospitaleros. We got asked a few times if we were siblings, and then when we said we were married, they'd look at our passports again and say something like "Oh, you are Americans - of course, you have changed your name when you got married".

I remember the albergue in Vézelay, France. Men and women were separated, married or not. We were there with 7 of us, 5 men and 2 women (a petite lady and me). I couldn't complain and was looking forward to a night without snorers. It turned out that the petite lady was the loudest snorer I ever heard on a Camino... :D

For those that don't know this, Spanish people keep their own names after marriage and their children get the first surname of each parent. So, for example, if Mr. Juarez Perez is married to Mrs. Garcia Diaz their children have Juarez Garcia as their surnames. Makes genealogy very easy! BC SY

PS The long explanation can be found here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_naming_customs

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am in Viana at the moment. My husband is snoring away (we are not in an albergue-you're welcome :)) but so far all of the private albergue rooms and/or hotel rooms we have been in have twin beds! Always fun to try to figure out how to mind the gap. Also, not crowded at all on this part of the CF. Enjoying every moment! Buen Camino!

Last edited:
I'll tell you what is creepy. Bunk beds a bit too close together, so it's almost like a matrimonial. Night night darling? Yikes :confused:
And then they are those who pray for them so they can have an "accidental" arm reach. :oops:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
And then they are those who pray for them so they can have an "accidental" arm reach. :oops:
For myself, I was more worried about an "unintentional" night time maneuver. How embarrassing would that be!? And what if one slept right through such maneuver, and was left wondering about all those strange looks one received in the morning from fellow pilgrims. :oops::oops::confused::confused:

For myself, I was more worried about an "unintentional" night time maneuver. How embarrassing would that be!? And what if one slept right through such maneuver, and was left wondering about all those strange looks one received in the morning from fellow pilgrims. :oops::oops::confused::confused:
When in those bunk set ups, make sure you unteoduce yourself to you neighbour before bedtime ;).

Haha ripper reply you have made me laugh into my red wine in Villafranca after a 35km wet day

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Bear in mind , the OP is genuinely ignorant of the arrangements especially when religion is observed on the Camino and one stays at say a Proquial albergue. I think the OP is not asking for any special privileges rather what can he expect - is the segregation very strict? Will I even get to see my wife at night? What we should share is how relaxed the the albergues are and that they are not Spartan with chase rules. If fact I can go as far as saying to OP that you will be just fine and you will not be restricted to living like a Saint.

Do these albergues accept credit card? Or do they only accept cash?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Funny Story: My husband and I were assigned a "matrimonial" bed at a convent (yes, think about that) albergue in Leon. It turned out to be two bunk beds pushed together. We were assigned the bottom of each said bunk...and shared the room with about twenty other folks!!! It still makes us smile to recall how pleased the hospitalario was to offer this to us. Buen Camino!

We are a married couple at the end of our Camino (finisterre), we stayed at a few albergues with private rooms and also stayed in dormitories, I advise private rooms, we craved the privacy. Also, we are Middle Aged ourselves but there seemed to be an awful lot of older gentlemen travelling alone and staying in the dormitories , which made me feel very uncomfortable, even though my husband was on the bunk above me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Loukitt, I recently completed the Camino with my wife and we stayed in hotels and casa rurales the whole way. I'd be more than happy give you some recommendations of awesome places to stay -- most were on the expensive side, fyi. Seems like others have already answered your question, but yes, you could stay in albuergues if you want, and are able secure a private room. Up to you. My wife had no desire to stay in anything less than a nice hotel, which was fine with me this time around -- I 'll save the albuergue experience for another solo trip some day in the future. I really enjoyed 90% of the places we stayed, but we paid for it! Anyway, let me know if you want more specific info and I'll be happy to post it here.

Hi Loukitt, I recently completed the Camino with my wife and we stayed in hotels and casa rurales the whole way. I'd be more than happy give you some recommendations of awesome places to stay -- most were on the expensive side, fyi. Seems like others have already answered your question, but yes, you could stay in albuergues if you want, and are able secure a private room. Up to you. My wife had no desire to stay in anything less than a nice hotel, which was fine with me this time around -- I 'll save the albuergue experience for another solo trip some day in the future. I really enjoyed 90% of the places we stayed, but we paid for it! Anyway, let me know if you want more specific info and I'll be happy to post it here.
Johan, would love your recommendations of hotels and casa rurales. Because of my situation I will need a private room each evening. I have been trying locate a list of such accommodations along the Camino. Many thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Funny Story: My husband and I were assigned a "matrimonial" bed at a convent (yes, think about that) albergue in Leon. It turned out to be two bunk beds pushed together. We were assigned the bottom of each said bunk...and shared the room with about twenty other folks!!! It still makes us smile to recall how pleased the hospitalario was to offer this to us. Buen Camino!
You have made my day!:D:) What a great story.

Johan, would love your recommendations of hotels and casa rurales. Because of my situation I will need a private room each evening. I have been trying locate a list of such accommodations along the Camino. Many thanks.
Hi Seamus, without listing all the many places and towns we stayed in, perhaps it's better I direct you to a site like Trip Advisor, or Booking.com. Between a guidebook (we used: Hiking the Camino de Santiago by Anna Dintman & David Landis) and these two sites, we looked up places to stay in one or two nights ahead of time and made reservations. My best recommendation to you is to spend some time each evening looking at reviews, pictures, and prices to see what fits best. I'm in the process of posting my reviews on TripAdivsor. If you're using Booking.com, I suggest only using it to find names of places by town, and calling or emailing the hotel or Casa Rural or whatever yourself because Booking.com & TripAdvisor take a cut (I think it's something between 15-20%). I hope this helps! If you need a specific recommendation for one or two towns, let me know.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Asking for a double room will get you just that. If you want a double bed then ask for a 'cama matrimonia'. They are more common now than a few years ago, but you might still get the 2 beds pushed together if a true double is not available. :)

Hi Seamus, without listing all the many places and towns we stayed in, perhaps it's better I direct you to a site like Trip Advisor, or Booking.com. Between a guidebook (we used: Hiking the Camino de Santiago by Anna Dintman & David Landis) and these two sites, we looked up places to stay in one or two nights ahead of time and made reservations. My best recommendation to you is to spend some time each evening looking at reviews, pictures, and prices to see what fits best. I'm in the process of posting my reviews on TripAdivsor. If you're using Booking.com, I suggest only using it to find names of places by town, and calling or emailing the hotel or Casa Rural or whatever yourself because Booking.com & TripAdvisor take a cut (I think it's something between 15-20%). I hope this helps! If you need a specific recommendation for one or two towns, let me know.
Hi Johan, many thanks for your advice. I am much clearer now on an area that was worrying me.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My husband and I did about 1/2 alburgues with him on the top bunk and me on the bottom. Then it was actually sometimes cheaper to get pensiones with a private room and also some hotels in the bigger cities were great. Some of the alburgues will have private rooms. I really needed and wanted my own bathroom every few days. What luxury! Buen Camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I walked with my husband, and our matching surnames did confuse a few hospitaleros. We got asked a few times if we were siblings".

Exact same thing happened to us! I thought it was because at a high-level, we looked similar; she had cut her hair very short (and very cute!) for the Camino, so it matched mine (not so cute), we were dressed very, very similarly with dark green zip off hiking pants, hi-tech shirts, same (but different color) Osprey backpacks, etc.. Good to know regarding last names, thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'll tell you what is creepy. Bunk beds a bit too close together, so it's almost like a matrimonial. Night night darling? Yikes :confused:

It could be funny too. We had this experience with a wonderful sister and brother from the Netherlands. We became fast friends and every time this big warm teddy bear of a man would see me, he'd yell "you slept with my sister!" To which I would reply; "you slept with my wife!"

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back