A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Matador Soap Bar Case

2020 Camino Guides

prairiegirlmb

Camino(s) past & future
Porto to SDC (September 2020)
Has anyone tried this out yet? I was wondering if it is as good as it sounds. Would be perfect instead of a tin/hard shelled case.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Has anyone tried this out yet? I was wondering if it is as good as it sounds. Would be perfect instead of a tin/hard shelled case.

I checked it out, and it looked like it was just too small for my bar of soap. I wrap my soap in a small piece of microfiber, and put it in a ziplock bag.

henrythedog

Loved and fed by David
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)

Got one - for no good reason that I can think of. It does do what it claims (to an extent) but for the cost I’m really not sure it was worth it. I usually carry some liquid soap.

If there’s a solid bar left behind in the shower I’ll wash it off and happily use it.

SenorJacques

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances - Spring 2020
I have one of these and absolutely love it. I much prefer bar soap to liquid soap when I’m traveling, and this somehow manages to keep soap bars dry between uses so it doesn’t stay slimy and messy like hard soap cases do. It’s perfect for keeping the Dr. Bronner’s bar soap that I take along for all my camping trips (and will be using along my Camino, as it doubles as an excellent laundry soap, shampoo, and shave soap in addition to its usual use for face and body - long lasting too). Maybe a bit of an extravagance at $15 but it’s one of those daily use objects that somehow makes life more pleasant ... at least for me.

RJM

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
A few times
Thirteen dollars? More than I want to spend on a bag to put a bar of soap in. I'll stick to my dollar store plastic travel soap box. 😎

pelerine

Camino(s) past & future
Norte 10, Primitivo 13, Plata 14+15, Salvador 16, Torres 17, Portugues 18, Mozarabe 19
I use a small plastic bag. Doesn’t weigh anything and adapts itself to the decreasing volume of the soap bar. A bit sticky, but so what?!

JFG

Doing Caminos since 2003. Holy Cow!
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Portugues, Norte, Ignacio, Salvador, Tunnel, Ingles, and more...
We have used the bag on the link below for our soap for many years. You can keep the soap in it while in the shower and the bag acts as a skin scrubber. You can hang it in those showers where there's no soap tray. It can be hung on a clothesline or bed frame to dry out. It's cheap, too.
Hiker's Mesh Soap Sack Link

SenorJacques

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances - Spring 2020
Thirteen dollars? More than I want to spend on a bag to put a bar of soap in. I'll stick to my dollar store plastic travel soap box. 😎
To each their own, of course - but I should mention that that $13 bag makes my soap last at least 2-3 times longer than it did in my old dollar store plastic box, with much less mess and slime besides. To me I t’s well worth what ends up being a small investment in the greater scheme of things. And I’m sure there are items in your own kit that some of us would question the expense or economy of :)

prairiegirlmb

Camino(s) past & future
thanks for the replies...I have used a plastic bag before and I really don't like using the soap like that. The soap bar doesn't last too long as it turns to mush. Maybe I will put it on my Christmas list ;)

RJM

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
A few times
To each their own, of course - but I should mention that that $13 bag makes my soap last at least 2-3 times longer than it did in my old dollar store plastic box, with much less mess and slime besides. To me I t’s well worth what ends up being a small investment in the greater scheme of things. And I’m sure there are items in your own kit that some of us would question the expense or economy of :)
LOL....doubt if anything in my kit would be looked upon as expensive. Purchased probably 90% of it at discount and dollar stores along the lines of a Wal-Mart. My shoes have three Caminos to their credit. Some of the things I carry are left over from my days in the army.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I bring cheap shampoo in a travel size bottle with a flip top lid. I use it on my hair, my body in the shower, and for hand washing laundry. It makes no mess and I have even been known to top it off with leftovers from other pilgrims...easy peasy!

Jay Es

Camino(s) past & future
May 2017 the del Norte, home via the Portuguse to Vigo, Planning a Via de la Plata for October 2018.
I just stick my soap in a plastic bag. seems fine. But, as a collector of gear I can understand nice new gizmos. ;-))

pelerine

Camino(s) past & future
Norte 10, Primitivo 13, Plata 14+15, Salvador 16, Torres 17, Portugues 18, Mozarabe 19
I bring cheap shampoo in a travel size bottle with a flip top lid. I use it on my hair, my body in the shower, and for hand washing laundry. It makes no mess and I have even been known to top it off with leftovers from other pilgrims...easy peasy!
Brillant!

I just stick my soap in a plastic bag. seems fine. But, as a collector of gear I can understand nice new gizmos. ;-))
That is what I do and have done for many years...

K Turner

One step at a time
Camino(s) past & future
14 August 2019 (SJPdP 16 August)

I crocheted a holder for my soap bar. Basically I did an oversized wash cloth, closed three sides, and added a hanging loop.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
In addition to wrapping my shampoo bar (which I use for body and hair) in a small piece of microfiber cloth I keep it in a small mesh bag that I made, similar to the hikers mesh soap bag linked to above. I can hang it up to dry out on the clothesline.

prairiegirlmb

Camino(s) past & future
In addition to wrapping my shampoo bar (which I use for body and hair) in a small piece of microfiber cloth I keep it in a small mesh bag that I made, similar to the hikers mesh soap bag linked to above. I can hang it up to dry out on the clothesline.
That sounds like a great idea, thanks!

CatPhillips

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2016, Norte 2017, Primitivo 2017, Norte 2019, Primitivo 2019.
Just finished two weeks on the Portuguese using this soap bag. It might be a bit expensive but I love it. I always use bar soap and this somehow keeps it from being slimy and yucky. It’s amazing. Soap lasts much longer, too.

HE-J

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015)
The Hikers Mesh Soap Sack looks a bit like it’s made from similar material to net curtains...if I had some of this kicking about would it work ok if made into a draw string bag?

Marcus-UK

Old Git
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Ingles (2016) Camino Portuguese (2017) Considering Invierno 2019
I checked it out, and it looked like it was just too small for my bar of soap. I wrap my soap in a small piece of microfiber, and put it in a ziplock bag.
There was another thread about how you can use bar soap in the shower inside a "string bag". I think mainly for control and hanging. However this could coincide with your solution of placing a peice of bar soap inside a Sisal Soap bag and then placing inside a ziplock bag after use.
eg
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Siumir-Drawstring-Natural-Foaming-Exfoliation/dp/B07KS34D1T/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=FlatPak™+Soap+Bar+Case&qid=1574519421&sr=8-2

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
The Hikers Mesh Soap Sack looks a bit like it’s made from similar material to net curtains...if I had some of this kicking about would it work ok if made into a draw string bag?
Yes

Globalroaming074

Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2020)
I have one of these and absolutely love it. I much prefer bar soap to liquid soap when I’m traveling, and this somehow manages to keep soap bars dry between uses so it doesn’t stay slimy and messy like hard soap cases do. It’s perfect for keeping the Dr. Bronner’s bar soap that I take along for all my camping trips (and will be using along my Camino, as it doubles as an excellent laundry soap, shampoo, and shave soap in addition to its usual use for face and body - long lasting too). Maybe a bit of an extravagance at $15 but it’s one of those daily use objects that somehow makes life more pleasant ... at least for me.
The bag is interesting but the Dr Bronners interests me more as I normally travel with way too many toiletries and the idea of a soap that works for face, body, shave and laundry really appeals to me. From your experience how long does a bar last? If I’m doing 35 days will I need to pack a couple of bars or when you say long lasting how long can you make it stretch? Sounds like a miracle 😉👍

Jeff B

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2019
The bag is interesting but the Dr Bronners interests me more as I normally travel with way too many toiletries and the idea of a soap that works for face, body, shave and laundry really appeals to me. From your experience how long does a bar last? If I’m doing 35 days will I need to pack a couple of bars or when you say long lasting how long can you make it stretch? Sounds like a miracle 😉👍
I took one bar of Dr. B. soap in the Matador. It was barely enough to get me thru (from SJPP to Santiago), and I spent four nights in hotels where i didn't use it - also, did not use it for laundry, but used Sea to Summit Pocket laundry wash - dry leaves. I'd suggest you take two bars, or maybe better, pick up a 2nd bar of soap when you need it.

henrythedog

Loved and fed by David
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)
One bar of DrBs would most certainly not last an entire CdF if I used it daily. I’d need two, possibly three bars.

Happily, soap is also sold in Spain, and at substantially less cost.

DrBs is good soap but it is just soap.

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018)-Frances, Baztan, San Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra,VdlP, Madrid
If it keeps the water IN, how is it that the soap dries??
On my previous caminos I have used baking soda as shampoo but I now use a bar so I am looking for a solution that is slime-less! I was wondering about inserting my bar in a small piece of loofah and putting that in a plastic bag.

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018)-Frances, Baztan, San Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra,VdlP, Madrid
One for shampoo bar, one for conditioner bar and one for washing soap (which is much cheaper than my shampoo)
Cost: a few cents and an hour sewing A29A3ED0-3630-4F2F-876A-AC97B97D0806.jpeg

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 9 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 48 4.1%
  • April

Votes: 174 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 282 24.3%