• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Masses Along the Way?

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I know this has been asked before, but can't find the post.

If you have attended a Mass on the Camino, and remember where and possibly the times, could you post it here?

I'm particularly interested in knowing if there is a Mass in SJPP for pilgrims beginning their walk?
But it would be nice to note where other Masses are available, so many churches were closed when I walked last year.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Roncesvalles has a mass at 8.00pm. 3 locals and 4 pilgrims there last night. Janet

I am not Catholic, but would like to attend Mass while on Camino. Is there any etiquette around this?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
O'Cebreiro - 6pm, very nice and they come around before mass to ask the nationalities and then try and have different parts in respective languages while there is a multilingual screen at the same time

I am not Catholic, but would like to attend Mass while on Camino. Is there any etiquette around this?

I'm not catholic and I went to mass several times without a problem, I just look at others and copy if there are parts that are different to my usual service ... in general i found churches very open and welcoming to all denominations attending.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Just to enter and sit quietly and to dress accordingly. Don't chat during the Rosary or Mass. Do not take photos during Mass. Do not show a lot of skin. Wear a skirt if you have one, or long pants rather than shorts. Try to cover your upper arms with a shirt or shawl. They're used to pilgrims.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Viana: if I recall around 19.00 or 20.00 (before the communal dinner in the parrochial albergue)

Grañón : at 19.00 (before the communal dinner at the parrochial albergue). Jesús the priest also blesses pilgrims (at least when I was there as a hospitalera in the summer).

Burgos: If you stay with Marie-Joëlle in Casa de Peregrinos Emaus (attached to church) you can be blessed by the priest during mass. This was also in the evening before the communal dinner.

Villalcázar de Sirga: This was also in the evening and pilgrims were blessed but I heard from a hospitalera that served there this year that the priest has changed and pilgrims are no longer blessed.

El Burgo Ranero: 11 a.m.

Information based on summers of 2010, 2012 and 2013.

I always thought the masses in the winter are usually earlier than the summer masses in the pueblos.

The little chapel about 200 metres before the big municipal albergue at Monte Gozo has a daily evening mass, it was about 7 pm when I attended last year but the mass times are posted outside. Only room for about 25 people inside, there were about 15 present when I was there from 7 countries, the priest got each of us to give a small reading in our own native language, a very simple ceremony and an utter contrast to the noon pilgrim mass I attended the next day in Santiago.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We arrived in Villar de Mazarife on a Saturday afternoon and inquired about a mass that night. We were told there was no mass until Sunday at 1 pm. Later that night, we saw several people leaving the church, so asked them and they said a German priest was travelling through and had a mass that night. We missed it :( Being Catholic, I know that priests must perform a mass every day, so if they are travelling the Camino, there may be "surprise" masses and any church along the way.

The little chapel about 200 metres before the big municipal albergue at Monte Gozo has a daily evening mass, it was about 7 pm when I attended last year but the mass times are posted outside. Only room for about 25 people inside, there were about 15 present when I was there from 7 countries, the priest got each of us to give a small reading in our own native language, a very simple ceremony and an utter contrast to the noon pilgrim mass I attended the next day in Santiago.

I noticed the contrast also, even between villages.
It sometimes seemed like an entirely different Mass.
I guess each priest has more freedom than I expected.
All were lovely… just different.

We arrived in Villar de Mazarife on a Saturday afternoon and inquired about a mass that night. We were told there was no mass until Sunday at 1 pm. Later that night, we saw several people leaving the church, so asked them and they said a German priest was travelling through and had a mass that night. We missed it :( Being Catholic, I know that priests must perform a mass every day, so if they are travelling the Camino, there may be "surprise" masses and any church along the way.

Yes, this is true! We experienced a backyard mass at Guacelmo in Rabanal when a Czech priest was walking the Camino and agreed to say Mass. This was during the time there was an argument going on with the Benedictines and the village and there were no priests in sight! Wonderful, simple, out in nature Mass. Loved it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Granon at 1900

Melide at 1900

Rabanal had chanting (not a mass) at 1900

Santiago has pilgrims mass at noon

In each case I went because a camino friend was going. I hadn't been to a church in many years prior.

It was interesting to think that people had been gathering in these churches to participate in the mass for more than a 1000 years.

We were able to attend Mass at least three times a week while on the Camino. Just check the local church or ask in a bar or tienda for the Mass times. Not all are specific "pilgrims' Masses" with special blessings for pilgrims, however.

For non-Catholics, just follow the lead of those around you when it comes to sitting, standing, or kneeling. After the Lord's Prayer, join in the sign of peace by shaking hands with those around you and say "Peace be with you" (it doesn't matter what language you say it in -- everyone knows the meaning of the words and the gesture). Regarding communion, there has been a lot of discussion on these forums regarding reception of the Eucharist by non-Catholics so I won't expound on that further here. Basically, at communion time, non-Catholics are welcome to approach the altar along with everyone else -- simply cross your arms in front of your chest with your hands on opposite shoulders, and you will receive a blessing by the priest in lieu of the Eucharist. The Mass is a beautiful ritual with roots going back to the first century after the death of Jesus. There is a specific order and meaning to every element of the Mass, and it's especially more meaningful when you attend Mass in a small village church that's over a thousand years old, and you find yourself sitting next to a person whose family has lived in that one village and attended that same church through all those generations.

Jim

hello jim,

the ritual of non-catholics approaching the altar with arms crossed in front of your chest to receive a blessing is not a custom or practice here in spain.

not many small pueblos have evening masses nightly as there are not enough priests around to say mass. many a priest in the local pueblo also say mass in maybe 4-6 other pueblos in the surrounding areas.

if you want to know whether there is mass in the evening, it is best to ask the older women in the pueblo, as the mass usually follows after the novena.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
hello jim,

the ritual of non-catholics approaching the altar with arms crossed in front of your chest to receive a blessing is not a custom or practice here in spain.

not many small pueblos have evening masses nightly as there are not enough priests around to say mass. many a priest in the local pueblo also say mass in maybe 4-6 other pueblos in the surrounding areas.

if you want to know whether there is mass in the evening, it is best to ask the older women in the pueblo, as the mass usually follows after the novena.

Thanks for your response. I don't know much about what is common custom or practice in Spain, but I only stated what was our experience on the CF in August and September of this year. It's true that many small villages may not have an evening Mass -- alas, that's the case in much of the world. We were, however, able to attend Mass on average three times a week, Sundays included. Maybe we were just lucky in our timing or happened to be in a larger town when we were able to attend. The point is, in response to the original question, it's simply a matter of asking someone about Mass to see if one is scheduled in whatever town or village you happen to be in.

Thanks for your response. I don't know much about what is common custom or practice in Spain, but I only stated what was our experience on the CF in August and September of this year. It's true that many small villages may not have an evening Mass -- alas, that's the case in much of the world. We were, however, able to attend Mass on average three times a week, Sundays included. Maybe we were just lucky in our timing or happened to be in a larger town when we were able to attend. The point is, in response to the original question, it's simply a matter of asking someone about Mass to see if one is scheduled in whatever town or village you happen to be in.

Hello jim,

I am not doubting you. I guess i am supposed to address the information about masses in the evening to peregrinos who are walking the caminos so that they won't be disappointed. This is also the reason why sunday masses in the small pueblos are all staggered for the simple reason that not many people enters the priesthood and there is a big shortage of priests in spain.

I always thought the masses in the winter are usually earlier than the summer masses in the pueblos.
In fact after the change of the Summer time hour to the legal hour ( last Saturday night of October until last Saturday night of March) masses tend to be said one hour earlier. I found, during summer the masses were either said at 7 pm or 8 pm. Check with your hospitalero who should know ( but not always the case)!
Of the places where we have attended mass, these come to my mind:
Roncesvalles with Special Pilgrim Blessing to send you on your Way.
Pamplona, Puente de la Reina, Ciracqui, Villatuerta, Estella, Grañon, Villafranca Monte de Oca, Burgos, Castrojeriz, Carrion de las Condes, Sahagun ( here we had great difficulty to get information. No one seemed to know anything, and this on a Sunday), Vilares de Orbigo, Rabanal( there is a daily mass at 9am, plus Sunday Mass I think at noon, apart of the daily evening Vespers chanted Gregorian style), Tricastela (slightly un-orthodox), Sarria, Portomarin, Arzua and, of course, Santiago.
On nearly every occasion, we have had to ask for the information. Perhaps only twice we were informed by the hospitaleros upon arrival, that there would be Mass that evening and at what time. Anne
By the way, a priest is not obliged to say Mass daily. He is however obliged to recite the Liturgia de las Horas ( Matins, Vispers, Compline, etc.)

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello jim,

I am not doubting you. I guess i am supposed to address the information about masses in the evening to peregrinos who are walking the caminos so that they won't be disappointed. This is also the reason why sunday masses in the small pueblos are all staggered for the simple reason that not many people enters the priesthood and there is a big shortage of priests in spain.

The shortage of priests is not only in Spain. The same problem exists in most of the world. Unfortunately for devout Catholic pilgrims who consider daily Mass attendance an important part of their lives, they will probably be disappointed to not have this luxury along the Camino. We consider ourselves lucky to have attended Mass as often as we did.

Regarding communion, there has been a lot of discussion on these forums regarding reception of the Eucharist by non-Catholics so I won't expound on that further here. Basically, at communion time, non-Catholics are welcome to approach the altar along with everyone else -- simply cross your arms in front of your chest with your hands on opposite shoulders, and you will receive a blessing by the priest in lieu of the Eucharist.

Jim

Thank you, Jim. I had seen this on TV somewhere and wondered why it was different.

Camino-parish priests are getting accustomed to the arm-crossing-for-a-blessing practices of pilgrims, but I do not think I have ever seen this aside from the Camino Francese. Normally, if French or Spanish worshippers do not take Communion, they stay in their seats.

Generally, churches open about half an hour or so before a Mass and there are often groups of women holding rosary-based services. Information on Mass times can be difficult to obtain, although in October I saw posters up in Galicia on the Francese giving Mass times. The best thing to do is ask around-- hospitaleros usually know, but not always. Remember that many people in Spain do not practise any religion (lots of history here!) and there are villagers and townspeople who will have no idea at all.

While RC priests are not obliged to say Mass daily, I am informed that some (not all!) Camino-parish priests are happy to have them join them at the altar-- pilgrim priests should always always carry their celebrets (documents authorizing them to celebrate, and signed by their bishops) to identify them as kosher (pardon!) clergy. Priests on pilgrimage should identify themselves as such when they get to Santiago and provision can be made for them there-- sometimes there is a possibility that they can concelebrate at the main pilgrims' Mass.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For non-Catholics, just follow the lead of those around you when it comes to sitting, standing, or kneeling. After the Lord's Prayer, join in the sign of peace by shaking hands with those around you and say "Peace be with you" (it doesn't matter what language you say it in -- everyone knows the meaning of the words and the gesture). Regarding communion, there has been a lot of discussion on these forums regarding reception of the Eucharist by non-Catholics so I won't expound on that further here. Basically, at communion time, non-Catholics are welcome to approach the altar along with everyone else -- simply cross your arms in front of your chest with your hands on opposite shoulders, and you will receive a blessing by the priest in lieu of the Eucharist. The Mass is a beautiful ritual with roots going back to the first century after the death of Jesus. There is a specific order and meaning to every element of the Mass, and it's especially more meaningful when you attend Mass in a small village church that's over a thousand years old, and you find yourself sitting next to a person whose family has lived in that one village and attended that same church through all those generations. Jim
And you become a member of the community in the church! It would be nice and polite if non-catholics stand up in respect during the consecration.

Last edited:
I have observed that Spanish and French RCs adopt various stances during the consecration, from kneeling to standing to sitting. Jmcarp's advice to follow local practice is best. Just be respectful and thoughtful.

It shouldn't be a problem, but out of respect, abstain from receiving communion!

I come from a very conservative religious family, so believe me, I won't be barrelling down the aisle to partake in communion in a denomination other than my "own". As I can only find one congregation to call "my own" on the entire camino, it is nice to know that other denominations are welcome to sit in on Mass, which is offered in relative abundance along the Way.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you are non catholic you do not go up for communion. The blessings after mass a different story, every pilgrim welcome. On my last two caminos, mass hard to come by, lucky even on Sunday, lack of priests. In burgos and vianna last September I was only pilgrim in the church for evening mass. Same in roncesvalles, but an hour later church packed to rafters for a concert.

I can recall very nice pilgrims' masses at Roncesvalles, in the church in the hotel/albergue complex; Logrono (can't remember the name of the church [it's not the cathedral], but it's right next to the big albergue0; Burgos, in one of the chapels attached to the cathedral, time early evening; Leon -- twice daily at St Isodora; and in Triacastela in the early evening. We attended many other Masses that were not specifically pilgrims' Masses, most of which were in the late afternoon/early evening time. Ask the hospitalero or a nearby shopkeeper for times. All the churches along the Camino seem to be accustomed to and very welcoming to pilgrims in attendance, whether Catholic or non-Catholic. It's also appreciated, but by no means mandatory, if you drop at least some loose change in the collection basket when it comes around.
Buen Camino,
Jim

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In general I found masses to be at either 7:00 or 7:30 in the evening. The only exception was one in Leon at 12:15. There might have been another but just happened on this one.
I found myself going to mass at least 3 or 4 times a week and even feeling that might not have been enough (my journal reflects that!). As for those not to miss:
Pamplona, Viana, Los Arcos, Carrion de las Condes, Granon (wonderful), Astorga, Rabanal del Camino, O Cebreiro, and of course Santiago.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back