• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

May 2018 Camino - Camino del Salvador or something completely different?

Purky

The Dutch guy
Time of past OR future Camino
Reality is frequently inaccurate
Plan of action: May 14th I fly into Santiago (landing 18:15h), and the 21st I'm flying home again (take-off 12:40h). I also booked a room for the 20th in SdC (check-in before midnight, cancellation still optional). My initial idea was to walk the Camino del Salvador in 5 stages, and it still is. But it's going to be tight, what with all the transportation to Leon and from Oviedo and all that. Probably doable, but tight, and I don't really want to feel rushed.
So, I'm looking for a plan B in case of public transportation strike, possible different Pentecost sunday timetables, Blablacar coming up short or other unimaginable disasters I haven't yet foreseen. After all, Murphy is a force not to be trifled with.
One plan B might be Santiago-Muxia-Finisterre, but it occurred to me that there might be other/better options out there that I don't yet know about. Maybe some of you on this forum have a much nicer alternative. Or have a novel way to ensure me walking the Salvador within my timeframe.
Any interesting ideas?

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm alright with 30+ days. I still have to research the Muxia & Finisterre camino's, but have read that ending in Finisterre is preferable, because of better bus options back to SdC.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You just tell Murphy you will not be reckoned with. The Salvador is stunning - and possibly the most varied few days of any i’ve done.
Check out Transport options from Oviedo for the day you fly - that might buy you time.

Hi @Purky, the Santiago, Muxia, Fisterra route is do-able in your time frame for sure: but its also a great route in its own right so please don't think of it as a second-best option. There are delights to be found along every metre of that trail so take it slow and enjoy.

I spent half-an-hour trying to compute the logistics for you to walk the Salvador within your time-frame: save it for another day or switch your flight to Oviedo, get the train to Leon & walk back.

Buen (whichever) camino

I spent half-an-hour trying to compute the logistics for you to walk the Salvador within your time-frame: save it for another day

I'm not giving up yet! The thing is, I might just get lucky with a rideshare that fits beautifully in my time-frame, but I won't know that until a day or two before. Plan B is for when everything goes belly up. Also worth considering is a 4 day Salvador...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oh, Purky, I am shuddering at the thought but maybe you have seven league boots... it is all beautiful. And others have done it 4 days.

Oh, Purky, I am shuddering at the thought but maybe you have seven league boots... it is all beautiful. And others have done it 4 days.

Not exactly seven-league boots, but I have a decent pace and like long walking days. But the thing that just might save the day is that I am really, really stubborn...

How about Camino Ingles? You get a bus from Santiago to Ferrol or Coruna early in the morning of the 15th and and 45 min later you start walking and you walk straight into Santiago, saves you traveltime.
Buen Camino to you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, Purky,
Just a few comments. You could make the Finisterre route longer by walking the Camino dos Faros. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...tal-route-between-muxia-and-finisterre.45251/

Or you could walk the inglés without being rushed.

Or you could stick with the Salvador -- you could have four full and two half days walking, which seems highly do-able. The day you arrive in Leon, just walk to Carbajillas (that's not the right name, but you can find the place I mean easily in Ender's guide). And your last day, you could walk Mieres to Oviedo (19? 16?) and surely have enough time to get to Santiago on the 20th. Alsa has a 5 pm bus from Aviles to Santiago, which gets to Santiago around 9:45 pm. And to get to Aviles from Oviedo, there is a steady stream of buses, it is about a half hour trip, I think. I have walked the Salvador several times, and though I have enjoyed slower paces, I walked it twice in four days and did not feel rushed.

Good luck with the decision. Buen camino, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The walk from SdC to Finisterre is wonderful so you could certainly do that and Muxia. However, you may need to be certain that 30kms plus a day are OK for you.
It is lovely this Camino and ending in Muxia is great. There is a bus back to Santiago early am. Not sure about buses later in day.

Thanks all for your advice! Last night me and Rome2rio figured out a workable schedule getting to and from start and finish of the Salvador, using my second day in Spain to get to Leon and walk the first 17 km to Cabanillas. Laurie had the same idea; great minds think alike!
I am pretty confident it will work out and I'll save Santiago-Muxia-Finisterre for another day, and do it justice.

Salvador is the most beautiful of the Caminos I've done. Check Ender's guide in the resources section, for day planning details. I posted recently about my Salvador if any help to you. Difficult for me to find now on my mobile. I preferred it to Finisterre and Ingles, but that maybe b/c I'm not a massive fan of Galicia!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks all for your advice! Last night me and Rome2rio figured out a workable schedule getting to and from start and finish of the Salvador, using my second day in Spain to get to Leon and walk the first 17 km to Cabanillas. Laurie had the same idea; great minds think alike!
I am pretty confident it will work out and I'll save Santiago-Muxia-Finisterre for another day, and do it justice.
And if you are feeling frisky on day 1, you could just continue on to La Robla, and then you will be sitting pretty!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.