A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

COVID Masks to be compulsory in Spain until virus 'permanently' defeated: Health Minister

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67185

I ran across this story and thought it might be of interest. I have no idea of the accuracy of the story as to what an actual policy will look like. We'll just have to wait and see.

Will a 'buff' count as a mask???? :)

Dr Fauci, NIH Director of the CDC Institute for Allergies and Infectious Diseases was referenced in the article regarding a vaccine. This is a more complete look at what Dr Fauci has recently stated:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamie K

lifelong pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
Camino France (May and June 2017)
Portuguese Camino (May and June 2018)
Possibly Le-Puy or VDLP
I feel that the Camino will no longer be the same as before... The end of this era is leading us toward another stage that will require things from the pilgrims that we didn't dare to imagine.. Wearing mask, hygienic concerns over things in excessive manners, personal spaces or 2 meters apart.. getting sick becoming a big concern that may result in being sent home, not sharing food and not sitting closely when having dinner altogether around a small wooden table.. All many other usual things may not be allowed from now on.
I'm glad I experienced what the Camino was like before the pandemic but not enough! that, I regret.
Just a thought.

Telboyo

Camino(s) past & future
I intend to leave the UK the day Before Brexit and walkMarch -April 2019 Camino Frances
In the UK a buff would be OK as a face covering on public transport which becomes compulsory next week. Sorry that should read England.

D

Deleted member 67185

When I asked about the 'buff', it was meant to be lighthearted. Plus, Ivar might have a hot commodity to sell, if it meets Spain's code.

While a buff or cloth mask is ok in many places and nations, and others not so much, the story was about Spain, so I guess that was the what I intended to pose the question about. . . So, Ivar, what say you :)

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Currently on a "Virtual" Camino and striding out across Castile y Leon!
For whatever it’s worth, when masks became compulsory in shops in Portugal a few weeks ago, I tried to go into the local supermarket with a buff covering my nose and mouth and was denied entry.
Just this week in Portugal, British tourists were arrested in the Western Algarve for refusing to wear masks in a supermarket. Apparently, they were told twice & answered they were only there for a short time. Within minutes the police arrived . . .

Isca-camigo

Camino(s) past & future
Various ones.
Masks make sense for the forceable future, it's said they don't stop you catching it but reduce risk of me or anyone passing it on if they have it, well if everyone's wearing masks then that is reducing the risk of me catching it in my eyes.

OxFyrd

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese 2018, voie d'Arles 2019 (Arles -Santiago)
Scheduled : Le Puy-Bilbao - Primitivo
I ran across this story and thought it might be of interest. I have no idea of the accuracy of the story as to what an actual policy will look like. We'll just have to wait and see.

Will a 'buff' count as a mask???? :)

Dr Fauci, NIH Director of the CDC Institute for Allergies and Infectious Diseases was referenced in the article regarding a vaccine. This is a more complete look at what Dr Fauci has recently stated:

This is very sensitive matter on the social networks... Better to be accurate.. :) The Spanish Health Minister's comments come just days after Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez told journalists that everyone in Spain over the age of six will have to wear face masks in public places " AS LONG AS it is not possible to maintain the safety distance” of 1.5 to 2 meters.

This official anouncement comply with European best practices and WHO recommendation (Advice on the use of masks in the context of COVID-19 - Interim guidance - 5 June 2020).
You can download at : https://apps.who.int/iris/rest/bitstreams/1279750/retrieve

In page 6 of said document, “Guidance on the use of masks for the general public “ ,
1/ WHO recommends that persons with any symptoms suggestive of COVID-19 should : • wear a medical mask, self-isolate, and seek medical advice as soon as they start to feel unwell with potential symptoms of COVID-19
2/ Also page 6, Advice to decision makers on the use of masks for the general public : Many countries have recommended the use of fabric masks/face coverings for the general public. At the present time, the widespread use of masks by healthy people in the community setting is not yet supported by high quality . … However, taking into account the available studies evaluating pre- and asymptomatic transmission, …. as well as the difficulty of physical distancing in many contexts, WHO has updated its guidance to advise that to prevent COVID-19 transmission effectively in areas of community transmission … etc..
3/ table 2 in page 7 , provides examples of where the general public should be encouraged to use medical and non-medical masks in areas with known or suspected community transmission .
Very instructive table. Medical mask is mandatory where physical distancing cannot be achieved for vulnerable population and when close-by any covid symptoms. Non-medical mask in areas with/suspected widespread transmission ( shops, churches etc..) and places where people live in cramped conditions ( refugee camps etc.. )
4/Buff works perfectly but is not a mask under european standards. You may not be entitled to access to shops (that are asking for mask), neither in public transport, etc.. In fact with a buff, you do protect the other but not yourself.

Also, Let us not mix situations where we are facing a Covid case and the more general situation when we just don’t know (example on the Camino,)

kelleymac

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
March/April 2015, Late April 2016, Sept/Oct 2017, April 2019.
Here in New York State (I live about 5 hours drive from NYC), we are required by law to wear masks in anyplace where we will be in contact with people closer than 6' (about 2 meters). So that is every store, every building.

-- My boy scout troop will be meeting this Saturday for the first time since March (we've been meeting on zoom). We'll be outside, 6 ft apart, and wearing masks. We're having a "pick up trash" service project at a community park. (The scouts are completely psyched to get out of their houses.) Next week-- we're having an easy 2 mile hike for the new scouts, and 10 miles for the more experienced.

OxFyrd

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese 2018, voie d'Arles 2019 (Arles -Santiago)
Scheduled : Le Puy-Bilbao - Primitivo
Here in New York State (I live about 5 hours drive from NYC), we are required by law to wear masks in anyplace where we will be in contact with people closer than 6' (about 2 meters). So that is every store, every building.

-- My boy scout troop will be meeting this Saturday for the first time since March (we've been meeting on zoom). We'll be outside, 6 ft apart, and wearing masks. We're having a "pick up trash" service project at a community park. (The scouts are completely psyched to get out of their houses.) Next week-- we're having an easy 2 mile hike for the new scouts, and 10 miles for the more experienced.
Policy is matter of governments. BTW, living in Monaco, frontier with France and Italy, I started hiking in the Alps the 11 of may, with mask when traveling in bus or cars. Not on the trail where people are following the rules of sef-distancing (2m, 8 feet). Everyday on Youtube, I watch what is going on in the US. New York has been the state hit hardest in the U.S by the coronavirus - but it is also a crowded place. Hopefully, here we are ahead now. In France, virus is under control and most likely we are going to quit "state of emergency" by 10 of July. The European Union (EU) will fully reopen its internal borders by the end of June and is expected to start lifting travel restrictions to and from outside the EU early July (without quarantine).
Our concern is how to handle the waves of tourists going to beaches this summer, and avoid at the same time a second wave of Covid. We are going to wear masks for a long period of time. Stay safe and 'stay smart' in this Phase 1 reopening.

Stuartwe

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés 2020
I feel that the Camino will no longer be the same as before... The end of this era is leading us toward another stage that will require things from the pilgrims that we didn't dare to imagine.. Wearing mask, hygienic concerns over things in excessive manners, personal spaces or 2 meters apart.. getting sick becoming a big concern that may result in being sent home, not sharing food and not sitting closely when having dinner altogether around a small wooden table.. All many other usual things may not be allowed from now on.
I'm glad I experienced what the Camino was like before the pandemic but not enough! that, I regret.
Just a thought.
Jamie,your post pretty much echoed my thoughts.
My first Camino would have taken place this September after over 2 years in preparation.
I totally understand that it is very much a personal decision guided by following all the necessary guidelines/regulations etc issued by the appropriate authorities, but I have decided that I do not wish my first experience to be one undertaken in these circumstances.
With a heavy heart,I am looking forward hopefully to another time,whenever that may be,when I can enjoy an a more relaxed,informal Camino of the nature I have read about.
When planning,I was always a little unsure of what my expectations would be but I do not want my memories to consist of social distancing,hygiene issues,or whether I have the right sort of face mask etc....wonder how many you would need to be effective for 6 weeks?
For all those keen and able to go,the very best of luck to you but for me,no thank you....I have waited 60 years and have plenty of patience left in the tank.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Inglés (2019)
This article has up to date information on the issue of masks: https://english.elpais.com/society/...gatory-in-spain-after-the-state-of-alarm.html

Regarding the question of whether a buff will count as a mask, I can't say for sure. But I can tell you that I haven't seen anyone wearing buffs lately, just masks. And this morning I went into a shop and was sent back to the entrance to get some hand sanitizer (and I was only going to ask about something, I wasn't going to start walking around the shop touching stuff).

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Ourense to Santiago (2019), CF: (2014, 2004, 2002, 2001). On to Fisterra, (2002, 4, 14).
In California masks are required for just about every endeavor.

If I enter a: store, building, gym without a mask, both business and I will be fined a 1000 dollars apiece.

Yesterday, I tried to enter mini-mart to pay for gas and the automatic doors stayed closed. I had forgotten my mask. So, I ran back to car, put it on, gained entry.

The owner of a donut shop told me undercover folk check her establishment her thirty minutes. That sounds excessive but she did scream at a teen who entered shop without face covering She demanded he leave.

Vaccine hurry up!

Last edited:

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
In California masks are required for just about every endeavor.

If I enter a: store, building, gym without a mask, both business and I will be fined a 1000 dollars apiece.
I'm pretty sure that is dependent on the jurisdiction of each particular county or city in California.

D

Deleted member 67185

This is very sensitive matter on the social networks... Better to be accurate.. :) The Spanish Health Minister's comments come just days after Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez told journalists that everyone in Spain over the age of six will have to wear face masks in public places " AS LONG AS it is not possible to maintain the safety distance” of 1.5 to 2 meters.

This official anouncement comply with European best practices and WHO recommendation (Advice on the use of masks in the context of COVID-19 - Interim guidance - 5 June 2020).
You can download at : https://apps.who.int/iris/rest/bitstreams/1279750/retrieve

In page 6 of said document, “Guidance on the use of masks for the general public “ ,
1/ WHO recommends that persons with any symptoms suggestive of COVID-19 should : • wear a medical mask, self-isolate, and seek medical advice as soon as they start to feel unwell with potential symptoms of COVID-19
2/ Also page 6, Advice to decision makers on the use of masks for the general public : Many countries have recommended the use of fabric masks/face coverings for the general public. At the present time, the widespread use of masks by healthy people in the community setting is not yet supported by high quality . … However, taking into account the available studies evaluating pre- and asymptomatic transmission, …. as well as the difficulty of physical distancing in many contexts, WHO has updated its guidance to advise that to prevent COVID-19 transmission effectively in areas of community transmission … etc..
3/ table 2 in page 7 , provides examples of where the general public should be encouraged to use medical and non-medical masks in areas with known or suspected community transmission .
Very instructive table. Medical mask is mandatory where physical distancing cannot be achieved for vulnerable population and when close-by any covid symptoms. Non-medical mask in areas with/suspected widespread transmission ( shops, churches etc..) and places where people live in cramped conditions ( refugee camps etc.. )
4/Buff works perfectly but is not a mask under european standards. You may not be entitled to access to shops (that are asking for mask), neither in public transport, etc.. In fact with a buff, you do protect the other but not yourself.

Also, Let us not mix situations where we are facing a Covid case and the more general situation when we just don’t know (example on the Camino,)

The OP contained the same information about masks as what you repeated. For absolute accuracy, this is the actual text of the Order.

Of interest, is that it says ' the obligation referred to in the preceding paragraph shall be deemed to have been fulfilled by the use of any type of mask, preferably hygienic and surgical, that covers the nose and mouth.

So while the Order states what is preferrable, it does not define a minimum standard for the style, material, or type of mask to cover nose and mouth in required situations..

Last edited by a moderator:

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Ourense to Santiago (2019), CF: (2014, 2004, 2002, 2001). On to Fisterra, (2002, 4, 14).
I'm pretty sure that is dependent on the jurisdiction of each particular county or city in California.
Very true.

However, from tip to bottom of state, city to city, some form office covering is required.

Not wholly certain if 1000 fine is statewide or just within Los Angeles County.

Gene_781

Camino(s) past & future
Camino francés, Camino portugués (Tui), Pilgrims Welcome Office, hospitalero 8 times

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
Take note that mask-wearing will not be mandatory in situations where you are easily distant from others by a distance of over 2 metres -- so you won't need to hike in a mask, but you would need one in some situations in the pueblos, and generally in all of the towns and in the albergues.

D

Deleted member 67185

Take note that mask-wearing will not be mandatory in situations where you are easily distant from others by a distance of over 2 metres -- so you won't need to hike in a mask, but you would need one in some situations in the pueblos, and generally in all of the towns and in the albergues.
Correct. It will be similar to what exists in most nations.

Abigail Kelly

Camino(s) past & future
Santiago/Fis/Muxia 2017
A Coruna/Santiago 2017
Portuguese Coastal/Variante Espiritual 2019
D

Deleted member 67185

And just because I know everyone wants to be stylish, look at the new Camino masks in the store!

Ivar, I hope you paid the model well. :p
I am going to order a couple. I need to look at modifying the ties, though. . . the backs of my ears do not like the ear loop methods of tie ons. :)

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018)-Frances, Baztan, San Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra,VdlP, Madrid
I am going to order a couple. I need to look at modifying the ties, though. . . the backs of my ears do not like the ear loop methods of tie ons. :)
Would a simple piece of elastic with a button attached on each end work?

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018)-Frances, Baztan, San Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra,VdlP, Madrid
You can tie a piece of elastic to the ear loops and tie it behind your head.
So obvious! - this is a classic example of seeing the situation as a nail because I have a hammer to use! I like buttons;-)

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)

DyanTX

DyanTX
Camino(s) past & future
CF Sept 22 - Nov 3, 2016
I have no idea of whether buffs would be acceptable as a mask but a buff does not work for me. They are all too loose so don't stay up over my nose properly. That includes the new one I got from Ivar. I would have to alter them to include an elastic earpiece so might just as well wear a true mask. I did purchase one with filter pocket that fits as the disposable ones don't really fit properly either. I believe our state of Maryland, USA just requires "cloth face covering".

zrexer

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2014, 15,16 & 19 Camino Frances
2017 Camino Portuguese
2018 Camino Primitivo
2020 Camino Del Norte
I will look at walking future Camino's once the concerns over covid-19 are 100% over. I have zero interest in dealing with all the restrictions facing anyone attempting a walk now or in the immediate future.
If that day doesn't come, then I certainly have many fond memories of my past walks in Spain and Portugal.

Last edited:

nathanael

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Norte, Plata,
Just a thought.
if too many restrictions people will stay at home I know I will.

Luka

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pelgrimspad I, Via Monastica, Via Podiensis, Via de la Plata, Camino Francés, Camino del Norte...
Does anyone know a good solution for people wearing glasses? When I have to wear a mask (which is quite often here in Spain) I am now choosing between a foggy sight or a blurry sight...

Bala

Veteran member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances: SJPdP-Burgos, (2015); Burgos-Sarria (2018); Sarria-Santiago (2018).
Frances (2020)
Does anyone know a good solution for people wearing glasses? When I have to wear a mask (which is quite often here in Spain) I am now choosing between a foggy sight or a blurry sight...
I'm the same way, fog or blur, sometimes both. So as a result, my hands are constantly up at my face, near my eyes, trying to adjust the mask or glasses, or taking my glasses off to clean or clear them. Since it seems one of the most important things we can do is keep our hands off our faces, this is very self-defeating.

But rules is rules, and the rules say mask. 😕

C & W

Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP to Santiago (2015)
Lourdes to Jaca (2016)
Pamplona to Santiago (2018)
Washing the lenses of the glasses with soap and water will provide temporary relief from the fogging

pepi

Camino(s) past & future
2013, 14, 16, 17, 18
I feel that the Camino will no longer be the same as before... The end of this era is leading us toward another stage that will require things from the pilgrims that we didn't dare to imagine.
May I respectfully disagree. As a "five timer" of CF/CN I look forward to walk a new Camino again in due time. The same places, same albergues and hostals, but....to discover myself anew. And I hope that I have changed since my last walk! The Camino is just an old trek, it lives on because it is inside every peregrino. Therefore it changes, as the peregrino changes.

So don't look back to find your last Camino; rather discover a new one and what has changed inside you.

Buen Camino

Luka

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pelgrimspad I, Via Monastica, Via Podiensis, Via de la Plata, Camino Francés, Camino del Norte...
Washing the lenses of the glasses with soap and water will provide temporary relief from the fogging
Thanks! I tried that, but the relief was hardly noticeable.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
I don't normally need to wear glasses while wearing my mask, but according to the article below, placing a tissue at the top of your mask will collect the moisture before it reaches your glasses.

Screenshot_20200613-104820_Firefox.jpg

nathanael

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Norte, Plata,
I understand the situation since I wear glasses I know only one way to reduce the foggy glasses not putting it over the nose, but then that is the only way and not acceptable

Luka

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Thanks @trecile, I haven't tried that one yet!

Luka

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I understand the situation since I wear glasses I know only one way to reduce the foggy glasses not putting it over the nose, but then that is the only way and not acceptable
Yes, then the foggy glasses problem would be solved, but the function of the mask would be gone as well...

C clearly

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016), VDLP (2017), Mozarabe (2018), Vasco/Bayona (2019)
placing a tissue at the top of your mask will collect the moisture before it reaches your glasses.
I have tried the tissue once, but found it awkward as a normal practice. Every time you remove the mask, it requires re-folding and replacing the tissue, and getting it just right.

There are been thousands (?) of patterns for home made cloth masks on the internet. However, they are all designed to be simple to make, and more importantly, simple to explain how to make. That means that custom fitting isn't done.

I expect that masks will be with us into the indefinite future, so I want to have a mask or two that fit my face comfortably but might also be effective as protection. I tried 5 different styles, but was not happy wearing any of them, mainly due to my glasses. I then made a second modified version of one, and like it much better. I'm going to make another couple to improve even more. Attached are 2 photos.

I can wear this model around my neck, pull it up over my face and put the elastic behind my head without touching the face of the mask. (Honestly, though, I find the authoritative instructions to never touch the mask to be unsustainable in real life. One must figure out how to get the benefit from the mask, with the least contamination, yet go about one's life. With practice, we will get more comfortable with this.)

Only for those who really want to try the fiddly adjustments themselves, here is what I did...
  • Based it on this video. Only at the last steps can you see how it works to create some space in front of your nose and mouth.
  • Cut it about 1" (2 cm) larger in both directions and marked the corners at 6 cm instead of 5 cm shown in the video.
  • Used 3 layers - fine but dense cotton damask on the inside, non-woven interfacing in the middle, and a cotton-poly blend on the outside.
  • Made a channel at the top, and inserted a 3" gear tie (from my Camino collection) to firmly hold the fabric down away from my glasses. This is very important to help reduce fogging of the glasses.
  • For the last lines of (vertical) stitching to hold the folds in position, I adjusted the final fold at the top so the inside fabric is held a bit lower down on the face.
  • Used a continuous piece of elastic cord, so that one loop is around the back of the neck and the mask can hang there. When you want to put the mask on, pull the upper loop over the back of your head. I also used a squeeze "cord stopper" from my Camino collection.

Attachments

Luka

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Wow @C clearly that is a wonderful piece of art you made!

Calibasco

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés, bici 2.002 y 2.020 - desde Luzaide (pueblo de familia)
Intriguing if the translation is indeed correct "until the virus is completely defeated." Variants of the coronavirus have been around for 1200 years and we've been aware of them as long as virology has been a part of modern medicine. "Coronavirus" will never be "completely defeated," so we're left to take precautions. Hoping that normalcy and levelheadedness will win the day. Curious: Are pilgrims that happen to be on the Camino at present required to wear masks while walking (not asking about being in albergues, etc., but while physically on the Camino walking)? I would find that odd, but just wanted to know.

C clearly

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016), VDLP (2017), Mozarabe (2018), Vasco/Bayona (2019)
Are pilgrims that happen to be on the Camino at present required to wear masks while walking
Pilgrims would be required to do the same as everyone else, and that is changing daily and in every region. I expect that the principle of physical distancing - whether 1.5 m or 2 m - is an important one and gives a useful starting point.

According to the English article (linked in post 20 above), "The decree includes the obligatory use of face masks in closed public spaces where a 1.5-meter safe distance cannot be observed... The decree also leaves open the possibility of regulating their use in the open air... the application of the restrictions and the measures will fall to regional authorities..."

Luka

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Are pilgrims that happen to be on the Camino at present required to wear masks while walking (not asking about being in albergues, etc., but while physically on the Camino walking)? I would find that odd, but just wanted to know.
No. Apart from situations where keeping 1,5m distance is difficult. So I can imagine it would be necessary on some parts of the Sarria - Santiago stretch. However this year it certainly won't be as crowded as usual. And you might have to wear them in the center of certain towns.

Luka

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
And what @C clearly says. Here in Asturias for example, the municipality of Llanes has made wearing masks mandatory in the towns of Llanes, Nueva and Posada. But generally speaking you won't have to wear them when walking or hiking outside of towns.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Intriguing if the translation is indeed correct "until the virus is completely defeated." Variants of the coronavirus have been around for 1200 years and we've been aware of them as long as virology has been a part of modern medicine. "Coronavirus" will never be "completely defeated,"
People aren't referring to all coronavirus, but specifically SARS-CoV-2. And you are right, it will probably never be completely defeated, but hopefully we will come to a point where there is a vaccine to reduce transmission and/or a good treatment protocol to prevent so many deaths and long term consequences that some have.

ObeeOne

Camino(s) past & future
Planning stage for 2020
Evidence is showing that masks do not filter out the virus. They are only helpful if one happens to be sick and so may not cough on others but, if sick, should not be out and about anyway. Also the WHO is now saying that asymptomatic people do not spread the virus. The fatality rate is now less than one-half of one percent! It is those elderly and those with comorbidities that are most susceptible. This mask wearing and 'social distancing' among the healthy who are not sick and have not been sick is more of a control than a health issue. And to be hiking with a mask on is certainly counter productive and deleterious to one's health! It decreases oxygen and increases CO2. If such requirements remain in place, I do not wish to walk the Camino; it is as simple as that. Also, the common cold and the various strains of flu have never been conquered and never will and this goes for this virus as well. I will not take some toxic vaccine rushed through with God knows what in it.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago and beyond (from home; Voie de Tours; Camino Francés; Biskaya; Manche; Via Brabantica)
All the camino lists need updating to include face mask(s) and a ziplock bag or other suitable container where you keep your face mask while not using it. The forum shop sells masks, Decathlon in Spain and presumably elsewhere sells masks ... how many to take with you in your backpack, disposable or washable, which fabric is preferable and why, best way to make the mask stay in place on your head ... the forum community seems to be slow in realising that there is so much more to discuss than the WHO's latest press release and the hidden mechanisms of government control ... 🙃🤭.

D

Deleted member 67185

All the camino lists need updating to include face mask(s) and a ziplock bag or other suitable container where you keep your face mask while not using it. The forum shop sells masks, Decathlon in Spain and presumably elsewhere sells masks ... how many to take with you in your backpack, disposable or washable, which fabric is preferable and why, best way to make the mask stay in place on your head ... the forum community seems to be slow in realising that there is so much more to discuss than the WHO's latest press release and the hidden mechanisms of government control ... 🙃🤭.
To lighten the load, there are now Ultralight masks that are 1/1000 the weight of the average mask, made out of the new Unobtanium Fabric, and held in place with strands of hair shed from the tails of unicorns.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago and beyond (from home; Voie de Tours; Camino Francés; Biskaya; Manche; Via Brabantica)
We could also try to tap into the considerable experience of our (mainly) South Korean pilgrim friends who as I clearly remember after stepping out of the church in Navarette and seeing a couple of them walking past at a considerable speed have apparently mastered the art of walking and wearing a face mask at the same time - voluntarily, I hasten to add.

LTfit

Veteran Member
There seems to be some misunderstanding regarding the governmental decree regarding the use of face masks and distancing. They will be in place until the government determines it's safe to do without, meaning when there is a vaccine or other treatment. There is no mention of it being defeated.

And it really doesn't matter what you personally believe regarding the benefit (or not) of using masks. Like it or not, it is mandatory in Spain when you can not maintain distancing of at least 1.5 meter.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
It is really not so difficult to grasp: Spain has just experienced a major epidemic. Epidemic, noun, a widespread occurrence of an infectious disease in a community at a particular time. They don't want another epidemic. If they don't take any measures of protection and prevention against it right now, it is highly likely that there will be another widespread occurrence of the Covid-19 disease very soon in Spain.

There is little point in discussing a single word in a newspaper headline in English about a Spanish law that it is in force now in Spain and was announced by a Spanish minister in a press conference about a week ago.

Don Camillo

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 04-16
Norte/Primitivo 09-16
VdlP/ Sanabres 02/3-17
Levante 09/17,
Ruta de la Lana 09/18
Legality aside for a moment, wearing a mask, carrying alcohol gel and keeping distance will become the new common sense and has already for some of us. That is probably the easy bit. My concern is that getting travel or backpacker Insurance has just become a lot more expensive. One of my policies has notified that they are excluding all covid 19 related cover. Presumably once they work out their small print it will be a condition of cover that you wear a mask of some sort. Watch and wait.
Don.

LTfit

Veteran Member
Off topic but I just posted in the Announcements forum that Spain will open it's borders with the EU (except Portugal) on June 22nd instead of the original July 1st. Portugal has requested that the border remain closed until July 1st.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Inglés (2019)
Rubbing bar soap on your lenses works quite well for me. You rub the dry soap on the lenses and then gently remove residue with a soft, dry cloth.

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Laugh or cry; I don’t know.

Today, Governor Newsome of California issued a statewide decree: masks are required inside or out unless 6 feet of separation can be maintained.

Some counties are already accusing Governor of overreach.

We shall see.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
overreach
When I read about these kinds of discussions in the public space, I feel like saying: "The world is moving on ...".

I guess wearing face masks is not a topic of much public discussion in say South Korea or Japan. I don't know about the mood and the feelings in Spain about wearing or having to wear face masks actually but if I were in Spain I'd probably feel pretty much the same about this topic as I feel about it at home now: I myself still feel a bit odd when wearing a face mask but I wear it where I have to wear it by law explicitly or where I am required to wear it by the proprietors of the buildings or office spaces I happen to visit for one reason or another (which would be a Camino albergue in Spain for example) or where I judge that it's more or less appropriate to wear one. I can only shake my head when I read that this is being turned into an ideological battle by some. I wonder whether the topic is going to join the group of indiscussable forum topics soon. 🙃

Last edited:

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
Rubbing bar soap on your lenses works quite well for me. You rub the dry soap on the lenses and then gently remove residue with a soft, dry cloth.
Apparently, there are also anti-fog sprays or wipes or you can rinse the glasses with soapy water - I guess you could use dishwashing liquid? - but I've not tried any of this yet. It helps to use a mask that has a flexible metal strip inside that allows wearers to sculpt it to their face. If you don't have this: suggestions are sewing a piece of wire into a cloth mask or even using twist ties (as come with sandwich bags).

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock