• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Mass and food and sleep

Time of past OR future Camino
2012 CF
2014 CF
2022 CF
I am In Castrojeriz at Alberque Ultreia. It is a lovely and new Alberque. There is a nice pool for soaking the feet! Dinner is being prepared just now and it smells delicious.
Last evening, I stayed in Hornillos del Camino at the municipal Alberque, right next to the church. Also a lovely and quiet place. A truly blessed Camino experience was Mass at 6pm. At the end of Mass, the priest gave us a Camino prayer in our preferred language. We then prayed with others of our language group and listened as the prayer was read in Spanish, French, Portuguese, Korean, and German. Then, again in language groups, we sang a refrain from a song we all knew. Many of us cried! We had a group photo taken before we left the church.
I’ve heard this twice in the last week so sharing here in case this is a question others have. I heard some pilgrims discussing whether or not they could order only a salad, or only the entrée, or a bowl of soup instead of the full pilgrims menu or menu Del Dia. Yes absolutely, in a bar, cafe, or restaurant, you may opt for any or all of the above. Maybe not possible everywhere, but in my experience thus far, in cities and in the rural towns, it’s been possible.
Ultreia et suseia!23468AB8-CA9D-4609-8F58-2037EA8AED16.jpeg0CED34C9-8011-484B-8C49-7CFA602D127C.jpeg7A9E94D8-ADB5-4414-97A4-D7A72E872DC4.jpeg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am In Castrojeriz at Alberque Ultreia. It is a lovely and new Alberque. There is a nice pool for soaking the feet! Dinner is being prepared just now and it smells delicious.
Last evening, I stayed in Hornillos del Camino at the municipal Alberque, right next to the church. Also a lovely and quiet place. A truly blessed Camino experience was Mass at 6pm. At the end of Mass, the priest gave us a Camino prayer in our preferred language. We then prayed with others of our language group and listened as the prayer was read in Spanish, French, Portuguese, Korean, and German. Then, again in language groups, we sang a refrain from a song we all knew. Many of us cried! We had a group photo taken before we left the church.
I’ve heard this twice in the last week so sharing here in case this is a question others have. I heard some pilgrims discussing whether or not they could order only a salad, or only the entrée, or a bowl of soup instead of the full pilgrims menu or menu Del Dia. Yes absolutely, in a bar, cafe, or restaurant, you may opt for any or all of the above. Maybe not possible everywhere, but in my experience thus far, in cities and in the rural towns, it’s been possible.
Ultreia et suseia!View attachment 126813View attachment 126814View attachment 126815
CaminoKentucky,
Glad to read that your camino is going well. Be sure to sleep well tonight for tomorrow's walk out and up the Alto de Mostelares from Castrojeriz can be tiring. However once on top the views on a clear day are great .
Carpe diem and Buen camino!

CaminoKentucky,
Glad to read that your camino is going well. Be sure to sleep well tonight for tomorrow's walk out and up the Alto de Mostelares from Castrojeriz can be tiring. However once on top the views on a clear day are great .
Carpe diem and Buen camino!
Thank you @mspath! I am looking forward to those views!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Once, I was at the top of that climb and I realised I forgot my glasses back in Castrojerez. Thankfully, my son was with me. He went back and collected the glasses. Meanwhile, I enjoyed the views. A great memory in every way.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ultreia et suseia!View attachment 126813View attachment 126814View attachment 126815
Thank you so much for posting about the mass in Hornillos. I attended this evening and it was an amazing experience. I was the only English speaker. We had Portuguese, Brazilian, German, French, Italian, and Korean. It is an experience I will not forget.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Mass later on the Camino as well in small towns this summer. @Rebekah Scott posted that there will be services in Morotinos and other nearby small towns this summer. I think Wednesday nights in Morotinos and maybe Thursdays in San Nicholas? Perhaps she will reply here again and let you know for planning purposes.

The Mass and welcome in Hornillos was a highlight for me as well.

I also joined the Augustinian Sisters in Carrión de Los Condes for their singing and then Mass even though I wasn’t staying at their alberque. I just sort of found them and joined in.

I found a daily mass in each town that was the end of an etapa on the Camino Francés. However, when I stopped in smaller towns, there was no mass due to the lack of priests, many of whom cover several parishes spread over a large area. Ask in your albergue, or check the doors of any church you pass in the town; I often found notices of the locations of mass on each day.

Regarding pilgrim meals or any fixed-price meals, you can generally order just the first or just the second course, which can still include bread and sometimes a beverage but not dessert. You could say, "Quiero sólo el primer plato, por favor" (first course) or "Quiero sólo el segundo plato, por favor" (second course). If you want to know what is included with just one of the courses, you could ask something like, "¿Qué incluye?" ("What comes with it?")

If you want just soup or a salad, you could also ask for the "carta" or menu. Remember that in Spain, the "menĂş" is the fixed-priced meal and not the list of items that the restaurant serves. "ÂżHay carta?" ("Do you have a menu?") will get you all the soups and salads and everything else available.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think I once attended that mass.

By the way, can anyone explain, how do we start a new topic and make a new post?

And is there a table of contents of topics?

@CaminoJoy123
There is a button for a "new post" on the main forums page.

The only tables of contents are really under the various forum topics on that Forums page. There are some for travel, health, etc. And also forum headings by route.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back