• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Masks in trees??

kori

Time of past OR future Camino
April 22
Camino Portuguese in April... and outskirts of SC walking through woodlands, there is a stretch where masks and tissue paper were hanging from low hanging branches of trees. Quite a few actually. And seemed not to be random.
Anyone know why?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The only explanation I can think of is that someone noticed them on the ground and decided to put them in the trees, to be a challenge to people following. Would the following people at least take the hint to NOT discard such rubbish? Would someone collect the garbage and clean the path?
Not an update on "wishing trees" by any chance? :)

Samarkand

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not an update on "wishing trees" by any chance? :)
I suspect something of the sort might be happening. Every so often a new "tradition" seems to pop up out of nowhere. At one time there were hundreds of crosses made of intertwined sticks fixed to part of the airport chain link fence as the Camino Frances approached Santiago. And a short distance from those there was an area of woodland where many of the trees had items of clothing left hanging from them. Slightly disturbing. A tree on the Camino Sanabres very near the Galicia border has many shoes swinging from its branches. It only takes one person to leave their mark in a distinctive way and others may follow their example. I shudder at the sordid mess the Cruz de Ferro has become in recent years because of this trend.

Hi!
This is my 5 cents worth on the matter.
We live in a World now where we have to leave some kind of mark to signify our existence.
Like Bradypus said people follow by example and some examples people follow are thoughtless!
As time passes they become an eyesore and a problem for others to solve.

Make a wish and hold it in your heart!
You don't need to spoil nature to do it.
A tree is a wonderful thing and it's beauty is not enhanced by someone's old boot, buff or used face mask hanging off it!
No one knows you left it and no one really cares why you left it as they pass!
Cruz de Ferro should be the place; just leave your stone! (that in itself has an impact)

People should be glad they walked and leave the Camino as it was for others to enjoy!
Bit of a moany old s*d i know :)
Enjoy the day.
Woody
PS Years ago(late1980's) i visited Morocco and travelled to Tangiers overland; never in my life had i seen such a mess!
Woodland full of hundreds of bin liners in trees, fields with plastic bottles and cartons as a crop, puddles a hundred feet long in the street full of rubbish people followed by example then and still do!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Unfortunately, young people here, on rare occasions, at best “prank” a place with toilet paper. Seniors in high school, e.g. spread toilet paper all over the bushes outside our high school years ago. They were caught them and they could not attend the graduation ceremony.

Sorry to report that sometimes , worse yet, people desecrate” solemn places as hostile acts with toilet places.

Using masks is a new wrinkle.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was reading an online post about his camino recently, and a quite pious man walking a camino was making it his practice to leave stones all over the place, with a prayer, as memorials to various persons. He seemed to think this a normal religious practice for pilgrims. I can't say that he was wrong.

I was reading an online post about his camino recently, and a quite pious man walking a camino was making it his practice to leave stones all over the place, with a prayer, as memorials to various persons. He seemed to think this a normal religious practice for pilgrims. I can't say that he was wrong.
Leaving a rock in a nature setting is way better than leaving your gross mask hanging from a tree. Shouldn't we all make the effort to leave a place better than we found it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I loathe this silly habit of people behaving like lemmings - follow the pack no matter how silly.

Anyone locally prepared to go and clear the tree and dispose of the masks properly? I'd do it but Sydney is a bit far. If someone volunteers I will meet the challenge by going on a litter walk here.

One thing I noticed in Austria (from whence we have just returned) was the complete absence of litter. It was wonderful. It might be that lots of public money gets devoted to keeping things clean, and other countries do not have that luxury, but it certainly lifts the spirits.

Camino Portuguese in April... and outskirts of SC walking through woodlands, there is a stretch where masks and tissue paper were hanging from low hanging branches of trees. Quite a few actually. And seemed not to be random.
Anyone know why?
I noticed these masks on my last day walking the Camino Portuguuese into SDC in early May and was also very curious. When I got home I googled it but coudn't find anything there. I don't think it was as simple as pilgrims following suit as they walked by, because they seemed like they were in difficult spots to hang and it would have taken some effort. I wonder if they are still there or if its been cleaned up since?

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back