• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Masks: If you need one which one should You buy in Europe?

Marbe2

Time of past OR future Camino
2015-2023 walked all or part of CF 11 times
Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am currently on the Camino Portugues, week four. I have just the basic thin cloth minimal type. It has not been a problem except for two instances. An airport and an underground. In both cases, when the security person said that mine was not proper the freely handed me the proper type. -Gigi

Does anyone know if a bandana is okay or if the preferred is a medical type mask?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Last edited by a moderator:
FFP2 masks are available everywhere in my country, I’m sure it is the same in Spain.
After use, I put them in a plastic bag and use them again.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
IMHO the FFP2 are not needed when you are not working as a medical professional.
Surgical masks will do perfectly and every supermarket or farmacia sells them.
Like I said on another thread I advice against bandanas or cotton masks when on a Camino because you cannot be sure to have them washed at 60 Celsius, the minimum temparature needed for sufficient cleaning.
Also take into consideration that a surgical mask can only be worn for max 8 hours and then you have to throw it away. If you sweat alot you might want to consider to change it more often.

N95 masks are respirators.

If I am in a contained area, where I might actually need to use PPE, on, say a bus in Spain, where I have no idea who is vaccinated, or how good the ventilation is, yes, I would wear an N95 respirator, that is my best protection. And yes, I would then wear a second medical mask, which would protect the other people. This has not been an uncommonpractice for me. I do this on all trains, planes etc.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I posted this image in March 2021 to explain the differences between chirurgical masks (blue), FFP2 and FFP3 masks without valve, and home-made masks, tissue masks and masks with a valve. I don't remember the context.

The text says "You cannot enter with these masks" and "You can enter with these masks".

While I don't know the situation in Spain, I'd expect the masks on the right to be widely available, in shops and pharmacies. Where I live and where required, I use the blue masks and occasionally the FFP2 masks without valve. Both types have a CE mark.

mascarillas-jpg.95614

The old N95 respirators luckily were at home, prior to the pandemic -those had the value. Those I had used when we painted or sprayed our grounds outside. There was no concern about infecting others.

When the pandemic hit getting a mask was not easy here. The country had sent PPE elsewhere and was completely unprepared for a pandemic. So I added a cloth mask and used the N95 valve respirators to shop. Later, I added a one time medical mask to valveN95s. In March, after completing vaccination shots, plus two weeks, we began using KN95s alone. Neither the KN95s or the new N95s have a valve. However, when enclosed in a car, a bus, or a train or plane I put a medical mask on as well! Since I am not moving around the second covering causes no discomfort.

IMHO the FFP2 are not needed when you are not working as a medical professional.
Surgical masks will do perfectly and every supermarket or farmacia sells them.
Like I said on another thread I advice against bandanas or cotton masks when on a Camino because you cannot be sure to have them washed at 60 Celsius, the minimum temparature needed for sufficient cleaning.
Also take into consideration that a surgical mask can only be worn for max 8 hours and then you have to throw it away. If you sweat alot you might want to consider to change it more often.
I agree with you but I only use the mask when I enter an enclosed space or public transport, I do not intend to walk with it unless required to do so by regulations.
I only sit on open terraces where masks are usually not required.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Does anyone know if a bandana is okay or if the preferred is a medical type mask?
Early in the pandemic, before I had a ready supply of masks, I was using a buff, folded to double thickness, over my mouth and nose. I later say some research that seemed to indicate that the practice was worse than wearing nothing at all. I can't speak to bandanas, but I believe from what I've seen that the cloth masks designed for the purpose seem somewhat effective, and not far off from the disposable paper masks that are sold around here in boxes of 50, but not as good as the N95s (or equivalents).

I'm not sure if it is still the recommendation here, but for a while they were advising double-masking, with both the disposable paper and cloth masks for people not in a medical setting.

Masks: If you need one which one should you buy in Europe?
It depends on where in Europe you are. I checked this morning with someone who lives in the land of Bavaria: they are still obliged to wear FFP2 masks on public transport and as customers in retails shops.

Bandanas and scarves as public health related protection are not ok. That was allowed in early 2020, not in 2021.

In Belgium, ffp2 are readily available, but mostly worn by health care professionals. Paper surgical masks, and purpose-made cloth masks are allowed for public transport, shops, busy streets where social distanceing isn’t possible. I was in the hospital earlier this week, and they insisted on at least a paper surgical mask or an ffp2. Bandanas, scarfs, buffs and the like haven’t been accepted as protection since mid-2020, when ”real” masks became readily available.

buen camino 😷

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Respirator masks were not allowed where I live and work in the States from very early on, since they could spread Covid. You can get a KN-95 mask that is a non respirator mask and around here they seem to be some of the best available. I bought a box of them for my Camino in August.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back