• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mass on Coastal Camino Portugal 🇵🇹

Margaret68

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,
I leave 4th of July, American Independence Day!- With God’s help-
I know God never ceases to bring His people to Him and I’ll get to celebrate Mass as I need to.
I’m wondering if you have attended Mass on the Coastal Camino, where, when? Daily Masses are fantastic, yes?
Of course in Santiago and I read there are now 3 Masses in big church and a Mass in little church next to pilgrims office.
Tell me about your memorable celebrations?😊😇🙏

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Margaret,

First of all: it's almost 4th of July. I wish you all the best on your journey and may you receive what you need (which sometimes might be different than what you're wishing for).

So, a buen Camino to you.

My most memorable mass was on the Camino Frances. But not in a church, but in Galicia, about 5-6 days before arriving in Santiago. It was on a Sunday and I was busy minding my own business: following yellow arrows.

I had just left a small Galician town and was walking in the rolling hills when beside the road, in a field, people were gathering. It was a mixture of local people as well as pilgrims. And there was a priest. Turned out there was an open air mass, open to anyone that would pass by and wanted to participate.

So I did. For me it was such a special moment, also because it happened to me quite unexpectedly, that it even means more to me than the masses I attended in churches or cathedrals (including the big mass in Santiago with the botafumeiro).

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi,
I know God never ceases to bring His people to Him and I’ll get to celebrate Mass as I need to.
I’m wondering if you have attended Mass on the Coastal Camino, where, when? Daily Masses are fantastic, yes?
Of course in Santiago and I read there are now 3 Masses in big church and a Mass in little church next to pilgrims office.
Hi Margaret,

We walked from Lisbon in 2016. CP is kinda unique when it comes to religious pilgrims. Almost every town you stop has a daily mass but of course, this was pre-pandemic. We almost was able to go to mass everyday. You can prolly check and research where you plan to stop, for the mass times or you can check masstimes.org. I find the Portugese people a very spiritual and religious people. Anyway, I pray that you enjoy CP as much as we did and btw, if you veer off to the spiritual route, you might get a chance to sleep in a monastery (I heard).

Just a bit of tidbit - St. Lucia of Fatima stayed in Tui and Pontevedra for 25 years.

May the 4th be with you and may the spirit of St James be with you.

Ultreia and God Bless..

Dale

I had a friend who walked the coastal route a few years ago, and she said that she had trouble even finding churches. I think that is because she accidentally ended up on the Litoral route right on the coast rather than the true coastal route. Even so, I decided to walk the central route because of it. I'm starting walking from Porto on the 6th! Maybe we will see each other in Porto before we start walking!

Bom Caminho!

Ruth

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Right on Ruth!
I’ll be right behind you. I’m in Fatima the night of the 5th, Porto the night of the 6th and I plan to start early out of Porto on the 7th. I get lost in my backyard and I’m not much of a planner so it will be quite the adventure.🙃
This is my first Camino and I’m giving myself time to get to Santiago by the 25th. My daughter will meet me there-God willing- it will be one of many miracles I’ve been blessed to experience.🙏😇🙏❤️
Bom Caminho

Dear Margaret!
I wish you God's help during the adventure.

Im starting on the 29th of June, fom Rota Vicentina or Lisbon, still not decided.
What can you recommand? How i the covid situation right now? Is it hard to find any accomodation?
For any advices, help, I would be so grateful!

Good luck, God bless you!
Right on Ruth!
I’ll be right behind you. I’m in Fatima the night of the 5th, Porto the night of the 6th and I plan to start early out of Porto on the 7th. I get lost in my backyard and I’m not much of a planner so it will be quite the adventure.🙃
This is my first Camino and I’m giving myself time to get to Santiago by the 25th. My daughter will meet me there-God willing- it will be one of many miracles I’ve been blessed to experience.🙏😇🙏❤️
Bom Caminho

Last edited:
Right on Ruth!
Bom Caminho
I'm volunteering at the pilgrim's office after I'm done with my Camino starting on July 20th, although I should be walking into Santiago on the 18th. If we don't end up seeing each other on the trail, please take the time to look me up once you are in Santiago!

Bom Caminho!

I get lost in my backyard and I’m not much of a planner so it will be quite the adventure.🙃
On my first Camino starting on Burgos, I got lost because I missed an arrow. It allowed me to take my all-time favorite picture from that Camino, but added about 5k to my day....and it happened again on my second day, too! It might have happened on my 3rd day, but I had a very nice local tell me that I was going the wrong way. 🤣🥰 After that, I got used to looking for the arrows, and got better about finding them.

Depending on the route, some are better marked than others. If you can, it might be a good idea to download either one of the many camino apps that give you directions, or some of the GPS way markers that you can add to google maps.

Actually, walking the Camino is great for those who don't like to plan. Basically, you can walk until you are tired and then look for a place to stay wherever that is, most of the time. This year is a bit different, since some of the accommodation options are closed, but I found a really good app called camino ninja that gives all of the accommodations in a place and their information to contact them. It actually has most of the albergues/hostals as closed for the season, but when you call/email them, they are actually open. I did what you are doing for my first Camino. Since then, I've had to change because of a chronic foot injury and have to have my pack carried if I want to walk, but I envy those of you who can just strap on your pack and walk until you are tired.

There is a good chance you will either catch me or pass me because I'm doing shorter stages.

Bom Caminho!

Dear Margaret!
I wish you God's help during the adventure.

Im starting on the 29th of June, fom Rota Vicentina or Lisbon, still not decided.
What can you recommand? How i the covid situation right now? Is it hard to find any accomodation?
For any advices, help, I would be so grateful!

Good luck, God bless you!
Lilla,

I'm flying into Lisbon on July 1st, and won't actually start walking until July 6--July 2 in Fatima, July 3 in Tomar, and then a couple of days in Porto before walking. Maybe we will see each other on the way!

Bom Caminho!

As the cathedral was in renovation in 2019 and the number of attendees was limited I attended the german service in San Fiz de Solovio, right next to the market-halls.
It was very emotional and packed with german speaking pilgrims.

BC
Roland

@Roland49 Danke 😊
@ktchnofdngr Thank you, I’ve downloaded many apps with maps, have two guide books( one I’ll carry) and pray the rosary as I walk to improve my Holy Spirit gps. YES, whenever I get “lost” what I find is a wonderful surprise.

I’ve hoped to walk a Camino (I thought there was only one to Santiago CF) for most of my adult life. I never seriously entertained it for many doubts and insecurities about my abilities.
I’m so grateful to have been called-convicted to do this.
I’ll see you in Santiago, I’m already filled with tears of joy- I suppose you see a lot of that 😊

My best advice is pray-an army of angels guides your way. This forum has great information and there are bunches of blogs and YouTube videos that are informative. Duolingo is fun and a smile from my heart speaks when words fail me.
Bom Caminho!

Last edited by a moderator:
My best advice is pray-an army of angels guides your way. This forum has great information and there are bunches of blogs and YouTube videos that are informative. Duolingo is fun and a smile from my heart speaks when words fail me.
Bom Caminho!
I will walk the CP-coastal in late fall this year. The comradery and the spirit of the Caminos are very addictive. Never felt as welcomed and free before my CF in July 2019.

I am, in fact, christian born and raised, baptized on own will, but not as active as many others.
Like you, I had a long time to wait until I realized that this way called me.

BC
Roland

Hi,
I did not attend mass on my Camino da Costa until I got to Santiago. However on my Camino Frances I attended three memorable masses. In Santo Domingo de Calzada I stayed at the Albergue Abadia Cisterciense where the nuns held a multilingual service in the late afternoon based on the languages of those present. Then in the evening they took you to the cathedral for a special mass with pilgrims, locals and children. In Burgos I stayed in Divina Pastora Albergue above the chapel and attended a beautiful mass in the tiny chapel. Then in La Faba on the way up to O Cebrerio I stayed in Albergue Par run by The German Confraternity where I attended a mass taken by the craziest priest I have ever encountered. You pay your money and you take your chance :)))
Buen Camino
Vince

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,
On the Portuguese Central route in Barcelos a special mass for pilgrims takes place. The Barcelos Mass is after 19:00 and I think daily. I was made to feel very welcome and the pilgrims were called for a blessing by the local priest and we were invited for a meeting with the Priest and the the Brother (Monk) who gave us shells decorated by the parish children.

On the Portuguese Central route in Barcelos a special mass for pilgrims takes place. The Barcelos Mass is after 19:00 and I think daily. I was made to feel very welcome and the pilgrims were called for a blessing by the local priest and we were invited for a meeting with the Priest and the the Brother (Monk) who gave us shells decorated by the parish children.
Now I'm sad that I won't be stopping there. I just knew that I couldn't stick with the normal stages, since I can't really handle more than about 25 km in a day, although, as much as possible, I stayed at 20 km/day. *sigh* Getting older is not for sissies!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Walked the Lisboa to Santiago central route in 2018. Finding Masses was a bit tough in the early stages out of Lisboa, but once I was north of Coimbra it became easier to find an evening mass. Most towns of any size have a parish church and an evening Mass. I detoured through Fatima, and they have multiple Mass times throughout the day. Most memorable Mass was in Pontevedra, up the hill from the albergue, across the street from one of the hotels. Seems it was a festival occasion (mid-September) and I was the only pilgrim there and people went out of their way to wish me Bom Camino! It was probably the wash 'n wear shorts and sandals that tipped them off. On a week night and everyone else was dressed up. It was great fun to visit with a few of the parishioners who ventured some English and I was butchering their Portuguese (which they graciously corrected).
Bom Caminho!

Hi,
When I walked the Camino Ingles in September 2020, I attended Mass in the church next to the pilgrims office, with Fr Manny Domingo. We were the only 2 people there! It was wonderful to celebrate Mass in English and quite special.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back