• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Martin Sheen ... LIVE

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
Joe and spent the past two days working as extras on the Sheen film. It has been fun, although the pay sucks ....

Today we got to see the swinging censor... very cool!

I will post photos once home... ciao!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It is amazing how the addition of a CELEBRITY can make the Camino so much more worthwhile, like really walking with giants.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Pretty much everything said to ME from Falcon is taken with a grain of salt.
He always has something "interesting" to say to me or about my posts.
It´s love... true love.. I´m SURE of it! :lol:

Anniesantiago said:
Pretty much everything said to ME from Falcon is taken with a grain of salt.
He always has something "interesting" to say to me or about my posts.
It´s love... true love.. I´m SURE of it! :lol:

I think you're not alone Annie! Well, apart from 'true love'! :D :shock: :wink: Now if you play your cards right....!!!!
:arrow:

Re: Martin Sheen ... photos

Here we are.. in Santiago:

2mqw7tj.jpg

And here is one of the last of the "headknockers," a practice that is discontinued due to its pagan associations, according to one hospitalero I spoke with:

a44wfs.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Pagan? Ironic since many Catholic practices are pagan to begin with. That's how in the past they managed to convert the pagans all over Europe in such a short time.

I asked about it on the Portico of Glory Tour. They said they discourage it because it contributes to the damage to the Portico.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh my, when is the movie coming out? I wasn't going to walk next year due to it being a Holy Year, will this movie inspire Americans to walk as the German comics' book did to his country's citizens and therefore over-run the Frances in 2010-11???

Well, I don't like to admit it, but I think I'm becoming one of those grumpy old gits who say, "It was better in my day!". I refer to the changes I fear will come to the Camino spirit I know and love, because of films and the cult of empty "celebrity", be it Sh McL or this actor. McL's book was so off the wall that I wonder what distorted impression people get of the Camino from it. Coelho's book too, promised something which certainly caught the imagination of many, but was deeply suspect. I can be accused of criticising these 'products', (for that's what they are), because they don't align with my values. Could be. Has Sheen walked the Camino before making the film, or did he come ready to impose his vision of the Way before he first saw it? I think this is an important question. Did he walk at least most of the way, did he walk alone or in a small group, did he travel by car, did he use refugios, did he use hotels , can you make a camino and make a film at the same time, and so on? All of these colour experience, though I am certainly not dictating how someone should "do" the Camino. But how you do it does affect your perception.

It also could be suggested that I don't like change, but the evidence of my life shows this is not the case - I welcome change - if it's progressive. Change is life. The Camino has no doubt changed enormously over its history, and will continue to do so; something enduring shines through however, which I think we have all touched upon and marvelled at, so maybe I'm wrong to be concerned about this new tacky element. Yet this film and the excitement it has generated is, I think, a tragedy. The excitement suggests that some feel that an actor's experience is more important than one's own; those who see the film first and then walk may have their openness to experience damaged by the processed images they see.

Caminando,
this is one concern I have with filmmakers on the camino, and that I have, sadly, come up against.
In order to raise money to make a film or TV documentary, the producers must have a package already made up to present to prospective funding sources. Only after the funding is secure will most of them attempt the actual path.

Which means the producers and directors go into the project with a notion already signed and sealed. They may put out feelers for people to talk to whilst doing their project, but if they do not meet the preconceived "profile," they are eliminated from consideration and conversation and input. Sad but true. So at the end of it all, the rest of the world gets to see a preconcieved "product" instead of the Real Thing.

Which may be a good thing. Those who come to Spain to find the Preconception will have to deal with what they find here. Which is what the Camino is about, anyway!

... and a lot of money and time and effort is expended in the meantime, which means the economy is stimulated. And the Camino, with all its thousands of years and pilgrims, doesn´t really care anyway. So it´s all a wash, no?

Reb.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Rebekah Scott said:
Caminando,
this is one concern I have with filmmakers on the camino, and that I have, sadly, come up against.
In order to raise money to make a film or TV documentary, the producers must have a package already made up to present to prospective funding sources. Only after the funding is secure will most of them attempt the actual path.

Which means the producers and directors go into the project with a notion already signed and sealed. They may put out feelers for people to talk to whilst doing their project, but if they do not meet the preconceived "profile," they are eliminated from consideration and conversation and input. Sad but true. So at the end of it all, the rest of the world gets to see a preconcieved "product" instead of the Real Thing.

Which may be a good thing. Those who come to Spain to find the Preconception will have to deal with what they find here. Which is what the Camino is about, anyway!

... and a lot of money and time and effort is expended in the meantime, which means the economy is stimulated. And the Camino, with all its thousands of years and pilgrims, doesn´t really care anyway. So it´s all a wash, no?

Reb.
Thanks Reb

The first comments you make give welcome detail to what I suggested about 'processed' experience. You've given an understanding of the actuality of the demands of commercial film making and the financial considerations which drive it. As you indicate, these factors act as a filter on experience, leaving a homogenised 'product'. Without the corruption of finance, I am sure however that a film of real value could be made. I am not against the idea of a film about the Camino. A balanced, factual documentary without celebrities but including real people would especially be useful. As many don't read nowadays, it would be welcome. A quality documentary might even act as antidote to the "products". So too would a narrative of any aspect of life on the Camino.

You make a point about those who might arrive with a "Preconception" only to find it dissolves away into something of real value, self discovered, owing nothing to another's concept. Healthy? Youbetcha!

I think you're right to remind (reassure?!) me that the Camino "doesn't care", for the Camino is certainly bigger than the winds of change which have blown on it for a thousand years, and I take solace in that reminder. It seems today to be as alive and shining as ever it was. As those who've walked it know , it appeared to be extinct not so long ago, but it was only dormant till the spirit, or better, zeitgeist was right to reaffirm it....and how!!!! I sometimes think of the notion of geospirituality, Gaia and the Camino, and the image of an apparently dormant volcano springs to mind, magnificently indifferent. But if I'm asked in Roncesvalles on a form to give reasons for my Camino, I won't say "geospirituality"!

So when I think of films and the wild narratives which have appeared recently, I also want to think, as you suggest, that these are minor distortions, little crosscurrents, which do not affect the great flow of this remarkable phenomenon, which I don't actually understand, to be honest.

I wonder what others think?
:arrow:

Some may be interested in the idea of Geopoetics, the project of Scottish writer Kenneth White, who lives in France. Sorry, but I don't know how to make links. :oops:

The Camino survived Shirley McLain, it can survive anything.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back