• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

May 14 and counting!

Scoutkiely

Hi all,

I was so happy to come across this forum and I can't wait to start my camino. I've gotten my backpack and equipment and I can't wait to start. I'm starting my camino from SJPDP on the 15th of May. Just a few things I wanted to ask those with the experience and helpful advice.

1) I booked the hostel for the night and I'm looking at 20 euro for the accommodation and food that first night. Is this too expensive or am I being to tight with my money? :? I have 950 euro to survive on for the 42 days,

2)I was wondering on the necessity of bringing a poncho/blanket/cushion(it's the one item) during May and June? Will a silk sheet do?

3) Can anyone recommend a good pair of lightweight shorts for me (I'm a tall, athletic female and as a result most shorts keep falling down my hips and flashing passing motorists with my unsightly ass! :shock: ).

4) Are there many places to buy postcards? I want to send one home from each stage along the camino.

5) Are bikini's appropriate wear? I normally avoid them(they are generally useless if you are swimming properly for exercise or sport, everything ends up al fresco! :oops: ) but they will double up as underwear. I was wondering if the natives would be offended by this type of clothing?

Any comments will be much appreciated, I'm walking alone and can't wait to meet anyone starting from SJPDP on the 15th!

Bien Camino!
:D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
1) Easier to be careful about money on the 2-41 night (950 sounds tight but doable as long as there isnt any emergencies and you dont drink or smoke)

2) i would, but hen i tend to get cold easily

3) i brought my running shorts i think they are solomon 110g

4) ?

5) wearing for what ?

I want to send postcards home to my parents so they can share the experience as well. I don't smoke or drink so I hope it is a manageable budget! Are bikinis okay to swim in while on the camino?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
on the camino frances there is not really that many places to swim...

last year i was bringing plain black bras and unmentionables i doubt many would have known the difference...

didn' go swimming tho...

Scoutkiely said:
I booked the hostel for the night and I'm looking at 20 euro for the accommodation and food that first night. Is this too expensive or am I being to tight with my money? :? I have 950 euro to survive on for the 42 days,
>
Without going beyond your first question, 950 Euros for 42 days brings my mathematics down to just over 22 Euros a day. I am at loss as to how you might manage to do this?
Such daily average for accommodation, food, beverages and "other" expenses (excluding transportation) entails spending less on some days to cover what is likely to be more on others. My wife and I have walked the Camino Francés on 4 occasions, and although we admittedly stayed in the odd hostel, an average of 40 Euros a day (per person) with 2 days' stay in Santiago resulted to be too tight!
Figure it out: 5 Euros for a bed, 3 Euros for a minimal breakfast, 6 Euros for drinks and a pick-nick, 8 Euros for a decent "menu del peregrino" or cooking in the albergue: that brings you to the mentioned 22 Euros.
Every single day for 42 days? No reserve for emergencies?
Where there is a will, there is a way, admittedly. Cutting things too fine will only lead to disappointments.

Re: Re: May 14 and counting!

I would like to start off by saying that I haven't made a Camino yet. However, I've done a fair bit of reading about this pilgrimage and have other hiking and world wide travel experience to offer here.

1) You may need a bit more money than you are planning on. I've read of real frugal hikers spending between 25-35 Euros a day. Others with actual experience can offer more here.

2) You are likely to encounter rain during some of your walking. A poncho large enough to cover both you and your pack should be adequate. Many pilgrims opt for the Altus poncho that is made for someone wearing a backpack. Most albergues have blankets but you cannot guarantee one will be available when you need it. I would take a sleeping bag and a silk sleeping bag liner. If it is cold you are covered with both. If its hot you can use just the liner.

3) The pilgrimage is not a fashion show runway. Many types of shorts have belt loops. Wearing a belt would help with that problem. However, you will be walking at the time of year where you will have cool mornings and evenings and some real hot afternoons. Many perigrinos and perigrinas use convertable pants with zip off legs. These pants easily go from long pants to shorts.

4) I would say you should be able to find postcards in the larger tourist towns such as Pamplona and Leon. Why not keep in touch with email and pictures? Email service is widely available but thete is a charge. If you have a smart phone you can do pictures and email on your device.

5) It seems to this male that a bikini may on occasion bring on unwanted attention and advances from some would be Romeos. As you will be in a communal, non-sex divided setting each night I would tend toward more modest choices. Sleep shorts and a t-shirt would fit that bill.
That said, Europeans tend toward less inhibited dress and customs than we in the U.S. are accustomed to seeing even from our T.V.

Tony

Sent using Tapatalk.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you for all your advice! My budget is so low as it is very difficult to save money when there are no jobs available. I have been doing odd jobs and giving lessons for the last few months . I may have about a 1000 euro but that would be it. I guess my hope is that the camino will provide! I am quite a strong walker so I hope to be covering 30 km most days, with more rest days to take pictures. I want to savour each landscape. I also hope to sleep outside for a few nights which will spare me the cost of an Albergue and make the experience more profound. I do have another 750 euro and health insurance. That 750 euro is for emergencies only. I do not expect the camino to be easy but I do not expect it to be too costly either. People did it for years exchanging helping hands for food, sharing meals with others etc.

I am a vegetarian and most of my food intake will be bought at local markets and in all due respect, I can feed myself extremely well for under 10 euro a day in Ireland, which is much more expensive than Spain. The 8 euro for a Peregrino meal will not be an expense I will have daily as I will do my own cooking or buy from local markets especially since it is so hard to cater for vegetarians. I also don't drink wine, which will save me lots of money by all accounts :lol:

Is there much of an opportunity to swim? If not I might just pack the normal underwear.

Tony, thank you very much for the suggestion of email and sending photographs, I thought my family would like postcards but when I said your suggestion to them, they loved it! They said it would mean a lot more to them than store bought cards. I thought they would need something bought IN Spain but when I think about it, what could be more meaningful than seeing the Camino through my eyes/lens? Thank you very much for suggesting this to me! :D

I am not bringing a mobile/ipod/kindle. I like the silence and coming from a big family, the idea of peace and quiet is heaven! I want to do this camino with a bag on my back and an open heart!

Scoutkiely said:
I'm starting my camino from SJPDP on the 15th of May.

Hi there.

I'm planning to start my camino from SJPDP on the 15th of May as well. How are you getting to SJPDP?

I intend to take the express train from Barcelona to Pamplona and maybe look for a shared taxi to SJPDP.

I'm still trying to plan my transport connections, but it's most likely 15th of May, or worst case scenario, 16th of May.

Bien Camino!

I'm leaving St. Jean on THE 14th with my father sister and best friend. We Will be stopping in refuge d'orisson, so I'll see you the 15th in Roncesvalles :).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Scoutkiely said:
Thank you for all your advice! My budget is so low as it is very difficult to save money when there are no jobs available. I have been doing odd jobs and giving lessons for the last few months . I may have about a 1000 euro but that would be it. I guess my hope is that the camino will provide! I am quite a strong walker so I hope to be covering 30 km most days, with more rest days to take pictures. I want to savour each landscape. I also hope to sleep outside for a few nights which will spare me the cost of an Albergue and make the experience more profound. I do have another 750 euro and health insurance. That 750 euro is for emergencies only. I do not expect the camino to be easy but I do not expect it to be too costly either. People did it for years exchanging helping hands for food, sharing meals with others etc.

You can get by on 20 euros a day, you dont even have to starve yourself or go without accommodation. Its just a matter of cutting your cloth accordingly, if you cannot afford cafe con leches 3 or 4 times a day then does it really matter. If you have to prepare your own meals as well, thats not a problem, some of the best meals I have had are pilgrim prepared and shared ones. There are different levels of financial means on the camino and always has been. Whatever yours is, it wont make it any less of one because of that.

Good luck to you and I hope you have a Very Good Camino.

Mike

Scoutkiely said:
Hi all,

I was so happy to come across this forum and I can't wait to start my camino. I've gotten my backpack and equipment and I can't wait to start. I'm starting my camino from SJPDP on the 15th of May. Just a few things I wanted to ask those with the experience and helpful advice.

1) I booked the hostel for the night and I'm looking at 20 euro for the accommodation and food that first night. Is this too expensive or am I being to tight with my money? :? I have 950 euro to survive on for the 42 days,

2)I was wondering on the necessity of bringing a poncho/blanket/cushion(it's the one item) during May and June? Will a silk sheet do?

3) Can anyone recommend a good pair of lightweight shorts for me (I'm a tall, athletic female and as a result most shorts keep falling down my hips and flashing passing motorists with my unsightly ass! :shock: ).

4) Are there many places to buy postcards? I want to send one home from each stage along the camino.

5) Are bikini's appropriate wear? I normally avoid them(they are generally useless if you are swimming properly for exercise or sport, everything ends up al fresco! :oops: ) but they will double up as underwear. I was wondering if the natives would be offended by this type of clothing?

Any comments will be much appreciated, I'm walking alone and can't wait to meet anyone starting from SJPDP on the 15th!

Bien Camino!
:D

1) I spent much, much less on my second Camino last year than on my first one in 2010 (average was about 15-20 euro per day). I was surprised actually, by how much I saved! I'd taken money out of the ATM at the major stops along the way on my first Camino, and last year I did the same thing except I kept being able to take out less because I still had money left from the last withdrawal. I cooked almost every meal myself or with friends (I only ate three pilgrim meals on the way across, like in Agés for example, where there was no kitchen to cook in). I also only stayed in a hotel once last year (in Cacabelos, totally worth it and I'll stay there next time too!), and I didn't take motorized transport. Your 950 euro will be enough if you're careful with it, and especially with the emergency money you have just in case, I think you'll have more than enough. Others have different opinions and experience, but if I had 950 euro I'd go without hesitation. I met and became friends with people who went with less. And yes, the Camino does provide. (Mm, and as for the first night in SJPP, my first Camino cost about 35 euro there; last year I stayed at the municipal albergue and cooked for myself and it cost about 20 euro.)

2) I haven't walked in May-June yet so I haven't experienced how hot it is then, but there were several nights during September that were hot and sweaty for sleeping. That said, I wouldn't go without my sleeping bag and silk liner (I have a light sleeping bag that's rated for indoor use). I cringe when I see pilgrims lying directly on the mattress at an albergue, or even with arms hanging out of a sleeping bag. As far as I'm concerned, that's asking to be bitten by insects (bedbugs or otherwise). Not sure exactly what you meant by poncho, if it's for rain, I wouldn't be without my Altus. I wouldn't think you'd need your own blanket/cushion. You could go without, see how you do for the first few days, and buy one at El Corte Ingles in Pamplona a few days after SJPP if you're really missing it.

3) Can't help you there, good luck! A belt can be helpful though... a woman I met on my first Camino bought one in Pamplona as her trousers were already looser around her waist by the time we'd walked there from SJPP, and she still has it and uses it.

4) There are lots of places to buy postcards. The bigger towns and cities, of course, and also some albergues sell them. For me, stamps were the trickier thing to get hold of. Yes, most every town has a post office but for some reason I just never got there! I bought postcards in Frómista last year and ended up carrying them all the way to Santiago before I finally wrote and mailed them! I noticed in your introduction post you asked if it's easy to keep in touch on the Camino, and it is. E-mail is possible pretty much all the way along. That said, my mum keeps the postcards I sent her from Spain on her mantel and it's a lovely memory for me whenever I see them.

5) I haven't really seen people on the Camino in bikinis or swimsuits, but both my walks have been in September-October. As far as places to swim, a group of friends stayed an extra day in Portomarin and swam there (the women wore their underwear to swim in, t-shirt over top optional). And many of the people I saw swimming in Fisterra went into the water naked, but that's a tradition for the end of the Camino! (a few of the women had swimsuits though)

Hope all that helps! From what you've written, you have a great attitude towards the adventure you're walking into. Keep your heart open and be amazed at the beauty of it all.

Buen Camino!

Rachel

endlesstrail said:
Scoutkiely said:
I'm starting my camino from SJPDP on the 15th of May.

Hi there.

I'm planning to start my camino from SJPDP on the 15th of May as well. How are you getting to SJPDP?

I intend to take the express train from Barcelona to Pamplona and maybe look for a shared taxi to SJPDP.

I'm still trying to plan my transport connections, but it's most likely 15th of May, or worst case scenario, 16th of May.

Bien Camino!

I've been very lucky with transport as it is I'm flying into Biarittz so unfortunately I can't help you out, although you could post a thread on the forum? I'm sorry we couldn't share the journey together but I do hope to meet you in SJPDP or along the way and if not, Bien Camino!

Dee

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
mikevasey said:
You can get by on 20 euros a day, you dont even have to starve yourself or go without accommodation. Its just a matter of cutting your cloth accordingly, if you cannot afford cafe con leches 3 or 4 times a day then does it really matter. If you have to prepare your own meals as well, thats not a problem, some of the best meals I have had are pilgrim prepared and shared ones. There are different levels of financial means on the camino and always has been. Whatever yours is, it wont make it any less of one because of that.

Mike

Thank you for taking to time to reply Mike! I am actually getting so excited about setting off, in 5 weeks, I shall be walking from SJPDP to Roncesvalles! Hard to believe! I had hoped my budget wouldn't hold me off, but I am a country girl and if we are anything, we are practical! :lol: I really thank you for your positive words, it made me feel better!

Dee

Camino2010 said:
1) I spent much, much less on my second Camino last year than on my first one in 2010 (average was about 15-20 euro per day). I was surprised actually, by how much I saved! I'd taken money out of the ATM at the major stops along the way on my first Camino, and last year I did the same thing except I kept being able to take out less because I still had money left from the last withdrawal. I cooked almost every meal myself or with friends (I only ate three pilgrim meals on the way across, like in Agés for example, where there was no kitchen to cook in). I also only stayed in a hotel once last year (in Cacabelos, totally worth it and I'll stay there next time too!), and I didn't take motorized transport. Your 950 euro will be enough if you're careful with it, and especially with the emergency money you have just in case, I think you'll have more than enough. Others have different opinions and experience, but if I had 950 euro I'd go without hesitation. I met and became friends with people who went with less. And yes, the Camino does provide. (Mm, and as for the first night in SJPP, my first Camino cost about 35 euro there; last year I stayed at the municipal albergue and cooked for myself and it cost about 20 euro.)

2) I haven't walked in May-June yet so I haven't experienced how hot it is then, but there were several nights during September that were hot and sweaty for sleeping. That said, I wouldn't go without my sleeping bag and silk liner (I have a light sleeping bag that's rated for indoor use). I cringe when I see pilgrims lying directly on the mattress at an albergue, or even with arms hanging out of a sleeping bag. As far as I'm concerned, that's asking to be bitten by insects (bedbugs or otherwise). Not sure exactly what you meant by poncho, if it's for rain, I wouldn't be without my Altus. I wouldn't think you'd need your own blanket/cushion. You could go without, see how you do for the first few days, and buy one at El Corte Ingles in Pamplona a few days after SJPP if you're really missing it.

3) Can't help you there, good luck! A belt can be helpful though... a woman I met on my first Camino bought one in Pamplona as her trousers were already looser around her waist by the time we'd walked there from SJPP, and she still has it and uses it.

4) There are lots of places to buy postcards. The bigger towns and cities, of course, and also some albergues sell them. For me, stamps were the trickier thing to get hold of. Yes, most every town has a post office but for some reason I just never got there! I bought postcards in Frómista last year and ended up carrying them all the way to Santiago before I finally wrote and mailed them! I noticed in your introduction post you asked if it's easy to keep in touch on the Camino, and it is. E-mail is possible pretty much all the way along. That said, my mum keeps the postcards I sent her from Spain on her mantel and it's a lovely memory for me whenever I see them.

5) I haven't really seen people on the Camino in bikinis or swimsuits, but both my walks have been in September-October. As far as places to swim, a group of friends stayed an extra day in Portomarin and swam there (the women wore their underwear to swim in, t-shirt over top optional). And many of the people I saw swimming in Fisterra went into the water naked, but that's a tradition for the end of the Camino! (a few of the women had swimsuits though)

Hope all that helps! From what you've written, you have a great attitude towards the adventure you're walking into. Keep your heart open and be amazed at the beauty of it all.

Buen Camino!

Rachel

Thank you for all your advice and kind words Rachel! This has really helped! €35 the first night?! Are all places as expensive as SJPDP, or are the nights of €5 beds a thing of the past? The poncho/sleeping bag/seat is a three in one contraption I got in a shop. Very good at all three jobs, I must say! I'm really happy to hear about your experience on the camino, thanks for replying!

Dee

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi, Dee

I re-checked my math. I stayed at L'Esprit du Chemin in 2010 including dinner and breakfast added in so it was more like 23 euro. Sorry, I just had "expensive" in my head because I'd taken a van service to get from Pamplona to SJPP for 35 euro, then had the cost of being in SJPP overnight, and the next night I stayed in Orisson which cost about 40 euro! It was quite a lot up front. But last year I spent less staying in the municipal albergue in SJPP, walked from SJPP to Roncesvalles in one day (and I'd taken the new bus service from Pamplona to SJPP for 15 euro).

Not every place costs as much as SJPP. There were many places I stayed that were 5 euro. There were also places that cost more like 8-12 euro. I found it was more like 10 euro a night closer to Santiago but it depends on where you stay. Sometimes I paid a bit more to be able to stay at a place that had a kitchen to cook in -- once you get past Acebo or so, quite a few of the municipal or Xunta albergues don't have a kitchen (or if they do, there are next to no pots or pans, dishes or utensils). And at the donativo albergues where dinner was included, I paid a bit more to help cover the cost.

But no worries, you'll figure it out. The poncho/sleeping bag/cushion sounds interesting!

Rachel

P.S. Part of my adventure was keeping straight the exchange rate between euros and Canadian dollars! To a certain extent, I found out the hard way in 2010 that whatever the cost was in euros, it would come out to be about a third more in my currency. If you're used to using euros, I'd guess that won't be an issue for you ;).

Scoutkiely said:
I've been very lucky with transport as it is I'm flying into Biarittz so unfortunately I can't help you out

No worries. I found out that there's a transport option called "Express Burricot" which bring me directly from Pamplona to SJPdP. I'm quite on track to starting on the 15th May. Now I just need to decide if I want to make it a nice and easy start by stopping in Orisson, or make the push straight to Roncesvalles in one day. :p

Decision decisions... :?:

Bien Camino,
Kenny

Scoutkiely said:
Camino2010 said:

Buen Camino!

Rachel

Thank you for all your advice and kind words Rachel! This has really helped! €35 the first night?! Are all places as expensive as SJPDP, or are the nights of €5 beds a thing of the past? The poncho/sleeping bag/seat is a three in one contraption I got in a shop. Very good at all three jobs, I must say! I'm really happy to hear about your experience on the camino, thanks for replying!

Dee

I've been on The Frances à few times and 5eu albergues are the exception. Keep in mind that it will be between 8 and 12 euro's. Most of them are 10. I was on the Via de la Plata in 2011 and was surprised by the 5 eu albergues.

On the other side. I met a lot!!! Of pilgrims on a budget. I bet you can a list in St.jean OR on the internet with prices of the albergues.

Grtzzz

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Couple of notes on your questions:

1) 20 Euro for albergue and dinner is not unreasonable, but if you are on a budget, that is your upper limit. Hopefully it includes breakfast in the AM, right?

2) A raincoat Poncho is a necessity, not an option. A silk sheet is a good idea because it can be used in many practical ways and it lightweight.

3) If you are going to wear shorts might as well try spandex/biking shorts with the longer T-shirt for comfort. Any other type of short only if cargo type. Shorts are really not the best idea for this type hiking. This is really not a leisure hike.

4) Postcards are readily available in all medium and larger cities. Buy a bunch and mail as you go and mail one/day a week to avoid the stop/go looking for a post office.

5) Bikinis are appropriate wear at the beach or at the pool. The Camino originated as a religious pilgrimage and, as such, it is peppered with many churches, ermitas, santuaries, places of religious meditation and devotion. These places come unexpectedly sometimes. There is, typically, a dress code for these places whether you subscribe to those beliefs or not. Yes, natives and non-natives may be deeply offended if you do not respect the dress code. I suggest you be ready to cover with a T-shirt/pants if you decide to go into any such places along the Camino. Swimwear is a great idea to bring, just be wise about it.

Have a great time, remember good foot care is crucial. I walked the Camino last year. This year I will be starting in Pamplona on 17 May! maybe I'll get to meet you!

Buen Camino!

Camino2010 said:
Rachel

P.S. Part of my adventure was keeping straight the exchange rate between euros and Canadian dollars! To a certain extent, I found out the hard way in 2010 that whatever the cost was in euros, it would come out to be about a third more in my currency. If you're used to using euros, I'd guess that won't be an issue for you ;).

I'd hope not, although my math skills leave much to be desired! :lol:

P.S. This is my new account, I've tried many times to remember my old password and even trying to sign in via the "I forgot my password" didn't work. Numerous times. However, I set up Camino2012 and have the password stored away! :)

endlesstrail said:
No worries. I found out that there's a transport option called "Express Burricot" which bring me directly from Pamplona to SJPdP. I'm quite on track to starting on the 15th May. Now I just need to decide if I want to make it a nice and easy start by stopping in Orisson, or make the push straight to Roncesvalles in one day. :p

Decision decisions... :?:

Bien Camino,
Kenny

Hi Kenny :D

Really glad to hear you got everything worked out and you are on schedule! Have you many days to do the camino? I was thinking about that myself this weekend. I was hoping to squeeze Finisterre in if I had time! So, I think I might make the push the first day...although my knees may disagree with me! :wink: It's a pity Orisson requires a booking but I'll leave it to chance and see how that goes!

Buen Camino,
Dee

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Marcel234 said:
I've been on The Frances à few times and 5eu albergues are the exception. Keep in mind that it will be between 8 and 12 euro's. Most of them are 10. I was on the Via de la Plata in 2011 and was surprised by the 5 eu albergues.

On the other side. I met a lot!!! Of pilgrims on a budget. I bet you can a list in St.jean OR on the internet with prices of the albergues.

Grtzzz

That's still easily manageable though :) I was going by Brierley's guide and did a bit of research into the recommended albergues, marked a few super ones! You can take the student out of college.... :lol:

Olivares said:
Couple of notes on your questions:

1) 20 Euro for albergue and dinner is not unreasonable, but if you are on a budget, that is your upper limit. Hopefully it includes breakfast in the AM, right?

It sure does! I was hoping to get it in the next town if it wasn't too far away, however, if it is a long walk, I'll probably buy food the night before as I'd like an early start and breakfast al fresco is so tempting!

Olivares said:
2) A raincoat Poncho is a necessity, not an option. A silk sheet is a good idea because it can be used in many practical ways and it lightweight.
I got one of those sleeping bag liners in the end in my local mountain shop, they didn't have any silk liners although this one is really light and should do the job!

Olivares said:
3) If you are going to wear shorts might as well try spandex/biking shorts with the longer T-shirt for comfort. Any other type of short only if cargo type. Shorts are really not the best idea for this type hiking. This is really not a leisure hike.

Also bought a great pair of zip of pants! I really would not be a spanx girl! I'd be too self conscious and be pulling my t-shirt down! It'd be down to my knees before I left SJPDP! :lol:

Olivares said:
4) Postcards are readily available in all medium and larger cities. Buy a bunch and mail as you go and mail one/day a week to avoid the stop/go looking for a post office.

Very good idea! Thank you!

Olivares said:
5) Bikinis are appropriate wear at the beach or at the pool. The Camino originated as a religious pilgrimage and, as such, it is peppered with many churches, ermitas, santuaries, places of religious meditation and devotion. These places come unexpectedly sometimes. There is, typically, a dress code for these places whether you subscribe to those beliefs or not. Yes, natives and non-natives may be deeply offended if you do not respect the dress code. I suggest you be ready to cover with a T-shirt/pants if you decide to go into any such places along the Camino. Swimwear is a great idea to bring, just be wise about it.

Thank you! After much consideration I decided to stick to underwear, if I get the chance to swim I'll just leave a t-shirt on (the fast drying ones ;) ) Have you packed a "good set" of clothes for town or attending mass?

Olivares said:
Have a great time, remember good foot care is crucial. I walked the Camino last year. This year I will be starting in Pamplona on 17 May! maybe I'll get to meet you!

Buen Camino!

I really hope our paths cross! Thanks for all your advice!

Buen Camino,

Dee

Scoutkiely said:
mikevasey wrote:

Mike

Thank you for taking to time to reply Mike! I am actually getting so excited about setting off, in 5 weeks, I shall be walking from SJPDP to Roncesvalles! Hard to believe! I had hoped my budget wouldn't hold me off, but I am a country girl and if we are anything, we are practical! I really thank you for your positive words, it made me feel better!

Dee

De Nada! :D

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
HI there,
I am also arriving in SJPP on 14 May & heading off on 15th. Sooo can't wait!
Am vegan, fairly fit & planning on walking approx 30k a day but also taking in the scenery & appreciating my surroundings, stopping off where / when I feel like it. Hope to get to Finisterra at the end too.
Have given myself a 6-week timescale.
Yet to book accommodation for the first night.
Have you got your passport yet?
I have set up a Blog and would be great to keep in contact / compare preparation notes etc!

Fiona :)

http://onestepfurtherfm.wordpress.com/

Hi Fiona!

I'm really glad to find a pilgrim starting the same day as me!
fionamcc said:
Am vegan, fairly fit & planning on walking approx 30k a day but also taking in the scenery & appreciating my surroundings, stopping off where / when I feel like it. Hope to get to Finisterra at the end too.
Have given myself a 6-week timescale.
Yet to book accommodation for the first night.
Have you got your passport yet?
I have set up a Blog and would be great to keep in contact / compare preparation notes etc!

Fiona :)

http://onestepfurtherfm.wordpress.com/

I intend to pick my credential up in SJPDP, I did click on the link below to get a credential and e-mailed them over 5 weeks ago, they e-mailed me two dayslater to say it had been posted and nada, so it's to the piligrim's office I go, heigh ho, heigh ho ;) What about you? Did you get yours?

Wow, 30 km a day is fairly good going! I'm aiming for about 25km a day with a few scattered days of 30 km. I also have 6 weeks, I fly home the 25th. I think spreading out the km for me will give me a better chance of appreciating the sights. I checked out your blog, I'll make my bean burgers (completely vegan friendly!) if you make some of that sumptuous chocolate cake! I really can't wait to meet you! :)

Dee

So yesterday, Sue posted about food, glorious food! With some great information about market days and the like. Sue, you said you did most of your cooking, did you have to bring your own pots and pans are were the albergues accommodating in the use of their equipment, will I need to rethink my packing list?

I'd love to share and pick up recipes as I go along, and if other pilgrims aren't too worried about food poisoning, I'd love to share my cooking! :lol:

Buen Camino!
Dee

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back