• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Masar Ibrahim Al-Khalil, Palestine

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Dear all,

This trail is not part of the Camino de Santiago, but since we have a section on "Other Routes" here on the forum, I thought I would add a section on this route here.

A few weeks ago I had a nice visit from a delegation from Palestine that were visiting Santiago promoting this route. If you have any question about this route, please ask them in this section of the forum. @MIAK can also be contacted directly by PM, he lives in Palestine and works on the promotion of this trail. Hopefully he can help us out, when questions come up in this section.

Here are some more info on this walk from the official website:
http://masaribrahim.ps/en/

Map-Final.jpg

Masar (The Path)

Far behind the hills and mountains of the North of Palestine, in the west of the magical city of Jenin, begins the tail of the exquisite trail of Masar Ibrahim.

This trail which extends all the way from the Northwest of Palestine in Jenin to the Southwest of Palestine in the sanctified city of Hebron, is more than just a trail. It is a Path of History, Shared Culture, Friendship and Hospitality, a path that serves to revive, preserve, and develop Community-Based Tourism in Palestine as a mean for sustainable tourism and economic development.

Masar Ibrahim is a trail of 321 Kms that extends from the village of Rummana in Jenin to the village of Al-Burj in the Hebron Governorate, and is ranked #1 Best New Trail by National Geographic.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I trailed (pun intended) through the website but couldn't find anything about typical costs etc for accommodation and the like. Surely looks tempting - So many Caminos - so little time, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Completely fascinating. Somehow, I'll go. The logistics might be challenging but I'd love to support these people.

This sounds wonderful. I've looked through their website, I'm curious to find out 1)
Can it be walked independantly
2) Are there trail markers of any type?
3) Is grotto camping free camping?
4) Average prices for accomodation, meals etc

Oh.... This is something I would like to try. Diet is sure to be different: no pilgrim menu with fried pork loin, but I would miss the chorizo ;0).

But if feed back as they get started is useful, I agree with SYates, the website does not give a sense of how this works. Is it all run through agencies, and we have to pick one and go with its plan? Or do we pick a guide? What sleeping arrangements are available where, do we have options, and what should we expect to pay?

Time to check when the weather is 23 degrees!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh.... This is something I would like to try. Diet is sure to be different: no pilgrim menu with fried pork loin, but I would miss the chorizo ;0).

But if feed back as they get started is useful, I agree with SYates, the website does not give a sense of how this works. Is it all run through agencies, and we have to pick one and go with its plan? Or do we pick a guide? What sleeping arrangements are available where, do we have options, and what should we expect to pay?

Time to check when the weather is 23 degrees!
At last a vegetarian Camino! Markers? - I've got a good compass. Many questions about infrastructure and support to be answered. Interweb!? I expect guides will be part of the package. Phrase book will be a killer. Will watch this space.

Hola - I met this group when they were in Santiago and I have continuing contact with them. They have charted and waymarked a great route to the Tomb of Abraham. However they face many challenges in promoting it given the political situation in the middle east.

This route is part of the 2000kms Abraham Path. The "parent" website gives answers to the questions raised:

http://abrahampath.org

I'd draw particular attention to the safety warning and also advise potential pilgrims to check the travel advice for this area issued by their own governments.

I will meet the group again in October and will keep you posted.

John

From the FAQ's:

Can I walk the path alone as a woman?

We do not recommend that women walk the Abraham Path alone. While the countries the trail crosses are safe for tourists, harassment of women does sometimes occur. In many local cultures it is inappropriate for women to walk alone, and this can put women in a vulnerable situation. We recommend that individual women interested in walking the Abraham Path do so via an organized tour or with a group. We also recommend modest dress (knees and shoulders covered; in the Urfa region, a long skirt is necessary), in keeping with local cultural norms.

http://abrahampath.org/plan/faq/#toggle-id-4

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you Ivar!! Now this looks very interesting. Hopefully one day...
You should. The Masar is wonderful and Palestine is so special!

Completely fascinating. Somehow, I'll go. The logistics might be challenging but I'd love to support these people.
You know, that is great to hear. And you'll find that logistics are not that challenging after all. For a start, there are low cost flights available! Your support is highly appreciated!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
At last a vegetarian Camino! Markers? - I've got a good compass. Many questions about infrastructure and support to be answered. Interweb!? I expect guides will be part of the package. Phrase book will be a killer. Will watch this space.
Great to see Mike, that you have the Masar Ibrahim planned for 2018! By then, hopefully all your questions about it will be answered. The phrasebook? Many, many people in Palestine speak English, and a smile goes a long way!

This sounds wonderful. I've looked through their website, I'm curious to find out 1)
Can it be walked independantly
2) Are there trail markers of any type?
3) Is grotto camping free camping?
4) Average prices for accomodation, meals etc
Well, about question 2, I can say: yes, the trail is marked. Camping can be done for free, yes, but if they mean free camping when mentioning grotto-camping, I really do not know!

We also recommend modest dress (knees and shoulders covered; in the Urfa region, a long skirt is necessary), in keeping with local cultural norms.

I can vouch that the (long) Macabi skirt is perfect in those circumstances :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
From the FAQ's:

Can I walk the path alone as a woman?

We do not recommend that women walk the Abraham Path alone. While the countries the trail crosses are safe for tourists, harassment of women does sometimes occur. In many local cultures it is inappropriate for women to walk alone, and this can put women in a vulnerable situation. We recommend that individual women interested in walking the Abraham Path do so via an organized tour or with a group. We also recommend modest dress (knees and shoulders covered; in the Urfa region, a long skirt is necessary), in keeping with local cultural norms.

http://abrahampath.org/plan/faq/#toggle-id-4
May I draw attention to the fact, that this a very general post and for instance the Urfa region is in Eastern Turkey and not in Palestine at all! However, yes, modest dress is in general appreciated when on the Path in Palestine. For general information about walking the Masar Ibrahim as a woman, I would contact the Masar Ibrahim in Palestine, they can give up to date info: info@masaribraham.ps.

It is prohibited to talk politics here - rightfully so. I am sincerely praying that the political leaders of both factions here, Israeli and Palestinian will one day wake up, reject extremist standpoints and religious fanaticism, and see the light. We, the people of both nations, get along person to person well enough without politics and without special interest groups, and I shall certainly walk this one when the long desired justice and peace comes.

Dear all,

This trail is not part of the Camino de Santiago, but since we have a section on "Other Routes" here on the forum, I thought I would add a section on this route here.

A few weeks ago I had a nice visit from a delegation from Palestine that were visiting Santiago promoting this route. If you have any question about this route, please ask them in this section of the forum. @MIAK can also be contacted directly by PM, he lives in Palestine and works on the promotion of this trail. Hopefully he can help us out, when questions come up in this section.

Here are some more info on this walk from the official website:
http://masaribrahim.ps/en/

View attachment 28955

Masar (The Path)

Far behind the hills and mountains of the North of Palestine, in the west of the magical city of Jenin, begins the tail of the exquisite trail of Masar Ibrahim.

This trail which extends all the way from the Northwest of Palestine in Jenin to the Southwest of Palestine in the sanctified city of Hebron, is more than just a trail. It is a Path of History, Shared Culture, Friendship and Hospitality, a path that serves to revive, preserve, and develop Community-Based Tourism in Palestine as a mean for sustainable tourism and economic development.

Masar Ibrahim is a trail of 321 Kms that extends from the village of Rummana in Jenin to the village of Al-Burj in the Hebron Governorate, and is ranked #1 Best New Trail by National Geographic.
Thanks for posting...Hopefully some day before I get too old...

Texasguy

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked a (very) short section of that trail, from Tel-Aviv to Jerusalem. A wonderful memory :cool:
But that trail is something totally different from the Masar Ibrahim. Different trail, different country!

That is so nice to hear! I see you walked 'home to Jerusalem': do you live there?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Slightly different, but surely also beautiful! So you walked all the way from there to Jerusalem? Wow, that is quite something!

Oh my. Why did I just read this? I will try and get as much information as possible. So many things to do and so many paths to walk. My bucket list is constantly growing.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It was. I walked with another pilgrim I had met on the Camino in Spain.

Your trail sounds fabulous ... I'd have to convince my family first. Never say never! ;)
Have you seen the beautiful trailer, that was posted in this forum also? Please convince your family: I am sure you'll feel very welcome in Palestine!

I tested it, and here it works just fine. The link is fine....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@tashgonewalkabout regarding the cost
whether tent, or homestay it is around $30

sandy
Although a group of German scouts, both male and female, pitched their tents around the Masar in the early summer of 2014 and I am not sure if they paid 30 USD for that. They had a terrific time by the way - enjoying the landscape and hospitality of the people they met!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hola - I met this group when they were in Santiago and I have continuing contact with them. They have charted and waymarked a great route to the Tomb of Abraham. However they face many challenges in promoting it given the political situation in the middle east.

This route is part of the 2000kms Abraham Path. The "parent" website gives answers to the questions raised:

http://abrahampath.org

I'd draw particular attention to the safety warning and also advise potential pilgrims to check the travel advice for this area issued by their own governments.

I will meet the group again in October and will keep you posted.

John
John,
Is your October meeting still on? I'm very curious about any updates.
Thanks, Mike.

I'm just back from a memorable 9 days walking the Nativity Trail (Nazareth-Bethlehem), developed by some of the people who have brought us the Masar Ibrahim. Walked with two excellent guides, stayed with local families and visited places in the region I've always wanted to - it is highly recommended. See the Alternative Tourism Group website: http://atg.ps/programs/nativity-trail

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm just back from a memorable 9 days walking the Nativity Trail (Nazareth-Bethlehem), developed by some of the people who have brought us the Masar Ibrahim. Walked with two excellent guides, stayed with local families and visited places in the region I've always wanted to - it is highly recommended. See the Alternative Tourism Group website: http://atg.ps/programs/nativity-trail
Another good, and non-profit, tour operator and Masar Ibrahim partner is Siraj Center in Beit Sahour, near Bethlehem: www.sirajcenter.org. Non-profit means their profits are being re-invested into the communities along the Masar and in Palestine in general. Indeed: tourism as a tool for development!

This beautiful new film about the Masar Ibrahim and the people on and near the Path in Palestine may be of interest:

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread got under my skin... and in a world full of noise the Masar Ibrahim Al-Khalil is calling me. I spoke to my husband yesterday about it and if it's possible we're both going to try and walk this trail in March 2020

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, any updates or news about this path? i'm planning to walk from Acre to Jerusalem in october i would like to cross the occupied territories following this path.
Thanks!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back