• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Matador Soap Bar Case

prairiegirlmb

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto to SDC (September 2020)
Has anyone tried this out yet? I was wondering if it is as good as it sounds. Would be perfect instead of a tin/hard shelled case.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Has anyone tried this out yet? I was wondering if it is as good as it sounds. Would be perfect instead of a tin/hard shelled case.

I checked it out, and it looked like it was just too small for my bar of soap. I wrap my soap in a small piece of microfiber, and put it in a ziplock bag.

Got one - for no good reason that I can think of. It does do what it claims (to an extent) but for the cost I’m really not sure it was worth it. I usually carry some liquid soap.

If there’s a solid bar left behind in the shower I’ll wash it off and happily use it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have one of these and absolutely love it. I much prefer bar soap to liquid soap when I’m traveling, and this somehow manages to keep soap bars dry between uses so it doesn’t stay slimy and messy like hard soap cases do. It’s perfect for keeping the Dr. Bronner’s bar soap that I take along for all my camping trips (and will be using along my Camino, as it doubles as an excellent laundry soap, shampoo, and shave soap in addition to its usual use for face and body - long lasting too). Maybe a bit of an extravagance at $15 but it’s one of those daily use objects that somehow makes life more pleasant ... at least for me.

Thirteen dollars? More than I want to spend on a bag to put a bar of soap in. I'll stick to my dollar store plastic travel soap box. 😎

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We have used the bag on the link below for our soap for many years. You can keep the soap in it while in the shower and the bag acts as a skin scrubber. You can hang it in those showers where there's no soap tray. It can be hung on a clothesline or bed frame to dry out. It's cheap, too.
Hiker's Mesh Soap Sack Link

Thirteen dollars? More than I want to spend on a bag to put a bar of soap in. I'll stick to my dollar store plastic travel soap box. 😎

To each their own, of course - but I should mention that that $13 bag makes my soap last at least 2-3 times longer than it did in my old dollar store plastic box, with much less mess and slime besides. To me I t’s well worth what ends up being a small investment in the greater scheme of things. And I’m sure there are items in your own kit that some of us would question the expense or economy of :)

thanks for the replies...I have used a plastic bag before and I really don't like using the soap like that. The soap bar doesn't last too long as it turns to mush. Maybe I will put it on my Christmas list ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
To each their own, of course - but I should mention that that $13 bag makes my soap last at least 2-3 times longer than it did in my old dollar store plastic box, with much less mess and slime besides. To me I t’s well worth what ends up being a small investment in the greater scheme of things. And I’m sure there are items in your own kit that some of us would question the expense or economy of :)
LOL....doubt if anything in my kit would be looked upon as expensive. Purchased probably 90% of it at discount and dollar stores along the lines of a Wal-Mart. My shoes have three Caminos to their credit. Some of the things I carry are left over from my days in the army.

I bring cheap shampoo in a travel size bottle with a flip top lid. I use it on my hair, my body in the shower, and for hand washing laundry. It makes no mess and I have even been known to top it off with leftovers from other pilgrims...easy peasy!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I bring cheap shampoo in a travel size bottle with a flip top lid. I use it on my hair, my body in the shower, and for hand washing laundry. It makes no mess and I have even been known to top it off with leftovers from other pilgrims...easy peasy!

Brillant!

I just stick my soap in a plastic bag. seems fine. But, as a collector of gear I can understand nice new gizmos. ;-))

That is what I do and have done for many years...

I crocheted a holder for my soap bar. Basically I did an oversized wash cloth, closed three sides, and added a hanging loop.

In addition to wrapping my shampoo bar (which I use for body and hair) in a small piece of microfiber cloth I keep it in a small mesh bag that I made, similar to the hikers mesh soap bag linked to above. I can hang it up to dry out on the clothesline.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In addition to wrapping my shampoo bar (which I use for body and hair) in a small piece of microfiber cloth I keep it in a small mesh bag that I made, similar to the hikers mesh soap bag linked to above. I can hang it up to dry out on the clothesline.
That sounds like a great idea, thanks!

The Hikers Mesh Soap Sack looks a bit like it’s made from similar material to net curtains...if I had some of this kicking about would it work ok if made into a draw string bag?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I checked it out, and it looked like it was just too small for my bar of soap. I wrap my soap in a small piece of microfiber, and put it in a ziplock bag.
There was another thread about how you can use bar soap in the shower inside a "string bag". I think mainly for control and hanging. However this could coincide with your solution of placing a peice of bar soap inside a Sisal Soap bag and then placing inside a ziplock bag after use.
eg
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KS34D1T/?tag=casaivar-21

used it for the CF which i completed last month. Worked great - didn't leak, easy to use. Glad i bought it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have one of these and absolutely love it. I much prefer bar soap to liquid soap when I’m traveling, and this somehow manages to keep soap bars dry between uses so it doesn’t stay slimy and messy like hard soap cases do. It’s perfect for keeping the Dr. Bronner’s bar soap that I take along for all my camping trips (and will be using along my Camino, as it doubles as an excellent laundry soap, shampoo, and shave soap in addition to its usual use for face and body - long lasting too). Maybe a bit of an extravagance at $15 but it’s one of those daily use objects that somehow makes life more pleasant ... at least for me.
The bag is interesting but the Dr Bronners interests me more as I normally travel with way too many toiletries and the idea of a soap that works for face, body, shave and laundry really appeals to me. From your experience how long does a bar last? If I’m doing 35 days will I need to pack a couple of bars or when you say long lasting how long can you make it stretch? Sounds like a miracle 😉👍

The bag is interesting but the Dr Bronners interests me more as I normally travel with way too many toiletries and the idea of a soap that works for face, body, shave and laundry really appeals to me. From your experience how long does a bar last? If I’m doing 35 days will I need to pack a couple of bars or when you say long lasting how long can you make it stretch? Sounds like a miracle 😉👍
I took one bar of Dr. B. soap in the Matador. It was barely enough to get me thru (from SJPP to Santiago), and I spent four nights in hotels where i didn't use it - also, did not use it for laundry, but used Sea to Summit Pocket laundry wash - dry leaves. I'd suggest you take two bars, or maybe better, pick up a 2nd bar of soap when you need it.

One bar of DrBs would most certainly not last an entire CdF if I used it daily. I’d need two, possibly three bars.

Happily, soap is also sold in Spain, and at substantially less cost.

DrBs is good soap but it is just soap.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If it keeps the water IN, how is it that the soap dries??
On my previous caminos I have used baking soda as shampoo but I now use a bar so I am looking for a solution that is slime-less! I was wondering about inserting my bar in a small piece of loofah and putting that in a plastic bag.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
One for shampoo bar, one for conditioner bar and one for washing soap (which is much cheaper than my shampoo)
Cost: a few cents and an hour sewingA29A3ED0-3630-4F2F-876A-AC97B97D0806.jpeg

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.