• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Martin Carrido << The Camino is a cinema landmark >>

Peter Fransiscus

Be a Rainbow in someone else's cloud.
Time of past OR future Camino
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
What do you think about the article below ?

SANTIAGO CITY
Martín Garrido: «The Camino is a cinema landmark, it is a perfect scenery»
The Mallorcan director made the route from León to write a script inspired by the murder of Denise
XOAN A. SOLER

SUSANA LUAÑA
SANTIAGO / THE VOICE 10/4/2018 05:00 H

He is convinced: «The Camino is a reef for the cinema, it is a perfect scenery». The director and scriptwriter Mallorcan Martin Garrido (Palma de Mallorca, 1952) arrived last week to his goal in the Plaza del Obradoiro and must already be at the computer keyboard devising the script for a movie based on the murder of the American pilgrim Denise Thiem, who disappeared in 2015 when he was heading the Route in the province of León and for whose death was condemned Miguel Ángel Muñoz, a resident of Castrillo de los Polvazares.

He received the proposal from some producers a while ago, but did not say yes at the time. He decided first to do the Camino, to know the scene of the events and then to decide. He was fascinated, and not only because the scenery, the history, the landscape and the environment fit what he was looking for, but for the experience itself: "I did not walk," he clarifies, "I did it driving a 4x4 from Leon, and When I could not follow the pilgrims, I made a detour and returned to the Camino. All the places I've gone through and the hostels I stayed in seemed like a marvel to me. " He only has one complaint: "The indications are not good, I have seen people who were wrong and signs that they were deceiving, that should be improved".

He did not do the Route alone. Well, rather, who made the route was his friend the sculptor Amegra, also Mallorcan, with whom he was found at different points of the trip. «He did it walking from León. He will turn 80 in December and averaged 30 kilometers a day. Something incredible! I would not have been able to with 65 years that I have ».
The experience has allowed him to find the perfect scenario for what he is looking for. «I think you can make a scary movie with this landscape. I've gone through places where they kill you and nobody knows about it and that gives you a feeling, an air, a solitude and a restlessness ... There are tremendous landscapes, beautiful, and others very hard and mysterious ». He says he has not seen it before at the movies. «No, this landscape is new to me, I've only seen it in a film by Marta Etura, The invisible guardian . It is this landscape. But it's just a movie, I have not seen it again ». And then the Cathedral and the Obradoiro, which he described as "perfect scenery" for a film script. «Give an incredible story».

He was inspired? «Yes, I was inspired». So he said yes to the offer, and his intention is to start writing soon, as soon as he gets rid of other projects he has in hand. It will be a film based on real events, in the sad story of a pilgrim who got her way when she met Miguel Ángel Muñoz, her murderer. The script that is germinating will be added to the extensive filmography of the director and writer of Majorca, who started in the cinema with Pedro Masó, followed with the recording of recognized shorts in festivals, tried his luck in the direction and, in 2015 He wrote and directed The Bastard Son of God . If everything goes well, it will soon be back to roll on the Camino de Santiago. As he says, "a movie scenario."

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

SANTIAGO CITY
The Mallorcan director made the route from León to write a script inspired by the murder of Denise
XOAN A. SOLER

SUSANA LUAÑA

He is convinced: «The Camino is a reef for the cinema, it is a perfect scenery». The director and scriptwriter Mallorcan Martin Garrido (Palma de Mallorca, 1952) arrived last week to his goal in the Plaza del Obradoiro and must already be at the computer keyboard devising the script for a movie based on the murder of the American pilgrim Denise Thiem, who disappeared in 2015 when he was heading the Route in the province of León and for whose death was condemned Miguel Ángel Muñoz, a resident of Castrillo de los Polvazares.

He received the proposal from some producers a while ago, but did not say yes at the time. He decided first to do the Camino, to know the scene of the events and then to decide. He was fascinated, and not only because the scenery, the history, the landscape and the environment fit what he was looking for, but for the experience itself: "I did not walk," he clarifies, "I did it driving a 4x4 from Leon, and When I could not follow the pilgrims, I made a detour and returned to the Camino. All the places I've gone through and the hostels I stayed in seemed like a marvel to me. " He only has one complaint: "The indications are not good, I have seen people who were wrong and signs that they were deceiving, that should be improved".

He did not do the Route alone. Well, rather, who made the route was his friend the sculptor Amegra, also Mallorcan, with whom he was found at different points of the trip. «He did it walking from León. He will turn 80 in December and averaged 30 kilometers a day. Something incredible! I would not have been able to with 65 years that I have ».
The experience has allowed him to find the perfect scenario for what he is looking for. «I think you can make a scary movie with this landscape. I've gone through places where they kill you and nobody knows about it and that gives you a feeling, an air, a solitude and a restlessness ... There are tremendous landscapes, beautiful, and others very hard and mysterious ». He says he has not seen it before at the movies. «No, this landscape is new to me, I've only seen it in a film by Marta Etura, The invisible guardian . It is this landscape. But it's just a movie, I have not seen it again ». And then the Cathedral and the Obradoiro, which he described as "perfect scenery" for a film script. «Give an incredible story».

He was inspired? «Yes, I was inspired». So he said yes to the offer, and his intention is to start writing soon, as soon as he gets rid of other projects he has in hand. It will be a film based on real events, in the sad story of a pilgrim who got her way when she met Miguel Ángel Muñoz, her murderer. The script that is germinating will be added to the extensive filmography of the director and writer of Majorca, who started in the cinema with Pedro Masó, followed with the recording of recognized shorts in festivals, tried his luck in the direction and, in 2015 He wrote and directed The Bastard Son of God . If everything goes well, it will soon be back to roll on the Camino de Santiago. As he says, "a movie scenario."
Not sure this should be a movie

SANTIAGO CITY
XOAN A. SOLER

SUSANA LUAÑA

Oh please no. :( This is just... words fail me. How appalling.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Not sure this should be a movie
Oh please no. :( This is just... words fail me. How appalling.
Walked in 2015 at the time Denise was still missing and last May it became more personal to me because as some off You now Í brought the shells from Pilgrimhouse to the memory tree for Denise.

My hope is that there will be no movie about this tragedy .

Yeah, must admit it doesn't sit too well with me either. Even though I never met Denise I was about a week behind her on the camino when this terrible thing happened and as is the way on the camino an attack on one person feels like an attack on everyone.

I'd be a hypocrite though if I said I'd never watched a film about a real life story of human tragedy without a certain degree of morbid fascination. I do still question though whether this is a film that needs to be made and I certainly question as @Bradypus does the character of the person who is making it.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thankfully we walked that section after the horrendous event and heard news of the murderer's capture and trial. That in itself was spine chilling.

I wonder if either the producer or director of this proposed film has sought permission from Denise Thiem’s family to make sensational use of her story.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back