• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mass on Camino Frances

Jeff Zimmerman

Cincigator
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances-April 2016
I'll be walking the CF in April/May. For me this is not just a 500 mile trek across Northern Spain, but it's also a religious pilgrimage. As a Catholic, I'd like to attend Mass frequently, if not daily. Can anyone advise on how convenient it is to attend Mass in the cities, towns and villages along the CF? Do the churches accommodate pilgrim's schedules, i.e., do they have Mass in the late afternoon/evening after pilgrims are situated in their accommodations? Other than the Pilgrim Mass in SDC, are there other Mass traditions that are not to be missed? Any insight would be helpful.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The answer is yes. If in doubt when in Spain ask the hospitalero/a at your albergue, hours and church will usually be posted on the notice board don't need to make great lists. Worse comes to worse you can also ask at the tourist ingformation offices or the library. No Spanish? Ask in the pharmacy, the pharmacists usually speak better English than anyone else and if they don'y know why one of their customers probably will.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For me, the not to be missed Pilgrim's Blessing at Roncesvalles, as the start of my Camino.
Masses are usually either at 19.00 or 20.00. Occasionally you might fall on a morning Mass. Check with the hospitaleros. ( sometimes they don't know, but one would hope they DID know)! You will, in any case, find many opportunities along the Way!

I have attended Mass in many places on the Camino Frances. Some very special experiences such as Carrion de los Condes where each pilgrim was called forward for an individual blessing, O Cebreiro where I was invited to do a reading, and Rabe de las Calzadas where there was also a special invitation for pilgrims.

On all occasions I simply relied on information when I arrived at the Albergues I stayed in.

I have attended Mass in many places on the Camino Frances. Some very special experiences such as Carrion de los Condes where each pilgrim was called forward for an individual blessing, O Cebreiro where I was invited to do a reading, and Rabe de las Calzadas where there was also a special invitation for pilgrims.

On all occasions I simply relied on information when I arrived at the Albergues I stayed in.

I second Carrion de los Condes - very special
Also Zabidilka (sp?) before Pamplona was simply wonderful

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I second Carrion de los Condes - very special
Also Zabidilka (sp?) before Pamplona was simply wonderful
Hi Rich1,

I remember the lovely Church in Zabaldika which I visited in 2014. There was a local lady there who invited me to go up the medieval tower and ring one of the bells, which she told me was around 800 years old and believed to be the oldest bell in Navarra. Standing right next to the bell, I gently pulled the rope and the sound of the bell echoed down the valley. A truly amazing sound and something I will never forget. :)

Hi Rich1,

I remember the lovely Church in Zabaldika which I visited in 2014. There was a local lady there who invited me to go up the medieval tower and ring one of the bells, which she told me was around 800 years old and believed to be the oldest bell in Navarra. Standing right next to the bell, I gently pulled the rope and the sound of the bell echoed down the valley. A truly amazing sound and something I will never forget. :)

Hi Mike,
Yes, ringing the bell, the service during which I read the lesson in English, communal dinner with the priest and sisters, and evening prayers - one of the most spiritual and meaningful evenings of my life

Incidentally, having run the Camino for my 50th in 2015, my wife and I are starting our walk in May this year. 2 weeks to Burgos in 2016, 2 more weeks next year, then Santiago in 2018 for Jenny's 50th. Booked flights today. So excited - not a day goes by that I don't think about the Camino. Such a wonderful experience - I will always struggle to comprehend it

You might not want to miss vespers in the small Benedictine chapel in Rabanal, just by the Albergue Guacelmo. Sadly, their website (http://www.sanisidorodeleon.com/) seems to be down but the Basilica of San Isidro in Leon is one of the few places in Spain where the ancient Mozarabic use of the mass is celebrated (in Castilian, not Latin) so if you have a real interest in liturgy, you might not want to miss it. Little churches off the beaten path in towns will often provide you with great experiences; going to the church of San Miguel in Estella got me invited to a fiesta dinner, and attending a very early morning mass at the church of Maria Salome in Santiago was memorable for seeing the life of the city as it wakened. Note, as well, that there are English-language masses in one of the chapels in the Cathedral in Santiago-- I am not certain of the beginning and closing dates, but the pilgrims' office will have the information. Hospitaleros might not always know the hours in stops along the way, and often villagers and townspeople will not have any idea-- remember that Spain has many people who pay no attention to religious activity-- but the pharmacist or the barkeeper will know--- they know everything.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I really liked the Pilgrim Mass in Granon...the cathedral in Granon is as basic as it gets...also recommend the Pilgrim Masses in Roncesvalles...and the large chapel and small night chapel Pilgrim Masses in Santiago...I saw the Botafumeiro four times but I still liked the small chapel Pilgrim Mass (in English) better.

Yes, agree with oursonpolaire's comment re Mass at Rabanal del Camino - a lovely service in a wonderful setting. Buen Camino.
View media item 4048
oursonpolaires' comment was about the vespers service at Rabanal del Camino at 7 PM in the evening, which is indeed a lovely service in a special setting. Also in the evening but later at 9,30 is a compline [prayer at the end of the day] service which ends with a pilgrim blessing. The mass at Rabanal is at the somewhat unfriendly time for pilgrims of 9.30 AM , a time at which most pilgrims are well on the way to the iron cross.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I stayed in Rabanal del Camino last year at the Albergue Gaucelmo opposite the Church and next to the Monastery. It was Sunday 7th June, the day of the Corpus Christi procession round the village followed by a beautiful service in the Church.

Also at 4pm in the Albergue garden, we took tea with the monks too.

Such a great day. :)

oursonpolaires' comment was about the vespers service at Rabanal del Camino at 7 PM in the evening, which is indeed a lovely service in a special setting. Also in the evening but later at 9,30 is a compline [prayer at the end of the day] service which ends with a pilgrim blessing. The mass at Rabanal is at the somewhat unfriendly time for pilgrims of 9.30 AM , a time at which most pilgrims are well on the way to the iron cross.

My apologies, it must have been one of the evening services that I attended in Rabanal. Perhaps I am confusing it (poor diary notes :() with the Vigil Mass in Villafranca or the Pilgrim Mass in Triacastela, also well worth attending.

Last Sunday of the month, in the church of San Bartolome at noon, mass is all gregorian chants.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As a "Cradle Catholic" who tries to remain observant, I noticed on my three Caminos that Spain suffers the same lack of priests as North America. Accordingly, not every church you encounter in every village is operational. Or even if it is operational, it may be on a rotational circuit, with a Sunday Mass offered there on every "n"th Sunday. So, do not count on being able to find a Catholic Mass in every village you come to, every day.

Also, on a Sunday, you may end up in a place without a working church, or without a Mass scheduled that day. Relax. As one of the priests at Sanitago explained to me after my first Camino, just being on Camino exempts you from regular weekly Mass attendance if it is not possible do to geography.

The "BOSS" understands your motivation and intent (I demure from inserting another name here to avoid annoying the agnostic and atheist pilgrims in our merry forum, I DO respect your opinion.).

The entirety of your pilgrimage effort is considered a prayer, per se. You can confess missing the several Sunday masses you may miss along a typical month's long pilgrimage. But, trust me, it will not increase your penance for having sinned. If you just walked 783 Km from St Jean Pied de Port on the Camino Frances, you have already done your penance. In fact, that is what I am told by my confessors more often than not at the Cathedral at Santiago. NO matter how debauched I was getting there, simply walking all the way does wonders...It's all good. Go figure!

On the other hand, as you approach a large metropolitan area, Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon, Astorga, Ponferrada, Sarria, and Santiago, there are more options to manage the pace of your progression so you can end up in one of these larger towns or cities on a Saturday evening or Sunday. Also, you are more likely to be able to locate a Mass using the internet. This allows ample time to locate a vigil mass the Saturday evening before, or delaying your departure on a Sunday until after a Mass. Do not worry about how you look, smell, or how you are dressed. Pilgrims have been passing this way for more than 1,200 years, Trust me, they have seen it all.

Taking a taxi or bus to jump ahead several kilometers is even permitted. Think about it. A thousand years ago, if some local guy pulled up in his horse-drawn wagon and offered you a lift to Mass in the next town you would go, right? Also, you would not have felt compelled to walk backward to retrace the kilometers you skipped over so you could attend Mass.

I have a few ironclad rules I follow scrupulously when on Camino. One of them is NEVER cover the same ground twice. Do not walk backward, then walk again to return. So, if you walked 10 Km before you realized your passport, iPhone, whatever, is at the place you stayed last night, get to a cafe, call a cab and go fetch it. Return by cab to the same spot.

Got the idea? Always make forward progress, never retreat... Better yet, ask the cafe guy or woman to call for you and ask them to place the "lost" item in a taxi and "send it to you." This happens all the time. The locals are innately honest. Frequently, they will do it automatically, without being asked, or expecting repayment for the service.

I have even attended Mass with my rucksack strapped on as I was walking past a Church. It happened when I arrived in the center of the town of Merida at 11:00 on a Sunday in 2014, just as the bell rang to signal the start of Mass. The church was full to overflowing I mean spilling out to the sidewalk), and I could not get all the way in to receive communion, but it all counted to the good. I clearly attended Mass. Several people tried to help me get in more, but the place was so crowded it did not help. So, I gave them the universal gesture for "it does not matter" - I shrugged my shoulders. They smiled, I smiled, All was good.

Many of the postings above are anecdotal and represent pilgrims' favorite experiences pursuing a Catholic Mass along the Camino (usually the Frances). These observations are all valid and should be placed into geographical order, according the whatever map or guide you are using, so you at least have some specific ideas for the places you come to along the way. My observations are intended to impart tools and techniques you can use all along the way to manage your Mass attendance, as desired.

Beyond this, asking at the albergue, local tienda, hostal, or cafe is a good way to obtain the local "skinny" regarding when the next Mass might be offered. As a general statement, many towns along the Camino try to have a pilgrim Mass each night at 8 PM. These are usually very profound and special for pilgrims. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE CATHOLIC or even Christian TO ATTEND. Invite everyone you encounter. You will be surprised at some of the outcomes. The older the church, the more profound the outcomes...

As another helpful clue, typically, there will be a group of older local women reciting the Rosary, in Spanish (duh!), starting about 20-30 minutes before the scheduled Mass time. For those of you not familiar with this long-held Catholic traditional prayer to honor Mary, the mother of Jesus, use Google or Wikipedia. it takes about 20 minutes "mas o menas" from start to finish. So if you pop in about 7;30, or see well dressed older women heading into the church shortly after 7:30. that is usually a good sign that there will be a Mass at 8:00. Check the doors for posted notices. Better yet, if you brought your set of beads, join in. The ladies will be please as punch to have you pray along with them, even if in English.

If some of your pilgrim colleagues resist tagging along, simply tell them to consider the 1,000 year plus history, architecture, and the stories emanating from those walls. If that does not work, offer to spot the first round of vino tinto after the Mass!

To inquire about a Mass in town, ask:

(EN) Is there a Mass today? At what time? Where?
(ES) ¿Hay una misa hoy? ¿A qué hora? ¿Donde?

Whew! I hope this helps.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I know this is old topic, but with lot of useful information, so i hope you will have answer on my question also :)
I will be in SJPDP on Thursday- Corpus Christi.
Can you please tell me is there a mass (hopefully with procession) in SJPDP that morning?
In case i decide to start my Camino that morning and go to Roncasvalle, as i understand mass overthere is at 6pm (since it is feast day) not 8pm?
Does anyone know exact times of mass on that day? That information would help me to decide when to start.

Thank you all!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back