• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Massage therapist/reflexologist/hostel work

Fiona Camino

Time of past OR future Camino
none
Good day
Not sure if anyone can help, but who do I approach to find out about getting paid work for a few summer months along the way? I am not expecting a fortune - just enough to keep body and soul together. I am a hard worker and qualified in massage and reflexology - skills that I think will be in high demand along the way?! TIA

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good day
Not sure if anyone can help, but who do I approach to find out about getting paid work for a few summer months along the way? I am not expecting a fortune - just enough to keep body and soul together. I am a hard worker and qualified in massage and reflexology - skills that I think will be in high demand along the way?! TIA

I wanted to share this, not as a criticism, but as a personal outlook of what I do. I do wish you well with your pursuit of your inquiry, though :)

When I travel on Camino, I make it a point to engage local professionals or workers if I need a service. The economy in Spain is challenging and the unemployment rate is high, and I want to make sure that I am focusing any expenditures back into that economy.

When I have engaged an appointment for a massage session (maybe 4 times in 3 Caminos), I inquire about if the person is a local or from nearby. If told (which I haven't been) that the person was not a resident, I would pass on it and try to make a different arrangement.

Again, I am not being critical by any means; nor do I know if others on the Forum would think to do the same. I sincerely hope that this works out for you. Who knows, there may be a need that you can fill for an agency or practice which cannot find local talent :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wanted to share this, not as a criticism, but as a personal outlook of what I do. I do wish you well with your pursuit of your inquiry, though :)

When I travel on Camino, I make it a point to engage local professionals or workers if I need a service. The economy in Spain is challenging and the unemployment rate is high, and I want to make sure that I am focusing any expenditures back into that economy.

When I have engaged an appointment for a massage session (maybe 4 times in 3 Caminos), I inquire about if the person is a local or from nearby. If told (which I haven't been) that the person was not a resident, I would pass on it and try to make a different arrangement.

Again, I am not being critical by any means; nor do I know if others on the Forum would think to do the same. I sincerely hope that this works out for you. Who knows, there may be a need that you can fill for an agency or practice which cannot find local talent :)
Certainly something I did not even think about. However, I can only assume that there may be a chance of some paid work out there. Thanks for your mindful response.

Also, apart of finding work consider: Are your professional credentials acknowledged/recognized in Spain and What about professional insurance?
Wishing you all the best, SY

I had 30 mins leg massage in Pamplona and it was really really great. Do you mean staying one pace and work or doing massage on other hikers when walking yourself?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I had 30 mins leg massage in Pamplona and it was really really great. Do you mean staying one pace and work or doing massage on other hikers when walking yourself?
Hi. I was thinking staying in one place to work for about three months and then using the 4th month to walk myself. :) I would be happy to do chores in a hostel in between massages in order to have accommodation.

I'll just add my 2 cents here (I am a registered physiotherapist-acupuncturist).

While volunteering as a hospitalera along the Camino I have on several occasions offered my taping service or professional advice to pilgrims in need although I never advertised this and I certainly never accepted reimbursement. I also believe that we should support locals and Spanish physios as well as massage therapists are well educated.

I could envision you doing what you propose for room and board, but also receiving a salary would surprise me. Of course one never knows and good luck in trying.

I am currently in Ponferrada and had coffee yesterday with a friend whose daughter is a registered occupational and physiotherapist. She has 2 different jobs to make ends meet (recently graduated) and receives about €800 a month.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back