• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Maximum ATM withdrawal amount

TMcA

Time of past OR future Camino
Pamplona to Santiago (2013)
Le Puy to Pamplona in segments (2013 - 2016)
Pamplona to León
I am using my ATM card from a U.S. bank to obtain euros. In Portugal where I started walking, max withdrawal was 200€. I’m now in Vigo (Spain) and will soon need to make another withdrawal. Last year I think the max withdrawal in Spain was 300 €. Is this still the case?

BTW, I think I was able to withdraw 500€ in France two years ago.

Thanks for any help.

Tom

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, max. 300. But, as I have on my card (Norw. Visa) max/week is 1000, so I can do several withdrawals/week up to that limit.

I also carry a Mastercard with a limit of 3.000 Euros.

Yes, max. 300. But, as I have on my card (Norw.) max/week is 1000, so I can do several withdrawas/week up to that limit.
Thanks. The way the amount changes by country was a bit confusing.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Agree. But I find 300 gets me going for 8-10 days in Spain, even if I indulge in a cold beer or two on sunny days. :cool: But I see you have walked before, so you'll know.

Usually 300€ lasts my wife and I a week or so also. But in Santiago we need to repay a group of French hikers who have reserved rooms for us on a loop north to Muxia and then west and south to Fisterre. Plus pay into their communal kitty used for lunch, beer, and dinner.

Your bank also has a cap on daily withdrawal amounts. You can change that by communicating with your bank.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am using my ATM card from a U.S. bank to obtain euros. In Portugal where I started walking, max withdrawal was 200€. I’m now in Vigo (Spain) and will soon need to make another withdrawal. Last year I think the max withdrawal in Spain was 300 €. Is this still the case?

Thanks for any help.

Tom

i believe that the limit is set by your bank (and by default for safety reasons it's usually not that high), not the atm you are using.
the only limit i have for one withdrawal is the size of the space where the cash comes out.
howeverm i have a spanish bank account and use a spanish debit card.

My ATM daily cash limits are set by my banking institution (local credit union and Schwab). One is $350 and one is $500 daily. I need to convert to euros to know the max I can take. I have had minor problems with 'timestamps' from Pacific Standard Time. I have not had a problem with smaller local limits at banks in France, Spain, or Portugal.
Big problem in Argentina where local max was $100.
I ALWAYS call my banks and credit card companies s before Camino and have them post a ?travel warning? so their algorithms will not block my access to needed funds and force me to call their customer service.
YMMV

My experience with Spanish ATMs is that each bank set the daily limit. I had 450€ set by my bank in my country so I couldn't get any more nowhere in the world but in Spain somewhere ATM gave me just 200€ or 350€ or even full 450€ as at home. Depends on the bank that owns the ATM. In any case you won't be able to withdraw more than your bank cap is.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I generally restrict myself to €300 each withdrawal. It seems to work well for me. When on Camino, I use cash (en efectivo) to pay for everything including hostals or albergues.

Limits seem to me to be set, first by the banks to conserve their ATMs' cash hopper, and then by the card issuer. I seem to recall somewhere that the limit was set by law in Portugal, but I could well be wrong on this. My card issuer will allow USD 400, but permits €300 at a go overseas.

The €300 I withdraw usually lasts about 4 - 5 days. I am never at a loss for the next ATM machine. MOSt card issuers have an app that allows you to locate an ATM anywhere in the world. Check it out on your app store site.

FYI, My credit card remains in my stash except for multi-day stays in a major city. It NEVER leaves my direct line of sight.

Hope this helps.

I will be on CP soon. Could someone please also shed light on:

#1 - Exchange rate used in ATM.
Yesterday, I pre-paid my luggage transfer fee. The service provider used BBVA (a bank). The rate was: 1 CAD = 0.639016 euros (includes 3% markup over wholesale rate provided by BBVA) Is the rate reasonable?

#2 - I heard ATM operators, not sure the ones in Spain or in Portugal, they charge a "handling" or "admin" fee of 6 euros per transaction. Is this information correct?

Thanks,

Yes, max. 300. But, as I have on my card (Norw. Visa) max/week is 1000, so I can do several withdrawals/week up to that limit.

I also carry a Mastercard with a limit of 3.000 Euros.

I make sure myself using a debit card instead of a credit card (VISA, MC) to withdraw cash. I think to withdraw cash using credit cards considered "cash advance" which requires huge interests.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was able to withdraw 600 euro in Burgos at CaixaBank for a 5 euro fee. Santander charged me 5 and only allowed 200 euros to be withdrawn in Logróno

Usually 300€ lasts my wife and I a week or so also. But in Santiago we need to repay a group of French hikers who have reserved rooms for us on a loop north to Muxia and then west and south to Fisterre. Plus pay into their communal kitty used for lunch, beer, and dinner.
May I ask if that €300 per week is staying in albergues or private rooms? My daughter and I are on our way to sjpp :)

I think there is a myth about the CF being cash only area, i have just looked at my phone, I have used google pay 16 times between St Jean and Salceda in the last 25 days. Admittedly I hadto show them how to use the machine afrw times.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
May I ask if that €300 per week is staying in albergues or private rooms? My daughter and I are on our way to sjpp :)

I hesitate to advise you, but...

Look at the site gronze.com and check lodging prices for the Camino Francés. That will help you start to answer your question.

Add your meals. Breakfast 3 or 4€ per person. Do you picnic for lunch and buy the food you need or have lunch in a cafe? Finally dinner - the pilgrim menu will be less than 15€ per person.

Other stops? You should buy something if you use the facilities of a cafe or bar. Beer or wine or another drink after arriving at your lodging ? Hand wash your clothes? If not, you’ll pay 8-9€ to have an albergue do it. Probably more in more expensive lodging.

Above are estimates. Even if you wind up at the high end, you’ll never have a cheaper European vacation.

Buen camino.

Tom

I hesitate to advise you, but...

Look at the site gronze.com and check lodging prices for the Camino Francés. That will help you start to answer your question.

Add your meals. Breakfast 3 or 4€ per person. Do you picnic for lunch and buy the food you need or have lunch in a cafe? Finally dinner - the pilgrim menu will be less than 15€ per person.

Other stops? You should buy something if you use the facilities of a cafe or bar. Beer or wine or another drink after arriving at your lodging ? Hand wash your clothes? If not, you’ll pay 8-9€ to have an albergue do it. Probably more in more expensive lodging.

Above are estimates. Even if you wind up at the high end, you’ll never have a cheaper European vacation.

Buen camino.

Tom
Thank you Tom :)

The limit withdrawal is per bank. If you need more cash, cross over the street and withdraw another €300 from another bank's ATM.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Thanks for any help.

Tom
Unicaja in Fuengirola just let me withdraw 1000 euros from my US checking account.

Warning about bringing euro with you from home….but only if you are as dim witted as I was!
I thought I was on the ball, bringing euro from home on our CF, split between the two of us.
The bank suggested some mixed bills, and at least one larger “as a safe guard “….so I ended up with a 500. Euro.
Anyone care to guess what there is zero chance of breaking, even at a bank? You guessed it! A 500. Euro note.
I ended up bringing it back to Canada, and back to the same bank I got it from. The lady that talked me into it was ….surprised that it would have been and issue!
Bring smaller bills, save your self the headache! Learn from this dim wit!

Anyone care to guess what there is zero chance of breaking, even at a bank? You guessed it! A 500
There was recent discussion in financial circles about getting rid of this note. It seems that it is really only used by drug dealers and others who want to hide and launder cash!

It is also so rare that most people wont risk accepting one because they don't recognise it and the possibility of it being a counterfeit note.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There was recent discussion in financial circles about getting rid of this note. It seems that it is really only used by drug dealers and others who want to hide and launder cash!

It is also so rare that most people wont risk accepting one because they don't recognise it and the possibility of it being a counterfeit note.
Yup, lesson learned!

@Doughnut NZ posted a chart for me last fall about bank fees in Spain. Maybe he will repost?

I would budget a bit more this year on spending as food and energy costs are on the rise. In 2016 a 300 euro withdrawal did last 5 or 6 days for 2 people (at least for us), but now depending on your bed cost will not go as far. My husband spent more last fall and I expect we will spend more this coming summer.

@Doughnut NZ posted a chart for me last fall about bank fees in Spain. Maybe he will repost?

I would budget a bit more this year on spending as food and energy costs are on the rise. In 2016 a 300 euro withdrawal did last 5 or 6 days for 2 people (at least for us), but now depending on your bed cost will not go as far. My husband spent more last fall and I expect we will spend more this coming summer.
It is not my chart, it was prepared and updated by @Ungawawa and can be found here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...e-cheat-sheet.749/updates#resource-update-844

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.