• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mass at Santiago

coober

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2009,
VdlP 2014
Del Norte 50% 2017
Primitivo 2017
Hello,

when I attended mass at Santiago, Sunday 25th October there was a nun who sang solo. I'm not sure if it was in Spanish or Latin but I found it quite moving and I would like to ask if anybody has any information on what was sung and if there are any CDs of her or any of the songs available.

with thanks
David

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola - the nun who sings at the Pilgrims' Mass is Sister María Asunción:

I took this not longer after she was appointed about a year ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv-MGHFmlsg

I stand to be corrected but I'm almost certain that she has never been recorded apart from Pilgrims uploading to You Tube. Indeed when I searched this morning the recordings all featured the previous incumbent, Sister Maria Jesus, who now works in the Cathedral in Madrid.

Indeed when I searched this morning the recordings all featured the previous incumbent, Sister Maria Jesus, who now works in the Cathedral in Madrid.[/quote]

Hola JohnnieWalker,

can you tell me what recordings you are referring to. I assume that the format and words of the Mass would be fairly consistent, is it possible that Sister Maria Jesus's songs would have been the same as the nun I listened to, and if so do you know if there is a recording available.

thanks
David

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
thanks, JohnnieWalker it's appreciated.

David

Last Sunday it was a man singing at both Masses in the morning. The singing nun was still there but she didn't sing!
sue

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That´s right - they have reinforcements! Yesterday for example there were 5 Masses with the Botafumeiro at every one. There are two organists working in shifts and a bank of 4 or 5 singers.

Best wishes

John
Stranded in Santiago :)

Just back from a day of extra Masses in different Churches here to cover for clergy trapped in Spain (although not on the Camino). Not sure which smilie fits this!

Andy

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.