• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mass Times

Ingridp3

Does anyone know the Sunday/Saturday Vigil Mass times in SJPP at the Cathedral? I wrote the tourism office and the only time they gave me was 10:30 AM on Sunday. That is late, since we will begin our walk on Sunday so I would rather go at dawn. I do not consider walking laborious, unnecessary work. Ha

Ingrid

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hola Ingrid,
You can find mass times on the http://www.archicompostela.org website.
Click on the colourful shell.
Then click on the English link
You will see a box that says: Services for Pilgrims
Click on St James link and then on Santiago Cathedral
There seems to be only one 10:30 mass so perhaps that is the only Vigil mass.

PS: On the same site you can get the times that the Botafumeiro will be used at mass:
(Sometimes tour groups pay for it to be used at other times).

Lord's Epiphany on January 6
Easter Sunday of Easter
Ascension of the Lord 40 days after Easter
Feast of the emergence of the Apostle on May 23
Pentecost 50 days after Easter
Martyrdom of the Apostle Santiago on July 25
Assumption of the Virgin Mary on August 15
All Saints' Day on November 1
Christ the King 5th Sunday before Christmas
Immaculate Conception on December 8
Nativity of Our Lord on December 25
Translating the remains of the Apostle December 30

Thanks for the info, however I need the Mass times in St. Jean Pied du Port. It seems to me that there would be an earlier Mass than 10:30 A.M. If not, we will get a late start.

Ingrid

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oops - my mistake. I don't think there is a cathedral in St Jean Pied de Port.
Don't be too sad if you miss the morning service - there is a lovely pilgrims' mass at Roncesvalles in the evening.

sillydoll said:
I don't think there is a cathedral in St Jean Pied de Port.
Don't be too sad if you miss the morning service - there is a lovely pilgrims' mass at Roncesvalles in the evening.
Quite right: it's certainly not a cathedral! It is a small town parish church, and a very welcoming church too! Anyone who has been to Mass in SJPP before setting off across the Pyrenees will value the experience and never forget it. The singing in this church - right next to the old town gate across the river in SJPP - is in the Basque language and sounds very similar in a way to Sunday services in a protestant Welsh chapel, for those who know what that sounds like!

Climbing up into the Pyrenees after Sunday Mass in SJPP is therefore like climbing into the Welsh hills after Sunday worship - a similar landscape and the deep choral tradition still ringing in your ears, matching the landscape perfectly. Don't miss it: if you get there too early, spend six days in SJPP writing postcards and wait for Sunday Mass before setting off! :D

Gareth

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Y'all are very helpful. My terminology is limited and I leave the history to my husband. A small church or a cathedral; I just need Mass. St. Jean belongs to what diocese?

Gareth Thomas said:
Climbing up into the Pyrenees after Sunday Mass in SJPP is therefore like climbing into the Welsh hills after Sunday worship - a similar landscape and the deep choral tradition still ringing in your ears, matching the landscape perfectly. Don't miss it

Marty Haugen and his Mass of Creation will be far away. Smile

Ingrid

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I seemd to have dicovered the same thing yesterday in my web adventures. However, I still do not speak French. Thank you all for your help.

Ingrid

Getting an early start from SJPP is essential if you're to do the walk in one day. Most people leave around 7 to 7.30am and guide books recommend leaving no later than 10am.

If the SJPP tourist office says Mass is at 10.30am then I suspect they are correct. You would be better off attending the Pilgrim's Mass in Roncesvalles which, I believe, is at 6pm on weekends (8pm weekdays). That's one Mass not to be missed, and to get to Roncesvalles in time to find a bed, get your passport stamped, and then attend Mass at 6pm without being totally exhausted, you will need to start walking early.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back