• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Types of Masks to Wear on the Camino

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In France on the street in shops, restos and transport all are required to wear masks/masques and
FFP2 masques are considered best.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When hiking, I like to tie a double folded bandana around my neck and then pull it up over my nose when needed. This is common for everyday wear in my area. Not interested in debating the pros and cons of this type of mask, just wondering if there are any special EU/Spanish requirements that may preclude this type of masking.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Not interested in debating the pros and cons of this type of mask, just wondering if there are any special EU/Spanish requirements that may preclude this type of masking.
There are no EU wide requirements.

On public transport and in shops, restaurants and similar - depending on EU country or on region with EU country or on town - you may be required to wear, as minimum protection, a surgical mask ("blue mask") and even an FFP2 mask (aka KN95 or N95) as a legal requirement.

I very vaguely remember that someone reported several months ago that they were admonished by staff in a metro station in either Spain or Portugal because they wore a cloth mask. I vaguely remember even a poster in Spanish that said so but no idea how to find it again.

Where such minimum requirements exist, you are expected to comply. Reenforcement is random or non-existent. As far as I can tell from all I have heard first hand or read. And this concerns only public transport, shops, restaurants. Not hiking.

We have not seen that sort of “mask” in the past 5 weeks walking the Camino. Mask compliance is very high here — probably greater than 99%. We haven’t seen any of the common end runs — bandanas, nose not covered, etc. The only exception is eating and drinking. Even then everyone seems very serious about Covid. Much more than where we live in US and much more so than we were before we arrived in Spain.

What kind of masks are you wearing on the camino? Disposable? Cloth?
1642097168008.png
OK, naughty. And despite acquiring a couple of Ivar's lovely Camino Sello decorated cloth masks some time ago these days I wear FFP3 or surgical disposable depending on circumstance. Washing cloth masks at 60C every use is to much of a chore.

Please note all my pilgrimages in 2020 & 2021 have been undertaken in the UK.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Where such minimum requirements exist, you are expected to comply. Reenforcement is random or non-existent. As far as I can tell from all I have heard first hand or read. And this concerns only public transport, shops, restaurants. Not hiking.
Not required or expected for hiking.

Yesterday we were stopped by the local police on the trail — they were camino patrol and have a specially marked van saying this (we took a picture). We got a stamp from them, had a pleasant conversation (always order pulpo), and then they spent 3-5 minutes reminding us about masks when we weren’t hiking and to always keep our packs with us. We thought they were bored and glad to see some peregrinos, but they were very serious about masks.

We thought they were bored and glad to see some peregrinos, but they were very serious about masks.
It is always interesting to read first hand reports from peregrinos like you who are currently walking in Spain. Thank you!

Also, I should have added to my general comment that the comment concerns things like public transport, shops, restaurants (IF required) and anywhere where the required safety distance cannot be kept, for example in busy public spaces with lots of people - I think this is or was a requirement in Spain/Spanish regions?

just wondering if there are any special EU/Spanish requirements that may preclude this type of masking.
I don’t think I ever saw anyone in Spain or Portugal wearing a bandana instead of a mask, so it depends on whether you want to go with the flow or take a chance that there will be a confrontation. On an Iberia flight from Madrid to Chicago in November, a passenger with a bandana was denied boarding till he got something else, but I don’t know if this was a legal requirement, an Iberia policy, or the preference of the flight attendant.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Also, I should have added to my general comment that the comment concerns things like public transport, shops, restaurants (IF required) and anywhere where the required safety distance cannot be kept, for example in busy public spaces with lots of people - I think this is or was a requirement in Spain/Spanish regions?
I’m not sure about the rest of Spain but everywhere we’ve been on the Portuguese it’s a requirement in public transport, taxis, shops, restaurants when not eating (we were politely reminded a couple of times when we first got here - we came from a place where no one wears masks), and crowds and we haven’t seen any violations.

There are no EU wide requirements.

On public transport and in shops, restaurants and similar - depending on EU country or on region with EU country or on town - you may be required to wear, as minimum protection, a surgical mask ("blue mask") and even an FFP2 mask (aka KN95 or N95) as a legal requirement.

I very vaguely remember that someone reported several months ago that they were admonished by staff in a metro station in either Spain or Portugal because they wore a cloth mask. I vaguely remember even a poster in Spanish that said so but no idea how to find it again.

Thanks for the feedback! I will probably bring a couple of surgical mask along with me, they weight almost nothing, but I like the ability to quickly pull up and pull down a bandana. They seem to be very popular in my area among hikers and even non-hikers on the street. I actually think the double cloth face covering is more effective than a surgical mask and the mask extends done to the neck area. Regardless, if someone of authority challenges it, I'll have the surgical mask in my pocket. I do not plan on bring an N95, as they are difficult to shove in your pocket and doing so messes with the fit and effectiveness of the mask.

I do not plan on bring an N95, as they are difficult to shove in your pocket and doing so messes with the fit and effectiveness of the mask.
Just for info, not for advice: I personally don't like to wear the N95 masks but I have started to use them now. I always have a few surgical masks and a few N95 masks in my daypack (wearing a mask is required in shops and public transport where I live). Both types of masks fold up flat and are easy to store and to pull out from wherever I keep them. When not in use, I put them in a small plastic bag. If I meet someone outside and want to chat, I either put on a mask or keep a distance. I can't speak for Spain but around here people would find it odd when someone would use a bandana.

I did this only once in recent months: When I stepped onto a bus and found myself without a mask. I crept into the corner on my seat and pulled my jacket over my nose and hoped that nobody would notice. Everyone else was wearing a proper mask of course and I felt soo embarrassed. Luckily, it was a very short ride and I could get off soon afterwards.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My CAN 95 masks are very comfortable, and easier to breath through than my former 3-layer cloth masks. They fold nicely flat and can be placed in a plastic bag or pocket without damaging the fit. It is true that I take a little more care in not shoving them into my pocket, but that seems a small price to pay for the protection and/or the respect for others.

Any authoritative comparison that I have seen shows that a folded bandana is not as effective as a surgical or N95 mask. Some multi-layered cloth masks come close, but they are very variable.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I do not plan on bring an N95, as they are difficult to shove in your pocket and doing so messes with the fit and effectiveness of the mask.
That really depends on the N95 mask that you use. Some are molded in a cup shape, others fold flat. Personally, I prefer to wear KN95 mask with ear loops - more comfortable, and easier to put on and take off. The masks that I buy look similar to those that @Kathar1na pictured. I buy them from bonafidemasks.com
I like the ability to quickly pull up and pull down a bandana
I have a cord with jewelry style hooks on each end the I attach to the ear loops of my mask, so that it hangs around my neck and is easy to put on quickly. Actually easier than raising up a bandana and adjusting it on my face. I made mine, but there are widely available. Look for "mask lanyards."
71sbXF4LEmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I even find the FFP2 masks more comfortable than the normal surgical masks.
Me too. They are stiffer and therefore hold their shape which creates a pocket in front of the mouth. They also keep glasses from fogging up better. Also easier to put on without adjusting much.

Just seeing this, now. Thanks so much for the links and suggestions.

So how many disposable masks would you all pack for a 30 day trip? Generally, we toss the surgical masks after one day’s use, but I read in a news article that some are using the kn95s for a couple of days if they haven’t had heavy use. They aren’t readily available in my area (sadly an anti mask US state). I’ll need to order and not sure how many to order.

Just seeing this, now. Thanks so much for the links and suggestions.

So how many disposable masks would you all pack for a 30 day trip? Generally, we toss the surgical masks after one day’s use, but I read in a news article that some are using the kn95s for a couple of days if they haven’t had heavy use. They aren’t readily available in my area (sadly an anti mask US state). I’ll need to order and not sure how many to order.
In Spain you can get N95 and the blue one-day masks on every corner (Farmacias and some supermarkets).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For those like me who have been unsure about how much wear a N95 or KN95 mask can take, here is a helpful article. Thanks to @Molly Cassidy for helping me figure out the “gift option” for NYT articles. She tells me that this link works for those who are not subscribers. Succes!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Last fall the airline gave my husband a surgical mask to replace his cloth one when boarding. During his transfer in Germany one shop wanted him to buy a KN 95 so he went to McDonald's in the airport instead and they gave him a KN 95. He wore a cloth mask in the albergue where he served and pilgrims were required to mask indoors except when eating, drinking, and sleeping. He did have a buff, but did not use it as a mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.