• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mattress covers?

Walkingboy

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France
I was intending to take an old single sheet to put over the mattresses but am also trying to save weight. Do most places supply a cover on the mattress or if not what is the condition of them?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was intending to take an old single sheet to put over the mattresses but am also trying to save weight. Do most places supply a cover on the mattress or if not what is the condition of them?

Hi, you’ll need to take either a sleeping bag, or a liner, both of which will “protect” you from the mattress if no covers are provided. Don’t bother taking your own mattress cover. Some albergues give you a disposable mattress cover when you check in. I have occasionally taken mine with me next day, for future use in albergues that don’t provide mattress covers, as they are extremely lightweight.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
be safe take a single sheet. I do every year and spay mine with Permetherin. I have never had Bed bugs.

Suffering from dust mite allergies, so I took a very lightweight dust mite blocker sheet. I used it on top of the ones that were provided. It saved me from nightly asthma attacks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I took a sheet of Tveck (super light) cut to go over the edges of a twin bed (the size of most auberge bunks) washed it to soften, and sprayed it with pyremethrin and used it to cover every sleeping surface

I slept in a sleeping bag and had my face on a stuff sac etc, not in direct contact with the sheet
many people will not be comfortable with this level of exposure but it provided some imagined security for me

I do every year and spay mine with Permetherin. I have never had Bed bugs.
I took a sheet applied with Permetherin (and to the rest of my gear) and experienced bed bugs bites twice on the Camino. There are no guarantees that’s for sure.

Hi, you’ll need to take either a sleeping bag, or a liner, both of which will “protect” you from the mattress if no covers are provided. Don’t bother taking your own mattress cover. Some albergues give you a disposable mattress cover when you check in. I have occasionally taken mine with me next day, for future use in albergues that don’t provide mattress covers, as they are extremely lightweight.

This idea intrigues me. How durable are these disposable covers? Can you get several nights out of them? Thanks
Lindsay

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
On our first Camino, I ordered bed bug sheets from the UK (purpleturtle.co.uk), since we could not find them in the States, and we didn't really know what to expect in the albergues. They were extremely light and compact. They were coated with Permethrin (which I'm fine with); however, we were glad we ordered double bed-sized sheets, as the single-sized would have been too small to drape over the albergue mattresses.

I don't know whether or not they were effective or particularly necessary. Of course, on the next trip, I treated our sleeping bags with Permethrin and didn't take the bed bug sheets. My wife did get some bites about half way through the trip.

Didn't do anything last summer to our bags or take the sheets, and had no issues...Not sure if we'll take them with us this summer.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Nowadays permanent plastic matress-covers become more and more popular for the prevention of bedbugs. I first saw them on the Camino Portugese. They are not very cosy.

As I tend to open my sleeping-back when it is warm and turn frequently at night, I often find myself on the bare matress in the morning. Thus I bought a light and cheap mikrofibre fitted sheet (120 gr). It gives me much more comfort which outweighs the additional weight.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I carry a single-size fitted sheet as well as my sleep sack. I don´t feel the weight, and I am very glad to have that layer between me and the mattress.

I always take my own pillowcase. Use it to store things in during the day and I can stuff it at night when there's no pillows and I always know who's head has been on it. It's my luxury item in my rucksack

"This idea intrigues me. How durable are these disposable covers? "

they are tissue thin. so nto hardy. and I would be concerned taking it from one auberge to the other in case of transmission.
I expect the treated Tyveck I carry wouldn't do that

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I bought a lightweight rectangular silk liner and cut it open (in a T-shape cut, all the way down right in the middle and then right and left to the bottom corners). That left me with a generous sheet with a pillow compartment.
I was glad to have this between myself and the mostly not-so-clean mattress covers provided. I covered myself with my lightweight down bag that can be opened and used like a duvet.
See bottom bunk in the picture.

be safe take a single sheet. I do every year and spay mine with Permetherin. I have never had Bed bugs.
I also take a single sheet, but one made from a silk-like polyester, weighs next to nothing. Also spray with Permethrin and put it down on the mattress FIRST before anything else. Depending on the season, will add a silk liner or lightweight sleep sack. Ultreia! elle

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My last Camino was in June and July. I do not use a sleeping bag, only a silk liner. I soak it in a permathrin solution and just sleep in it in my underpants. In a couple of places in the higher altitude a blanket was provided and they were the only times I needed one. My silk liner is the rectangular one, not the tapered one. They are extremly small and light to carry. If you feel a bit cool at night you can always put on a few clothes but I never felt the need.

The volunteer at the very first albergue I stayed in got upset with me when I told her I had stripped the bed when I woke up that morning. She went to find them and put them back on the bed.
Also, it seems that common practice had changed at some point during the last season. The paper mattress covers were out, and from Roncesvalles to Burgos, a kind of polyester/plastic mattress casing was in. I had taken one of those bedbug sheets with me, but it had become redundant. Nest stage I'll take a lightweight fitted sheet with me, didn't like sleeping on plastic.

I make my own cover from Tyvek--spray with permethrin, and use a single silk sheet sewn into the bottom of the Tyvek. And bring my own silk pillow case. Saw a recent thread that was same Mcgyver but cannot find it now.
Those temporary paper covers do not even make it thru one night the way I toss and turn after a long walk.
And with even minor heat, the plastic mattress covers leave me in a pool of sweat.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I take my sleeping bag and just don't worry about it. Most places I've stayed have sheets and more and more have disposable covers.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back