• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mass at start

northerngirl

Time of past OR future Camino
sept 2013 September 2014
We arrive in SJ on Saturday afternoon and would like to go to mass that evening before we start the next morning. Can anyone help with places and times please

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
make sure you also go to the mass in Roncevalles. I found that much more meaningful with only pilgrims in attendance and special blessings for us. Along with the dinner in Orisson, this mass really marked the beginning of our Camino, even though we had walked some already.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you it seems ( I don't speak French) there is no vigil mass on the Saturday evening.
We will be arriving in Roncevalles on Monday what time and where the mass be please

Mass is in the church (that's not a smart-ass answer, I'm just saying it that way because there are only a few other buildings in the village). I can't recall the time it starts but it was around 7-8pm. There were notices about it at the albergue. If you don't see any, I am sure the hospitalero could tell you.

It was always at 8 pm, the 3 times that I went. It's a beautiful way to start your Camino!
To be sure, you can check up at the Pilgrim Office or the Albergue. Anne

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
According to http://www.roncesvalles.es/ the pilgrim blessing is imparted at the end of last daily Mass. That is, Saturdays, Sundays and holidays 18:00 hs, working days, 20.00 hs. Reserve some time to present your respects or prays to the remarkable and ancient image of the Virgen.
Other special blessings are imparted at the beautiful San Miguel church, in Estella (I don't know the hour, ask the hospitalero at albergue parroquial), and Carbajalas monastery, in León (ask, again, the hospitalero).
As a note....in Estella the regular attendance was mostly a group of likeable and talkative old ladies, who stared at us with great curiosity. We were mostly foreigners, and very conspicuous, because the priest asked us to occupy the front benches. It was the first time that I felt myself "exotic"...:)

If you happen to be staying there, make a point of attending the masses at Viana and Granon as well.
Overall, we found that we were able to attend Mass at least three times a week along the CF. Some of the more notable Mass experiences were the Pilgrims' Mass at Iglesia de Santiago in Logroño and at San Isidoro in Leon, and the evening Mass in Triacastela. Also at Santa Maria la Real in O'Cebreiro.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you for your replies, it will enrich our Camino experience which begins for the second time on September 6th 2014. God bless you all and safe travelling on you journeys.

Off topic but let me add a funny story about the mass I attended in Uterga. I am not a Catholic, not even Christian and this was my first Camino. Uterga, a week before Easter, 1900, and the bells in the church started ringing serious ringing. "Oh dear", I said, "Something awful must have happened in order to sound such an alarm". I have paramedic training so I went over to see if I could help. Not a soul in sight! Only those bells, so I went into the church. The entire village, some 80 odd people, were packed in shoulder to shoulder. The priest was very happy and informed the good people there, "Here is a righteous pilgrim, one who has left his family and his home in order to be with us over Easter, make him welcome"! A space was found for me on the pew and this Jewish pilgrim found himself celebrating his first mass. It was quite moving as only village masses can be. Kept a sharp eye and did whatever all the rest were doing, well, sort of, good enough anyway to receive many handshakes and even hugs towards the end of the service. The priest came to me afterwards and asked my name and where I am from, the reply "A Jew from Jerusalem" flabbergasted the good man for a second then he replied "Shalom and welcome". A wonderful start for a first Camino!

Off topic but let me add a funny story about the mass I attended in Uterga. I am not a Catholic, not even Christian and this was my first Camino. Uterga, a week before Easter, 1900, !

Scruffy, to be still walking at your age, is amazing! 114 years old at least.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Sorry, the hour was 1900, with a bit of luck and since I shall continue to walk, I will make 114 in another some odd years!

northerngirl, if you're not in a big hurry to start walking on Sunday, and especially if you are planning to stop in Orisson that first night, there is a mass in the lovely 14th Century red schist church directly on the trail through the old center of SJPP (same cobblestone street the Pilgrim's Office is on). The mass usually starts at 8:30a on Sundays and will likely be in Basque (often there is also a mass in French at 11:00a). There is a sign on the door of the church listing the times of the mass. If the local men with the angelic voices are in attendance, their singing will make this an experience to be remembered, regardless of the language!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back