• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mattresses at Monasterio San Anton

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Time of past OR future Camino
Many, various, and continuing.
I am coordinating hospitaleros at the scruffy little donativo albergue in the ruined Monastery of San Anton de Castrojeriz this year. Whilst cleaning up and preparing for our May 1 opening day, I found the mattresses there are in very sad shape -- 15 years old and very much the worse for wear.
If you've ever complained about ratty mattresses at albergues, put your money where your mouth is!
A new mattress costs about 100 Euros. We need 15 of them, and soon...
If you're interested in sponsoring one (or more!), please contact me -- the Paypal button and a full description of the place and issue is on http://moratinoslife.blogspot.com .
I will put your name in the little niche where monks once left food for pilgrims who arrived late... now a place where passing pilgs leave their prayer requests and written testimonies.

If this kind of post is out of line, please let me know ASAP.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Rebekah, I will happily send you what you need for 1 mattress. Just give me until the end of the week to replenish my cc as I have just come back from a conference to a 2 500$ mecanich's bill

I am coordinating hospitaleros at the scruffy little donativo albergue in the ruined Monastery of San Anton de Castrojeriz this year. Whilst cleaning up and preparing for our May 1 opening day, I found the mattresses there are in very sad shape -- 15 years old and very much the worse for wear.
If you've ever complained about ratty mattresses at albergues, put your money where your mouth is!
If you're interested in sponsoring one (or more!), please contact me -- the Paypal button and a full description of the place and issue is on http://moratinoslife.blogspot.com .
I will put your name in the little niche where monks once left food for pilgrims who arrived late... now a place where passing pilgs leave their prayer requests and written testimonies.

Hi Rebekah--just made the donation on your blog! Liz

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hey Reb, just made a mattress donation as well.
After reading your blog about the state of the garden at San Anton, how about sending me a short list of plants, flowers or ground cover I might bring with me in July?
I am so sorry to hear about Bella.
DSCN0205.JPG

I don't have enough income to afford a whole mattress, but I've donated a tiny portion of one, lol, or whatever use you'd like to put it to. San Anton sounds really fab. It would be great to see some photos sometime. Would love to see the stone decorations, especially the Griffins. All the very best with your venture. :)

After reading your blog about the state of the garden at San Anton, how about sending me a short list of plants, flowers or ground cover I might bring with me in July?...[/ATTACH]

What about a garden of simples ie medicinal herbs? Every monastery had one and there is precedent on the CF for redoing one at the Italian albergue near Itero de Vega. I can not work at San Anton this summer but I would love to design a simple plan. Just send me a sketch plan of the area. If it began small it could be extended each year.

MM

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When I stayed at the albergue in Catrojeriz in 2000 on my very first camino (this was before the municipal had opened, it was run by that guy with the curly hair who played music at 6 every morning -- anyone remember his name?), the hospitalero proudly told us that the mattresses we were sleeping on were from the Civil War, which was plausible based on their appearance. That was years before the bedbug plague hit the camino, so my guess is that they have since been retired. I will make a donation when I get back to my computer, Reb. You're an angel to do this. Laurie

Hi, wanted to make donation but PayPal is dealing in dollars not euros or pounds. Please would you post equivalent amounts for me. I'm not well up in dollar/euro exchange rates. Thank you. Would have loved to have stayed at San Anton, it looked like a magical place.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Put me down for one. Haven't got my cc handy at the minute so I'll donate later.
I notice that the Euro now is equal to $1.09. Maths isn't my strong point, is $110 equal to €100?
I just read the post here and not the blog before making my donation. I've added a little to cover the entire cost of a mattress.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks Doug, v helpful. Have made a donation.

Rebekah, hope you get this ok. Would like plaque to be 'Janet and Joe' hope that's alright

Hi, wanted to make donation but PayPal is dealing in dollars not euros or pounds. Please would you post equivalent amounts for me. I'm not well up in dollar/euro exchange rates. Thank you. Would have loved to have stayed at San Anton, it looked like a magical place.
$142 Us covered 130 Euros. which was the amount mentioned on Rebekah's blog, hope this helps.

Thank you Ingrid, that's about what what I sent, gets complicated doesn't it as my accounts are in British pounds, but isn't Paypal wonderful.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
... and BTW, there won't be any honor plaques. (I assume you were kidding.) San Anton isn't that kind of place.
I'm putting donors' names under the arch alongside the camino, but just on paper. They can molder in there along with the little prayers and notes and flowers left by the passing pilgrims.
The angels come and read them at night. :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Rebekah, as promised last week, I made the payment for one mattress. Best of luck with getting things ready.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Rebekah:

I just sent enough for a mattress through PayPay on your blog. As I was unsure of the present USD > Euro exchange rate, I rounded my contribution up to the next USD $50. Use the leftover for...whatever...I am confident you will find a worthwhile use.

Thanks again for your support during my recent, abortive, fourth Camino. The "sold" house closing in VA is next week. The FL "buying" house closing is the following week. We will be very busy here.

You might consider any overage for a propane refrigerator, so Don can have cold cerveza when he serves as a hospitalero, and pilgrims with medication requiring refrigeration can use it overnight... Just a thought...

Best wishes for a good season...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
AFTER I donated, Rebekah wrote me to explain that the original post was from LAST YEAR...DOH! Senior moment!!! Of course, I asked her to use the money for mattresses or whatever else she needed. Bear that date continuum thing in mind when reading posts...
Not a Senior Moment at all - just shows how timeless and relevant the posts are!

It's good to think that the mattresses have provided hundreds of pilgrims with a comfortable nights sleep since they were installed

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Viewed another way, think of all the pilgrims, from all over the world that I am "supporting" (literally) by my mattress donation. It helps me sleep better.

Plus, I KNOW Rebekah uses ALL donated funds in a responsible and worthwhile manner. There is no one I trust more.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back