• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mary Kimpton Memorial Cairn

haloranch

When I first walked the Camino France in 2007, I spent a few moments remembering Canadian pilgrim, Mary Kimpton at the cairn that marked the place where she was killed by a car near Estella in 2002. When I walked that section again in 2011, I noticed that the Spanish authorities had built an underpass near that location. Unfortunately by so doing they have made it virtually impossible to see the memorial since one descends down a ramp to cross underneath highway N111 before getting to the memorial. It should really be moved or a sign indicating its location might be helpful so that more pilgrims can pay their respect.

Haloranch

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
haloranch said:
When I first walked the Camino France in 2007, I spent a few moments remembering Canadian pilgrim, Mary Kimpton at the cairn that marked the place where she was killed by a car near Estella in 2002. When I walked that section again in 2011, I noticed that the Spanish authorities had built an underpass near that location. Unfortunately by so doing they have made it virtually impossible to see the memorial since one descends down a ramp to cross underneath highway N111 before getting to the memorial. It should really be moved or a sign indicating its location might be helpful so that more pilgrims can pay their respect.

Haloranch

could be a nice project to organise a sign, & have Canadian pilgrims having got permission to erect it.
Good Luck
David

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/15498683
http://www.santiago.ca/mck.html

I'd like to stop here and pay my respects here to this fallen pilgrim. I too am from Canada and will be walking by Estella in May, almost 10 years after this sad tragedy. Considering the new underpass mentioned above, can anyone give some direction to me on how to find this cairn? Thanks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
tallrobert said:
I'd like to stop here and pay my respects here to this fallen pilgrim
Robert, a very touching gesture.

I have not passed this area myself but this appears to be the site of the Cairn, as located on Google Maps. http://g.co/maps/vgrnc. From the aerial view, the Camino path appears to go from right to left, so the Cairn would be on your left hand side before crossing under the road.

Maybe this could be confirmed by a forum member who has travelled this path recently.

Regards
Mig

Hi Mig,
Thanks for the link, that's very helpful. :D

I am interested to know if anyone can reference where the underpass is in reference to the cairn. I am guessing that's where I would have to veer off the path to get to the cairn?

Slightly off topic...the Google Street View link was cool. Can you "walk" the route frances on street view?
Robert

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am in Los Arcos today. Yesterday as promised, I looked for this memorial cairn and I was happy to find it just off the path, just before the new underpass after Villatuerta. I was worried that it might have been a little too hard to find but that was not the case. I brought from home a little Canadian flag and placed it on the memorial. I took some photos but I am not able to upload them just now.

Visiting this place gave me an opportunity to spent five minutes there reflecting on life and how fast it can change... or leave us. I am grateful that I was able to find this place and pay respects to this lady who was struck by a car and died... it was ten years ago tomorrow (June 2).

I was also able to inform the three Canadian ladies on the camino just behind me of the location of the cairn. I had spotted them a day or two before as we all have the camino forum badge on our packs.

Embrace life and live it to its fullest. We do not know, any one of us, when its precious gift will be snatched away. OneLove.

Robert,
I am so pleased that you found the cairn and made this gesture and also passed on the information to other pilgrims, should they want to pay their respects.

Buen Camino, Amigo
Mig

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.