• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Masks not required outside in Spain starting June 26th

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Fantastic news !! I will be very happy next week.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Will masks still be required indoors in stores, albergues, cathedrals, bars and restaurants? We don't begin our camino from St Jean until Sept 17, but will bring along a few masks just in case. Bob

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
WHOA - NOT SO FAST fellow pilgrims! This appeared in todays' La Voz de Galicia:

Simply stated, while the outdoor mask mandate will be lifted across Spain, individual autonomous communities, like Galicia can adopt their own rules regarding use of face masks.

The article states that you must continue to wear a mask outdoors if the safety distance (1.5 meters IIRC) cannot be maintained.

"it (the mask) should not be removed if the safety distance is not maintained , "It is not the same to walk through a mountain as to get into the street of wines..."

So, be prepared to mask up, at least in Galicia, at least until this changes - again.

Hope this helps.

Tom

All Spain or different regions responses
Jumping ahead not helpful and expensive
Elephant in room the Delta Variant

The article states that you must continue to wear a mask outdoors if the safety distance (1.5 meters IIRC) cannot be maintained.
That's just a variation on the general theme of the conditions attached to this relaxation. In practice, it's likely to be some cities and in some crowds where some requirement will persist.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Due to my line of work I have the mask on all the time when inside. Even when on housecalls and walking / biking from one place to another I keep my mask on. It is too much a nuisance to put it on and off every time I go in and out somewhere.
I still prefer to err on the side of caution.Until herd immunity is reached even the fully vaccinated ( like me ) can be an asymptomatic spreader.
I think of all the workers on the Covidwards in hospitals who are still treating people. Always in full uniform ( and lots of extra plastic to cover up ) and tight masks.
So my " sacrifice " means nothing compared to their hard work.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So, alone on the Camino no mask would be required.
That has been the case for a very long time already, as the individual practice of sports (long-distance hiking is a sport) has since almost the start benefited from a particular exemption.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ironically they've just been reintroduced where I live.

Due to my line of work I have the mask on all the time when inside. Even when on housecalls and walking / biking from one place to another I keep my mask on. It is too much a nuisance to put it on and off every time I go in and out somewhere.
I still prefer to err on the side of caution.Until herd immunity is reached even the fully vaccinated ( like me ) can be an asymptomatic spreader.
I think of all the workers on the Covidwards in hospitals who are still treating people. Always in full uniform ( and lots of extra plastic to cover up ) and tight masks.
So my " sacrifice " means nothing compared to their hard work.
I totally agree with you on the level of 'sacrifice' compared to the nurses and doctors on the Covidwards. It is just that it has always felt extremely unuseful to wear masks in the open air. I have been wearing masks on empty parking lots, in nature, on beaches and on empty streets for almost a year now and I am happy that is over. For the rest I will take any required measure seriously.

Most people are still in their masks, here in Navarra anyway, though the proportion of those outside maskless seems to have risen a little.

I'm changing my own habits ; instead of keeping one dangling annoyingly at my throat, I'm keeping a different type of cloth one in my pocket.

In santiago today, about 95% of people in the streets are using masks…

Was in Leuven ( Belgium ) today and I estimated 80 % used a mask. It was busy with shoppers but everyone was really courteous.
I do like this discipline in solidarity.
And again young people seem to be even more conscious about wearing a mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.