A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Mason sign in cathedral?

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Donating Member
I am not an expert on this topic, but as many others I have read Da Vinci code and find these things interesting.

Today I visited the cathedral, sat down towards the front and looked up into the dome and saw something like this…

This is not the actual picture from the cathedral, but the drawing on the top of the dome was a lot like this triangle with the eye in the middle.

Is this not a mason sing as well? Am I way off base here?

Ivar

Advertisment

Tonm

It is a sign that you find in freemason hall, however the sign is also used in catholic churches in europe. It is not exclusively used by masons, as are most signs.

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Many, various, and continuing.
The whole "Masonic" business is an outgrowth of the Protestant Reformation, which endowed us with all kinds of critical thinking skills that kinda slid downhill into paranoia after a generation or two. Anything in a church that looked "weird" suddenly was labeled "Masonic" or "occult" or "papist" or "cabalist" or otherwise conspiracy-theoretical por los siglos de los siglos... This "eye in the sky" dates right back to Egypt, it is the symbol of God´s all-seeing presence. It is a popular image for church domes and the peaks of retablos, when an actual God the Father image won´t fit in the space, or was unfashionable. The Greeks used this, the Romans used it, the Visogoths did too. It shows up again, as in this example, in a neoclassical setting -- 16th or 17th century Enlightenment people harking back to Greece and Rome. It is, fundamentally, God watching Us. Over and over.
Unless you prefer the conspiracy theories, which will tell you all kinds of wild stuff that is "absolutely true."

Tonm

Thanks for the good explanation. I do not like the conspiracy theories. I am a mason myself, and i know what good masonry can bring. It is a pity that so many focus on the conspiracy stories instead of trying to understand masonry

Advertisment

Al the optimist

Veteran Member
Donating Member
As all cathedrals were built my stone masons would it really be any surprise to find a worker who was proud of his work to sign it in some way without there being any overtones?

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
We took photos of some of the many masons' marks in the cathedral, and also some on the walkway above the square (accessed through the museum). They would have been carved on the blocks to show whose work they were and are easy to see when the sun is just right.

Attachments

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Many, various, and continuing.
Tia, I think he had a different kind of Mason in mind!
Still, though, I love those mason´s marks, too. Reminders of all the long-gone workers and craftsmen who created these magnificent places.

Reb.

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
Yes, :oops: , but I couldn't resist them. :) They showed up so clearly in the sunlight last Ascencion Day that we walked round taking photos after the Pilgrims' Mass.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (March 2013); Via Jacobi (June/July 2015)
This actually symbolizes the holy trinity, and is used in many churches around Europe, representing God's eye watching over humankind.

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
M Miscellaneous about Santiago 10

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Latest posts

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 24 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 84 15.9%
  • May

Votes: 139 26.3%
  • June