• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mass in Santiago

Dani7

Stop wishing, start doing.
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2023 from Bayonne.
Camino Podiensis & CF 2026
Hello everyone :)

Since the cathedral in Santiago de Compostella in under major renovations and mass is not celebrated there, I noticed that there are quite a few churches around the cathedral that do offer mass. My question to you is: What mass/church did you prefer and why?
I am in search of my faith on my upcoming Camino and would prefer not to get into a religious discussion with this post as I feel discussions regarding religion and politics often bring out strong emotions. Just wondering what mass/church made you feel whole, in the moment and spiritual. Thanks to all in advance to all who respond :).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Since the cathedral in Santiago de Compostella in under major renovations and mass is not celebrated there, I noticed that there are quite a few churches around the cathedral that do offer mass. My question to you is: What mass/church did you prefer and why?
I am in search of my faith on my upcoming Camino and would prefer not to get into a religious discussion with this post as I feel discussions regarding religion and politics often bring out strong emotions. Just wondering what mass/church made you feel whole, in the moment and spiritual. Thanks to all in advance to all who respond :).
We went to Mass at the Pilgrim's Office last month. It's done in English. There's a chapel on the left as soon as you walk inside the PO.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This might be a little tricky but, if possible, I recommend you seek out a Mass celebrated by Fr. Juan Carlos Angulo. He is (was?) based at the SdC Catedral but must be saying Mass elsewhere if he is still in Compostela. The man is truly inspirational. Buen Camino.

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_157a.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_157a.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 13

I went to the Mosteiro de San Paio de Antealtares. It is the home of cloistered Benedictine Sisters. They have a lovely museum and sell books and almond cookies. The Mass is beautiful and if you stay for compline in the evening you will be transported by their angelic voices. The Church is gorgeous. I actually preferred the atmosphere and quiet to the Cathedral which was overflowing with some very noisy visitors even during Mass. God is calling. We need quiet to listen. Blessings. Betta

While the Cathedral is offline, Mass has been moved as follows:

Daily Pilgrim Mass at noon - Basilica of Saint Francis (San Francisco), just behind the HUGE statue of the saint at the end of Calle San Francisco.

Most other daily Masses - Church of Santa Maria Salome (mother of Saint James), on Rua Nova, same side of the street as Pilgrim House, just a little further down... in the middle of the block.

I agree that Mass at the Jesuit-run Church of San Augustin is fabulous, especially if Fr. Balthazar is celebrating. Also, if you attend the NOON mass on Saturday or Sunday, the chances are that our own Johnnie Walker will be playing the organ, splendidly, I might add.

Finally, and this is a public secret, some years ago, the Archbishop issued an indult that specified that the noon Saturday Mass ONLY at San Augustin would meet the Catholic duty to attend Mass on Sunday. Whereas most Catholic churches offer a Sunday vigil Mass at 16:00 or later on the eve of Sunday, the indult allowed the Saturday noon Mass to meet that obligation.

The reason for this is the adjacent fresh market. Farmers come from towns surrounding and out from Santiago, where there are no functioning churches. Without this special consideration, these people would find it difficult or impossible to meet their weekly obligation to attend Sunday Mass.

So, if you are in Santiago on any Saturday, and a Catholic (or any denomination for that matter) DO come to the noon Mass. It is widely attended, by folks from the market, as well as a lot of local folks. I attend there whenever I can. Fr. Balthazar frequently officates. And Johnnie usually plays the organ if he is in town.

Hope this helps.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
While the Cathedral is offline, Mass has been moved as follows:

Daily Pilgrim Mass at noon - Basilica of Saint Francis (San Francisco), just behind the HUGE statue of the saint at the end of Calle San Francisco.

Most other daily Masses - Church of Santa Maria Salome (mother of Saint James), on Rua Nova, same side of the street as Pilgrim House, just a little further down... in the middle of the block.

I agree that Mass at the Jesuit-run Church of San Augustin is fabulous, especially if Fr. Balthazar is celebrating. Also, if you attend the NOON mass on Saturday or Sunday, the chances are that our own Johnnie Walker will be playing the organ, splendidly, I might add.

Finally, and this is a public secret, some years ago, the Archbishop issued an indult that specified that the noon Saturday Mass ONLY at San Augustin would meet the Catholic duty to attend Mass on Sunday. Whereas most Catholic churches offer a Sunday vigil Mass at 16:00 or later on the eve of Sunday, the indult allowed the Saturday noon Mass to meet that obligation.

The reason for this is the adjacent fresh market. Farmers come from towns surrounding and out from Santiago, where there are no functioning churches. Without this special consideration, these people would find it difficult or impossible to meet their weekly obligation to attend Sunday Mass.

So, if you are in Santiago on any Saturday, and a Catholic (or any denomination for that matter) DO come to the noon Mass. It is widely attended, by folks from the market, as well as a lot of local folks. I attend there whenever I can. Fr. Balthazar frequently officates. And Johnnie usually plays the organ if he is in town.

Hope this helps.
Oh t2andreo, thank you so much for this detailed information and taking the time to write it. So greatly appreciated. I will be arriving in Santiago on a Friday and leaving on a Sunday for my last leg of my journey from Santiago to Muxia and ending in Finistere. My spiritual journey on this Camino is very important to me. I talked to a colleague yesterday and a few friends about feeling disconnected with my faith and how it bothered me, the going back and forth between believing and not. I was surprised to hear they felt the same and totally understood. Again thank you 🙏 ❤️

I really appreciate everyone’s time with their responses on this post as this is not another item to check off my “to-do/must-dos” Camino list. It matters. ❤️

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Attended the Sunday pilgrim mass at San Francisco. If you prefer a more quite, contemplative service don't go there. One poor lady had her fingers stuck in her ears the whole time. I just put in my noise-cancelling ear buds. Just saying'...........

You have to be able to follow Spanish if you go to San Agustin, but the charisma of Baltasar speaks beyond language, and then the music, and if you are lucky, the cantor... the three form a symphony.
For those who have time, finding a place to be silent, and reflect, is possibly just what you need to gather together the moments, the hours, the days... of your camino. Hearts have no tattoos, no certificates of denomination. If you want, you will find the place in Santiago where you can transform your Camino into the future that is the rest of your camino. I end where I began: San Agustin gets my vote!

Attended the Sunday pilgrim mass at San Francisco. If you prefer a more quite, contemplative service don't go there. One poor lady had her fingers stuck in her ears the whole time. I just put in my noise-cancelling ear buds. Just saying'...........
Thanks. I do prefer more contemplative

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You have to be able to follow Spanish if you go to San Agustin, but the charisma of Baltasar speaks beyond language, and then the music, and if you are lucky, the cantor... the three form a symphony.
For those who have time, finding a place to be silent, and reflect, is possibly just what you need to gather together the moments, the hours, the days... of your camino. Hearts have no tattoos, no certificates of denomination. If you want, you will find the place in Santiago where you can transform your Camino into the future that is the rest of your camino. I end where I began: San Agustin gets my vote!
I am learning Spanish but have to up
My game. Not allocating enough time at the moment. Need to adjust that.

My friends & me were able to attend this English mass at the chapel of the pilgrim office. The mass was celebrated by a Filipino priest who had done several caminos. It was a highly emotional & moving experience for us. There was even a meetup with other pilgrims after the mass in one of the rooms in the pilgrim office.

Attachments

• SdC mass.jpg
    SdC mass.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 6
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back