• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Mask Rules

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazibar

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP to SDC Sept 2015, Baiona to SDC May 2017, SDC to Muxia Sept 2018, Few bits VdP Sept 2019
I’m counting down the days to my Frances trip. However I’m getting very mixed responses to the rules on masks. Very keen to be compliant. This trip I’m traveling Burgos to Fromista followed by Leon to O Cebreiro. Can some of you advise? Local friends in Astorga say that they wear a mask out in town and in bars or restaurants until food arrives and in shops, hotels etc. however no need to wear out on the trail. Or if sitting in a hotel garden. then I saw something saying it’s tighter than this in Galicia...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I can understand your confusion @Kazibar, the Spanish are too! Most of the 17 autonomous regions have increased the requirements lately to include the use in ALL PUBLIC PLACES both inside and out even if you can distance. This indeed means that you wear one sitting outside a bar/restaurant and keeping it on until your food or drink arrives then you can take it off. I know, I know this does not make sense but it's the law. The fine everywhere is 100 euros when you do not comply.

Where there is some discussion is the use during walking in nature. My take is that the Camino is a sport and therefore it is not needed. I walk everyday along the Camino when no one is around and you can be sure that I am not wearing a mask. Should I pass someone and am close, then I put on my mask otherwise I just keep my distance.

I don't believe that it is any different in Galicia except that one encounters many more pilgrims while walking the last 100 km and therefore may need to wear it more frequently. Since you are stopping in O Cebreiro (just into Galicia) this will be less of an issue I assume.

Stop by and say hello if you get a chance.

Put the mask on in cities/busy villages and indoor areas. Thats how most people do it

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks, Ivar. I’m so looking forwards to my visit. I have pretty advanced cancer and thought I would never walk again. This summer I realized I may not be able to do 25km any ore, but with luck, I can do 10km.... I am back into chemo in September. This could be my last chance to go... Cant wait

Firstly good luck with the chemo.

Second why not wear the mask around your neck and if you see anybody, anywhere pop it into place? If you're already ailing there's no need to take additional risks.

Hope it all turns out for the best for you.

BC

Thanks, Ivar. I’m so looking forwards to my visit. I have pretty advanced cancer and thought I would never walk again. This summer I realized I may not be able to do 25km any ore, but with luck, I can do 10km.... I am back into chemo in September. This could be my last chance to go... Cant wait
Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Speaking of wearing the mask around your neck, do you own a Buff? It works nicely as a face cover, or as an eye cover if the street light shines on your bed at night, or to keep your neck warm if a cold front comes along.

Or you could just stow a mask in your pants pocket or rolled-up in your pack strap pocket...I will say that I find keeping the pleats makes my mask a lot more comfortable, but if yours is the curved-seam type you don't have pleats anyway. Folding the pleated kind in half vertically helps keep the pleats in order. HTH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back