• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mary Michael Pilgrimage Route across Southern England?

Melensdad

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 SJPdP to Santiago, Finisterre. Hadrian's Way, 2015. Sections of the AT + National & State Park trails.
image.jpg

Anyone know anything about this route? I gather it is still a work in progress. It appears to be partly new and partly follows established trails, and apparently not yet marked as a Pilgrim route either. Starts at St Michael's on the southwest coast and travels east-by-northeast to St Mary's on the opposite coast; Cornwall to Norfolk.

Apparently 600 miles as the crow flies but closer to 800 miles by roads and paths.

WebPage LINK => http://marymichaelpilgrimsway.org

Facebook LINK => https://www.facebook.com/pages/MaryMichael-Pilgrims-Way/353653698039386

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I plan to start this next month. There are guide books as far as Glastonbury with another about to be published taking you to Avebury (I think). There is no pilgrim infrastructure and only a small part is waymarked. The total distance varies depending on whether you wish to avoid bitumen at all costs or not. I have worked out a route of just over 600 miles which is fairly direct and which may be wrong. A couple who walked last year avoided roads and walked around 800 miles. Accommodation is the problem. I am taking a tent.

My sister lives in the UK, she is ordering the guide books (there are now 2 of them as the 2nd book was very recently published) and I plan to pick them up from her in May when I arrive for a visit. It cost quite a bit more for the books to be shipped to me in the USA.

I would be very curious to hear your observations of this route during/after your journey.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
...the guide books (there are now 2 of them as the 2nd book was very recently published)...

Yes, there are two. The most recent was published in 2012. A third is currently with the printer and should be released very soon. If you are planning to walk this route I recommend you read The Sun and the Serpent by Broadhurst and Miller and perhaps get the earth energy maps which they produced from Penwith Press.

The route crosses Dartmoor where wild camping is prohibited, so be prepared to make your stages accordingly. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I thought wild camping was allowed on Dartmoor, or most of it?

I went to the midsummer solstice on top of Glastonbury Tor a couple of years ago, I slept in a bivvy bag but there was quite a few up there in Tents, so if you are around at that time and don't mind incessant drum banging through the night then that's the place to pitch

That was people are writing elsewhere, so that is what I mimicked.

Yes, there are two. The most recent was published in 2012. A third is currently with the printer and should be released very soon. If you are planning to walk this route I recommend you read The Sun and the Serpent by Broadhurst and Miller and perhaps get the earth energy maps which they produced from Penwith Press.
I found that book on Amazon.com so I'll be putting it into my shopping cart to read. Thanks for the heads up on this! Not sure if we will be walking this route, but I want to seriously investigate it. We come to England/Wales/Scotland every other year for extended stays as we have family and friends scattered about. We try to do our travels and then visit with them. This trail would take us right past my sister's house where we could take a mid-trip break.

LINK TO BOOK >>> http://www.amazon.com/dp/0951518313/?tag=casaivar02-20

Last edited:
I thought wild camping was allowed on Dartmoor, or most of it?

I went to the midsummer solstice on top of Glastonbury Tor a couple of years ago, I slept in a bivvy bag but there was quite a few up there in Tents, so if you are around at that time and don't mind incessant drum banging through the night then that's the place to pitch
I think that for the 10 Tors it is allowed but as a general rule not. We have a friend who was told not to camp or take a camper van overnight. however it might have changed. I think it would be worth checking with the Dartmoor Park rangers rather than having problems.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think that for the 10 Tors it is allowed but as a general rule not. We have a friend who was told not to camp or take a camper van overnight. however it might have changed. I think it would be worth checking with the Dartmoor Park rangers rather than having problems.
Apparently if you keep to the rules, camping is allowed in some areas. The link to the National Park info is here:-
http://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/visiting/vi-planningyourvisit/camping

Blessings on your planning.
Tio Tel

Thanks for this. I was afraid it might be much more than 600 miles. I find no real inconsistency between the distance on your link for a car and 600 miles on foot.
Except that the 600 mile figure quoted is "as the crow flies". Presumably the crow they used that day had a poor sense of direction

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Except that the 600 mile figure quoted is "as the crow flies".

Not the 600 quoted by me.

The route is not a straight line, but meanders. It follows the earth energy lines, not the ley line. The ley line more or less links the locations where the two energy lines cross. You have to decide whether to walk the Mary line, the Michael line, or a combination of the two.

The ley line more or less links the locations where the two energy lines cross. You have to decide whether to walk the Mary line, the Michael line, or a combination of the two.

Have looked at the website in the past but not realised that it is two separate ways (Mary + Michael), so the starting point in the south west for the Michaels way would be St Michaels Mount(I assume) and probably Glastonbury Tor along it and the starting point for Marys way would be...? and I assume again that Avebury would be a femine energy so would be Marys way as well.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Have looked at the website in the past but not realised that it is two separate ways (Mary + Michael), so the starting point in the south west for the Michaels way would be St Michaels Mount(I assume) and probably Glastonbury Tor along it and the starting point for Marys way would be...? and I assume again that Avebury would be a femine energy so would be Marys way as well.

My understanding is that there is no starting or finishing point for the energy lines: they are part of a global energy grid. However there is a starting and finishing point for their land crossing of England. Carn les Boel, Cornwall to Hopton on Sea, Norfok.

Interesting video on the ley lines, discussion of the St Michael's line, Christian pilgrimage and pre-Christian too.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Did AJ or Melensdad - (or anyone else!) walk this route? I would be glad to hear about it. I am making a cycle route along the 'lines' and am setting off next week for the Carn Les Boel to Glastonbury leg.
Definitely camping - mostly wild (as my Thai friend says - 'i'd rather ask for forgiveness than permission'!!) and making sure we use the farm shops, small shops, pubs and local businesses along the 'Way'. They need our money far more than supermarkets...and chains....
Most of the churches set on the lines are open daily and there are lots of Holy Wells, standing stones, circles and 'forts' too....cannot wait!!

I plan to start this next month. There are guide books as far as Glastonbury with another about to be published taking you to Avebury (I think). There is no pilgrim infrastructure and only a small part is waymarked. The total distance varies depending on whether you wish to avoid bitumen at all costs or not. I have worked out a route of just over 600 miles which is fairly direct and which may be wrong. A couple who walked last year avoided roads and walked around 800 miles. Accommodation is the problem. I am taking a tent.
Hi aj...did u end up walking this ley line?
I'd love to connect to hear of your experience/ advice!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi aj...did u end up walking this ley line?
I'd love to connect to hear of your experience/ advice!
538 miles, 36 days. PM me your email and I will send you my "as walked" itinerary. I mostly used OS maps and not the guidebooks.

Well done Ozaj - it is a very long Way!!
We made a cycle route along it - https://cyclepilgrimageroutes.wordpress.com/2020/05/29/guide-to-route/ - if anyone is interested to cycle all or part of it.
What a joy - travelling along ancient trackways - seeing sacred and historical sites - all in the most variable and beautiful countryside England has to offer - a green and pleasant land !!!!
1639559146346.png1639559197964.png1639559258399.png1639559285442.png1639559338654.png1639559421842.png
1639559520312.png

Most read last week in this forum

An article in the weekend edition of the Irish Times. I hope it can be accessed. If not, just follow the website above. Go n-éirí an bóthar leat, Credit for Gaelic version, @wayfarer...
The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.