Mass?

2018 edition Camino Guides
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2018)
Is there Mass available on the route from SJPP to Santiago? I would love to go a couple times a week, but if there is not a Catholic Church available that often, then I just need to find one for Sundays.

Advertisment

oursonpolaire

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2002, Toulouse/Aragon 2005, Cami S Jaume/Aragon 2007/9, Mont Saint Michel/Norte/Vadiniense 2011, Norte/Primitivo 2013, Norte/Primitivo 2014. Norte 2015, Cami S Jaume/Castellano-Aragonese 2016
Most village churches along the Camino Frances now offer a mass in the evening, usually around 7.oo pm. Your hospitalero or innkeeper will likely have the exact time but, if not, older women in the pueblo will know. The presence of pilgrims is generally warmly welcomed by villagers and almost as often by the priests.

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
Veronica,

Many of the towns have churches and Mass is often available if not daily, then nearly so.
If you are starting in SJPP try and attend pilgrim's Mass in Roncesvalles. It is quite moving.

Buen camino.

Bala

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (Oct 2015, SJPdP-Burgos)
Camino Frances (Burgos-Santiago 2018)
I was able to attend mass each of the 14 nights I walked (SJPP-Burgos) and was invited up for a pilgrim blessing after each of them. Each unique. Each very special. Worth making a special effort to find!

Advertisment

Is there Mass available on the route from SJPP to Santiago? I would love to go a couple times a week, but if there is not a Catholic Church available that often, then I just need to find one for Sundays.
Most towns / villages do have at least one church, most of which are hundreds of years old. When you stop walking for the day, you may inquire at the albergue when and where Mass is being held. If desired, it can become pretty much a daily event.

mcopeland

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances - April-June, 2016
Portuguese Lisbon-Santiago - October, 2017
We did miss Mass 2 times on the Frances when we could not find one on Saturday or Sunday and missed even more than that on the Portuguese. In one town we were informed on a Saturday that their weekly Mass was on Monday. When we got to the next town on Sunday we found out that their one Mass a week was on Friday. Unfortunately there are many more parishes than priests, and so they have to visit them to say Mass on different days. That said, we took the opportunity to attend Mass every chance we had during the week.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Camino Frances 92
grayland Camino Frances 13
M Camino Frances 7
Anniesantiago Camino Frances 19
I Camino Frances 12