• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Maximum size of luggage that can be sent through the mail, and how it should be prepared?

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
The question was:

I have questions about the maximum size of luggage that can be sent through the mail, and how it should be prepared. Wrap it in plastic? Box it up?

In Spain I believe the limit is 25 or 30kg per parcel. So if your airline let you fly with it, you can ship it.... I believe the same is true from Portugal and France (although the price is higher since it would be an international shipment).

How should you ship it?

You have a few alternatives:
  • If it is already in a suitcase, you can ship that. It needs to be locked and you should also wrap it somehow. I get small roller bags that have been put in boxes, but you can also wrap it with plastic wrap (a roll of kitchen wrap from the supermarket is fine...just roll it around the suitcase). It is a good idea to add my address label under the plastic wrap. The post office will add another label on the outside of the plastic, but sometimes (especially from from, France) the label they put on might fall off... so it is good to have a 2nd address label under the plastic.
  • Boxes. The post office sell boxes where you can put your things and ship to me. The largest box at the french and the portuguese post office is rather small, but if you get your own box (supermarket,...) you can ship that. The spanish post office have a wide range of sizes of their boxes. They are 3-5 euros each.
  • Last year I also started colaborating with sendmybag.com . With them you arrange for pickup ahead of time on their website and they will come and pick up and deliver to me (from any hotel, pension,...). This is a bit more pricy, but easy. More on this here:
    http://www.casaivar.com/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/sending-instructions.html
Please do not send anything from outside of the EU (this includes Switzerland and Norway) since it will get stuck in spanish customs.

Hope this helps,
Ivar

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Is this post still the most up to date info? Is it possible for me to mail to you from the US now? I have stuff I want to take to the UK with me, after I arrive in Santiago. And then I'd like to use the box to ship a few of my pilgrim items back home to the US from Spain. @ivar

Is this post still the most up to date info? Is it possible for me to mail to you from the US now? I have stuff I want to take to the UK with me, after I arrive in Santiago. And then I'd like to use the box to ship a few of my pilgrim items back home to the US from Spain. @ivar
Yes, this is up to date (I posted it a few days ago).

Please do not send anything from the US since it will get stuck in customs. :(

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

What a bummer. OK, I'll see what I can work out. Thank you.

Hi Ivar,
I'm from the US and walking the Camino Portuguese, currently inPontevedra. When I was in Opirrino last night I had my wallet with my ID and credit cards stolen. Luckily I had my passport and euros tucked away safe and sound. I'm working with people at home to get a replacemen card to me asap ad it is the only way for me access cash. When I walked the Frances last last year I had a letter sized envelope mailed to you without incident. Have things changed and it's unlikely a package (letter) won't be delivered or are you saying that only because the expectations of a fast delivery could leave people upset when held up in customs. If this is the case I'm willing to take my chances. Otherwise I'm going to need to cut my losses and fly home. Disastrous!!
So I ask if there is another option I'm overlooking? I was so hopeful to have it delivered to your storage..., even with risks of customs hold up. Please advise.
Thank you so much!!

Jennifer Thompson.
(Ivar: edited out email address)

Ps. Congrats on the new baby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ivar,
I'm from the US and walking the Camino Portuguese, currently inPontevedra. When I was in Opirrino last night I had my wallet with my ID and credit cards stolen. Luckily I had my passport and euros tucked away safe and sound. I'm working with people at home to get a replacemen card to me asap ad it is the only way for me access cash. When I walked the Frances last last year I had a letter sized envelope mailed to you without incident. Have things changed and it's unlikely a package (letter) won't be delivered or are you saying that only because the expectations of a fast delivery could leave people upset when held up in customs. If this is the case I'm willing to take my chances. Otherwise I'm going to need to cut my losses and fly home. Disastrous!!
So I ask if there is another option I'm overlooking? I was so hopeful to have it delivered to your storage..., even with risks of customs hold up. Please advise.
Thank you so much!!

Jennifer Thompson.
Dreamfarmgirl@gmail.com

There is usually no problems with letters. Send away!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Ivar,
Thank you so much!!

Jennifer Thompson.
(Ivar: edited out email address)

Last year I was pickpocketed in Madrid before I even started the Camino and lost all my cash and cards. I had the bank send the cards to Corazón Puro because it was the only address that I had on the Camino. They were sent via UPS and DHL, and arrived quickly. One of the envelopes reached Corazón Puro in about 5 days, and I was able to pick it up the day I walked through their town. The other arrived a few days later and then they sent it on to the post office in Burgos, where I picked it up about a week later. In the meantime, my husband sent me cash via Western Union. Everything worked out well and I had a great Camino. Good luck to you!

P. S. Edit your post and remove you email address - unless you like lots of spam!

Last edited by a moderator:
If one uses the Spanish Correos for backpack delivery between towns, does one have to take it to the Post Office or do they pick it up from the albergue?

If one uses the Spanish Correos for backpack delivery between towns, does one have to take it to the Post Office or do they pick it up from the albergue?

The Correos picks up from the albergue. Most albergues have forms for you to attach to your backpack and will show/help you request the Correos (or other ) service.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ivar:
The instructions at the top of this thread are dated 2017. Are they still accurate?
Thanks,
Bob
Sorry for replying late to this... Nothing has really changed, just remember that anything shipped from outside the EU generates a lot of troubles.. so please do not do that.

The question was:

I have questions about the maximum size of luggage that can be sent through the mail, and how it should be prepared. Wrap it in plastic? Box it up?

In Spain I believe the limit is 25 or 30kg per parcel. So if your airline let you fly with it, you can ship it.... I believe the same is true from Portugal and France (although the price is higher since it would be an international shipment).

How should you ship it?

You have a few alternatives:
  • If it is already in a suitcase, you can ship that. It needs to be locked and you should also wrap it somehow. I get small roller bags that have been put in boxes, but you can also wrap it with plastic wrap (a roll of kitchen wrap from the supermarket is fine...just roll it around the suitcase). It is a good idea to add my address label under the plastic wrap. The post office will add another label on the outside of the plastic, but sometimes (especially from from, France) the label they put on might fall off... so it is good to have a 2nd address label under the plastic.
  • Boxes. The post office sell boxes where you can put your things and ship to me. The largest box at the french and the portuguese post office is rather small, but if you get your own box (supermarket,...) you can ship that. The spanish post office have a wide range of sizes of their boxes. They are 3-5 euros each.
  • Last year I also started colaborating with sendmybag.com . With them you arrange for pickup ahead of time on their website and they will come and pick up and deliver to me (from any hotel, pension,...). This is a bit more pricy, but easy. More on this here:
    http://www.casaivar.com/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/sending-instructions.html
Please do not send anything from outside of the EU (this includes Switzerland and Norway) since it will get stuck in spanish customs.

Hope this helps,
Ivar
Hi Ivar I am arriving in Porto May 17 starting walking two days later. i want to send my bag to Santiago and collect when I am finished. I am interested in sending this through send my bag.com. I am hoping I can organise this before I leave NZ. Thanks Ivar. Kind regards Beth

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Ivar I am arriving in Porto May 17 starting walking two days later. i want to send my bag to Santiago and collect when I am finished. I am interested in sending this through send my bag.com. I am hoping I can organise this before I leave NZ. Thanks Ivar. Kind regards Beth
From Porto you can use the Portuguese post office to mail to Santiago.
Also TuiTrans will ship directly from Porto to Santiago, but I believe that they have their own storage facility.

Last year I used a company called Luggage Driver to ship a suitcase to Santiago - they contract with a hotel in Santiago with luggage storage. They were very easy to work with.

If you decide to ship with the post office, I would add an address label on the suitcase, then plastic wrap it (get some kitchen wrap from the supermarket), then the post office will add another address label on top of the plastic. That should do it.

Hi Ivar,
We have used your service before for previous caminos, Frances and Portuguese. We are now, hopefully, going to walk the Via Podeinesis and wondering if it is feasible to get luggage sent from Le Puy direct to you. Our plan is to, fingers crossed, get to St. Jean see how we feel and either keep going or train to Santiago and then go out to Finisterre.

Is the postal service the only option? Wish I could do a 3.5 month Europe trip with just my back pack;)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Ivar,
We have used your service before for previous caminos, Frances and Portuguese. We are now, hopefully, going to walk the Via Podeinesis and wondering if it is feasible to get luggage sent from Le Puy direct to you. Our plan is to, fingers crossed, get to St. Jean see how we feel and either keep going or train to Santiago and then go out to Finisterre.

Is the postal service the only option? Wish I could do a 3.5 month Europe trip with just my back pack;)
I do get a lot if boxes and suitcases from France, so that should be possible. Not exactly sure the weight limit for the French post office, but I think it is 25kg as it is in Spain (I get large suitcases from France using the post office).

These people also run an excellent service. It may be easier:

This may be the solution to my transcontinental move that shall coincide with my Camino (I have to go to Portugal, so why not walk the Caminho?).

I'll be arriving in PT with multiple large cases & am at a bit of a loss as to where to store them. Your business of storing luggage is an absolute godsend. Is it asking too much to have several (as in: all my worldly belongings) suitcases? Would be shipping from Portugal if I can figure it all out.

This may be the solution to my transcontinental move that shall coincide with my Camino (I have to go to Portugal, so why not walk the Caminho?).

I'll be arriving in PT with multiple large cases & am at a bit of a loss as to where to store them. Your business of storing luggage is an absolute godsend. Is it asking too much to have several (as in: all my worldly belongings) suitcases? Would be shipping from Portugal if I can figure it all out.
Hi there,

Feel free to send it to me and I will store it until you arrive. If it is "everything you own" I might consider shipping with a private shipper. If you search for "Mailboxes ETC" in google maps around your location in Portugal you should find an office (at least in Porto and Lisbon). They can help you prepare the shipment and also can give you shipping quotes with many different private shippers.

You can also ship with the Portuguese post office... the only problem is that if there is a problem with the shipment, customer service when you are in Spain... is close to zero. A private shipper has better customer service if there is an issue with the shipment.

Either way, you decide how you want to ship it... I will store what I receive.

More here:

Buen Camino!
Ivar

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello Ivar! Hopefully a simple question here. I noticed that you have posted pick-up/retrieval of items only until the end of September. Do you have Luggage storage into the month of October and if so, are the retrieval times and conditions the same? Thank you kindly. Victoria

Hello Ivar! Hopefully a simple question here. I noticed that you have posted pick-up/retrieval of items only until the end of September. Do you have Luggage storage into the month of October and if so, are the retrieval times and conditions the same? Thank you kindly. Victoria
Hi there,

I am open all year, the only difference would be pick-up times. Most likely weekdays between 10 and 12 in winter, but it has still not been decided (it may be more).

Buen Camino!
Ivar

Most read last week in this forum

Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Hey I’m looking at starting my Camino from Burgos in about 2-3 days. I’m wanting to use casa ivar storage. Has anyone used this service before? It sounds very good the webpage is just a little...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.