• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mass on the Meseta on the Camino Francés

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
The hand painted sign leaning against wall simply said: ”Iglesia Abierta/ChurchOpen”. What is unusual about it is that it is right on the camino in the little village of Moratinos half way along the Camino Francés and in this country of closed churches the church was indeed open. More than that at 8.30am there was actually a priest in the church cheerfully welcoming pilgrims, dispensing a sello, chatting and when requested offering confession.

This is Fr Pat from New Zealand. He is on sabbatical and had volunteered through the Camino Chaplaincy to assist pilgrims at the end of his first Camino from Seville on the Via de la Plata. Fr Pat also says a Pilgrims’ Mass every evening at 5.30 pm in neighbouring Terradillos de los Templarios. I joined 35 other pilgrims there a couple of evenings ago. There were pilgrims from Japan and France, Hungary and Scotland, Spain and Portugal, the Czech Republic and Canada, New Zealand and the United States. And maybe more I’ve forgotten. Just as pilgrims communicate on the Camino we communicated at Mass. Some in English, some in Spanish, a Belgian girl who spoke English translated for the French. The bible readings were in English and Spanish. Every one shared their name and nationality and something about their Camino experience. There were believers and searchers. Everyone felt welcome and I’m convinced everyone took something away at the end.

Some things have got to be said about this. First it is a team effort. You can’t have Mass without a priest volunteering, the priest can’t say Mass without the local community agreeing to their church being used, the church can’t be used without someone opening it, putting up posters about the Mass, ringing the bell and welcoming the pilgrims.
In Moratinos and Terradillos de los Templarios this service only exists through the work of Rebekah Scott and Paddy O’Gara of the Peaceable Kingdom in Moratinos. They host the priest, open the church and make it happen. But they do a huge amount more for pilgrims. Rebekah has a heart full of love for pilgrims, for humanity, and she dispenses that love unconditionally in a way I never could. She’s a strong woman, a leader, a fixer, a visionary. She also has the most loveable vulnerability and sensitivity. Grace, we know seeks out the sensitive because those hard of heart can be impervious. Her husband, collaborator and at times, accomplice, is a man of deep thinking who turns his corrosive wit to most subjects making conversation easy and arresting. I love his company. Paddy’s hobby is challenging bigots, ideologues and everyone else who thinks they “have all of the answers”. He challenges with a lot of logic and a huge amount of wit. Tell Paddy he is a good person and he will grumble and list all of his faults and failings. And yet all he does is exude decency. They both do. They are my friends. We’ve argued and disagreed and fought with each other. Mostly we agree. Love and mutual respect are the determining factors.

They are also servants of the Camino. When I visit I’ve taken to staying in the local hotel because I can never tell what might happen next at their house. One pilgrim might come to stay or like the other day 10 might cram in sleeping in every nook and cranny. That is their level of decency and selflessness. The other evening and for some weeks over the summer pilgrims will enjoy their own Pilgrims Mass on the Mesta because of Rebekah and Paddy. All we can do is say Thank You.
Terredillos Mass.JPG

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Amen, to the provision of Mass on the meseta, the English mass at the Cathedral and the support services provided by the volunteers there and by the Camino Companion sisters in the new Pilgrim Office complex.
And Amen to your tribute to Rebekah and Paddy!
Bail o Dhia ar an obair, a todos!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
John, just from their posts, I knew there had to be something very special about these two and I hope to have the good fortune to meet them next year. Their devotion and love for the Camino and to pilgrims shines through even their edgy and hilarious posts. Humour & heart....a powerful combination. Thanks for this wonderful post.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The other evening and for some weeks over the summer pilgrims will enjoy their own Pilgrims Mass on the Mesta because of Rebekah and Paddy. All we can do is say Thank You.
Indeed. In caps, italics and bold: THANK YOU. And for more than just what you do, both you two--who you are. I left Peaceable feeling completely enriched and inspired.
JohnnieWalker, thank you for you post (Amen to all of it!) and for posting that photo--I've got a huge smile of empathetic joy, seeing it. Wonderful. So many pilgrims' hearts are being fed, and in a part of the Camino that can be such a rich mine of inner exploration.

Wonderful I am so happy to get to this! Thank you!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back