• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

MAY 17, 2016 Leapfrogging/Ultrapassar/Saltars The Camino Português Routes...

RumAndChupacabras

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Jul-Sept 2019: Six weeks in Northern Spain.
Apr 2018 Asturias
May 2016 CP: Portuguese
Hi All!
I/we will be leaving for our Camino in mid-May through mid June. Our actual boots on the ground Camino time will be 21 days (4 days of travel time there and back). We HOPE to stick as close to the coastline as much as is possible. However, since there are so many routes and variation options from Lisbon (mainly Porto) to SDC, I am really interested in seeing how you chose to leapfrog between the routes (if you did).

Please share with me links to your photo albums of the Coastal Route (not all media in the albums area of this site have routes their routes listed). I'm also interested in your comments and suggestions.

Thank you in advance. I think I'm just overwhelmed with options and...

cant brain i have_the_dumb.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi All!
I/we will be leaving for our Camino in mid-May through mid June. Our actual boots on the ground Camino time will be 21 days (4 days of travel time there and back). We HOPE to stick as close to the coastline as much as is possible. However, since there are so many routes and variation options from Lisbon (mainly Porto) to SDC, I am really interested in seeing how you chose to leapfrog between the routes (if you did).

Please share with me links to your photo albums of the Coastal Route (not all media in the albums area of this site have routes their routes listed). I'm also interested in your comments and suggestions.

Thank you in advance. I think I'm just overwhelmed with options and...

View attachment 24840
On the coastal are not many alternatives if you want to be as close to the coast as possible.
From Baiona to Vigo you can choose to follow the green waymarkers along the coastline or the yellow ones more up in the hills . Imho that's all.

@Albertinho, did you do any leapfrogging from one route to another in order to see certain sites or have a variety of landscape?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes coincidentally the last few days I had a personal conversion with another pilgrim here about this matter.
My wife and I walked the central route-the common route most of the pilgrims walk from Porto to Santiago via Barcelos, Ponte de Lima and Valença do Minho /Tui to Santiago.
We walked as far as privat albergue casa Fernanda, 18 kms beyond Barcelos because we are close friends of Fernanda and her husband Jacinto. Casa Fernanda is the best place to stay at the entire caminho Portugues , anyway from Porto.
From there we "leaped "to Viana do Castelo at the coastal and walked from there to Santiago, following the coastline as far as Redondela where you hit the central caminho again.
For your information -we followed the green waymarkers from about Baiona-Nigrán along the waterline instead of the yellow ones into the hills to Vigo.
Look at a map to see where all these places are situated and you'll see what is all about.

You could look in my blog archives, for my experiences of both the interior and the coastal. They are both great walks.

"ensuitepilgrimblog.wordpress.com"

You could look in my blog archives, for my experiences of both the interior and the coastal. They are both great walks.

"ensuitepilgrimblog.wordpress.com"[/QUOTE

I looked at your impressive blog but maybe you can give us a clue or a link in which month you walked the "interior" route. I doubt if you walked the Interior Portuguese route because this runs from nearby Coimbra at the east side of Portugal to Viseu and Lamego and hits the Via. De la Plata in Ourense. See the subforums here on the Portuguese forum to notice the difference !
I think you walked the central route from Lisbon or Porto via Barcelos and Valença do Minho/Tui. Am I right. ? Lots of people mix up two completely different caminos, the central and internal.
But I am currious where you made the leap to the coastal.

Bom caminho

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
...Casa Fernanda is the best place to stay at the entire caminho Portugues , anyway from Porto. From there we "leaped "to Viana do Castelo at the coastal and walked from there to Santiago, following the coastline as far as Redondela where you hit the central caminho again. For your information -we followed the green waymarkers from about Baiona-Nigrán along the waterline instead of the yellow ones into the hills to Vigo...

Thank you for this reply, Albertinho! This is precisely the kind of information which I am looking for. The Green waymarkers comment is especially appreciated!

By the way, I hope to be able to find Casa Fernanda :)

Last edited:
You could look in my blog archives, for my experiences of both the interior and the coastal...
Wow, that is quite a blog! Since the archives are simply dated, would you be so kind as to post a few links of your experience on the coastal route here???

@Albertinho , have you walked the Variante Espiritual?

I was thinking of walking Oporto to Santiago and them Fisterra and Muxia but I think that instead I will focus on Portugal this time around.

@RumAndChupacabras , I plan on the following:

Oporto to Vila do Conde via Matosinhos.
Then cut back in land to Rates and keep walking north to stay at Casa Fernanda. (Booked already!)
From there up to Valenca/Tui to then make it back to the Coast in Caminha.
Follow the coast, and get to Pontevedra.
Pontevedra taking the Variante Espiritual.
Hook back up the regular route in Padron.

If someone has the list of albergues, with distances inbetween them on the Variante I would be most grateful.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Albertinho , have you walked the Variante Espiritual?

I was thinking of walking Oporto to Santiago and them Fisterra and Muxia but I think that instead I will focus on Portugal this time around.

@RumAndChupacabras , I plan on the following:

Oporto to Vila do Conde via Matosinhos.
Then cut back in land to Rates and keep walking north to stay at Casa Fernanda. (Booked already!)
From there up to Valenca/Tui to then make it back to the Coast in Caminha.
Follow the coast, and get to Pontevedra.
Pontevedra taking the Variante Espiritual.
Hook back up the regular route in Padron.

If someone has the list of albergues, with distances inbetween them on the Variante I would be most grateful.
Yes we walked the Variante Espiritual in 3 stages. Pontevedra to Combarro, Combarro to the end of the ruta de Pedra e Augas in Barrantes . Barrantes to Vila Nova de Arousa was a lift by car from the lady of the hostal os Castanhos in Barrantes due to the early sailing of the boat to Padrón . The sailing of the boat is dependent on the tide of the sea. Stage 1 about 16 kms. Stage 2 About 16 kms -lots of climbing ! Stage from Barrantes to Vila Nova de Arousa 12 kms. The boatstage is 28 kms ..a bumpy and fast ride in a fast boat. About one hour to Pontecessures and then a 3 km walk to Padrón.

Thank you for this reply, Albertinho! This is precisely the kind of information which I am looking for. The Green waymarkers comment is especially appreciated!

By the way, I hope to be able to find Casa Fernanda :)
Casa Fernanda is on the caminho. You can't miss it
Once walking from Barcelos after about 15 kms you pass the village of Balugaês. After the village you cross a busy road with at the corner a busstop. The caminho follows a rural road and after about 3 kms at a crossing at the left side is a white house with a round extention at the frontside-the kitchen- that is Fernanda's. At the beginning of the gardenpath is a sign "Lugar do Corgo"
You only could get lost on the gardenpath :)
Do not forget to call Fernanda to reserve your bed.

The green markers appear after you have rounded the bay, a beautifull walk from Baiona to Nigrán. As soon as you cross the Nigrán bridge moreless straight on you will follow the yellow waymarkers to the albergue but if you turn left over the bridge the green markers are there and lead you to a beautifull walk along the waterside.you even can walk on the beach if you like or follow the boardwalk.
Entering Vigo is a bit confusing. There are the yellow waymarkers again but they lead to the higher part of town. We followed just the center to find a hotel. There are plenty in all price catagories. We found a nice one,hotel Lino. Very modern and clean 2 star hotel.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Caminho Coastal, correct? This is the area, yes?View attachment 24879
Yes that is right. When you enlarge your picture you see a road to Poiares that turns to the right. Moreless that is the road that crosses the N214 between Balugaês and Ponte de Lima I will try to find it on Google maps and come back to this thread

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
image.jpeg
Yes that is right. When you enlarge your picture you see a road to Poiares that turns to the right. Moreless that is the road that crosses the N204 between Balugaês and Ponte de Lima I will try to find it on Google maps and come back to this thread
I took a picture of my Ipad with my iphone. At the bottom you see the mainroad from Viana do Castelo to Braga from left to right It crosses the N214 from bottom Barcelos to top Ponte de Lima. When you enlarge the picture a bit about half way you see the name Cambado . Here about crosses the caminho the N214 and when you look well you see moreless parallel along the N214 upwards (northwards) a smalll road. Thats your caminho again.
Fernanda is at the red dot. Where the name Outeiro stands. She lives in the Rua de Outeira , the Outeira street. You can't miss it.
Bom caminho

Ps although walking along the N214 is shorter I should advice to follow the yellow waymarkers. Walking alongside the N214 is dangerous. Portuguese drivers drive very fast.

Last edited:
Only as I read now. No. it is not the coastal. It is the central route. The coastal follows the coastline. At the bottom left of your picture you see Esposende. That is one of the coastal towns on the coastal caminho. Heading northwards (to the top of the picture) and just not on the picture is Viana do Castelo the next stop on the coastal caminho

I advise everybody to look at a map. It gives an idea where we talk about.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
"Plan"=HaHa! Our travel to Camino is very cheap/inexpensive, but ridiculous: Las Vegas, NV USA to Stockholm with a 6 hour layover, then onto Madrid with a 6 hour layover, then on to Lisbon to our first Hostel. After the flying and recovery time we've allowed ourselves, our boots on the ground time is 21 days.
Here's the basic idea, from Lisbon to Porto: Visit Fatima, Coimbra and as many relic, reliquaries as is possible by transportation of some type, due to time constraint. Once we're in Porto our true Caminho begins.

"Plan"=HaHa! Our travel to Camino is very cheap/inexpensive, but ridiculous: Las Vegas, NV USA to Stockholm with a 6 hour layover, then onto Madrid with a 6 hour layover, then on to Lisbon to our first Hostel. After the flying and recovery time we've allowed ourselves, our boots on the ground time is 21 days.
Here's the basic idea, from Lisbon to Porto: Visit Fatima, Coimbra and as many relic, reliquaries as is possible by transportation of some type, due to time constraint. Once we're in Porto our true Caminho begins.
Hyperventilation starts reading your trip from
Vegas to Porto:cool: but are you intending to walk the coastal or the central route ?
Because you asked for casa Fernanda I assume you will walk the central route . Right ?

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Albertinho, We have no specific plan apart from preferring to stay close to the coast but not limited to that route. There is the probability of starting on a coastal route then moving to the Central. For example, if I/we are reading the map correctly, it is about 14-15km from Chafe' to Casa Fernanda. From Casa Fernanda we would most likely walk to Ponte de Lima and continue up to Tui.

This is why I started this thread. I wanted to hear about Peregrinhos which may have jumped/leapfrogged from one route to another. :)

@Albertinho, We have no specific plan apart from preferring to stay close to the coast but not limited to that route. There is the probability of starting on a coastal route then moving to the Central. For example, if I/we are reading the map correctly, it is about 14-15km from Chafe' to Casa Fernanda. From Casa Fernanda we would most likely walk to Ponte de Lima and continue up to Tui.

This is why I started this thread. I wanted to hear about Peregrinhos which may have jumped/leapfrogged from one route to another. :)
From Chafé is possible but it is quite a nasty 18 kms walk .
The road from Viana do Castelo to Barrosellas and Balugaēs , the N405 is not pleasant to walk. Lots of fast driving cars and trucks and walking on the hardshoulder.
Better is to walk your day from Esposende to Viana de Castelo and take the train to Barrosellos or the bus to Balugaēs and walk from there to Fernanda. Much safer .

From Fernanda indeed you follow the waymarkers to Ponte de Lima , Rubiaēs and Valença do Minho /Tui. Between Valença do Minho and Tui is one hour time difference. Valença has GMT time and Tui GMT +1

We leapfrogged the other way around ,. From Fernanda to Viana de Castelo and continued to walk the coastal direction Redondela in Spain .
Instead of taking train or bus we got a lift by car to Viana.but that's a different story.

From Chafé is possible but it is quite a nasty 18 kms walk . The road from Viana do Castelo to Barrosellas and Balugaēs , the N405 is not pleasant to walk. Lots of fast driving cars and trucks and walking on the hardshoulder. Better is to walk your day from Esposende to Viana de Castelo and take the train to Barrosellos or the bus to Balugaēs and walk from there to Fernanda. Much safer...
Albertinho, thank you SO much for these insights. This is valuable information you are passing on to me, which I am thankful to be learning here and now as opposed to by experiencing it! Blessings to you and yours :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back