• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

May 29 start date (Lourdes)

emilyfoubert

Time of past OR future Camino
Piedmont, Argońes, francés (planned, first one)
Hi all! Very excited to start my first camino from Lourdes, along the piedmont. Then I’ll turn south toward argones. Then onto the main Frances. Has anyone ever done this route? Any advice for the first week before getting into Somport?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I did my second Camino in 2015 from Lourdes, to SJPdP, then onto SdC. I plan to do my next, in the Fall, from Lourdes through the Somport Pass, onto Puenta De la Reina, etc.

My second, from Lourdes, was very quiet. I also started in May. There were VERY few pilgrims - I usually had entire albergues to myself. Some of the locals were a bit, shall I say, quirky? I traveled solo. It was a great adventure, very different from the Frances. I am glad it wasn't my first Camino and that my first was the Frances (also solo) because I had a better idea of what to expect, how to arrange my time, my efforts, etc.

I know that doesn't make sense.

Anyway, my experience was that I was much more on my own if problems arose - when problems arose - because there simply weren't as many pilgrims along that route and there weren't as many services. It was challenging but quite doable. Just be prepared. The route was more rustic in many places and I depended often on my common sense and ability to read maps in French (YIKES!) rather than on signs and symbols. Be on your toes. I'm sure much has changed since 2015 and the route has become more pilgrim friendly - most of the people couldn't have been nicer!!

I'm very excited for you!! Buen Camino!!

Hi all! Very excited to start my first camino from Lourdes, along the piedmont. Then I’ll turn south toward argones. Then onto the main Frances. Has anyone ever done this route? Any advice for the first week before getting into Somport?
We did this route in Fall 2018. Beautiful terrain and hilly-walkable. Two pieces of advice : 1) book accommodations 3-4 days ahead because they can be hard to find. 2) check the weather forecast to clear Somport pass. Snow or rain will make it miserable.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you are looking for a place to stay, here is an albergue that is donotivo. There also is an office in Lourdes dedicated to walkers to Santiago, definitely stop by there. Info via attached photos.

Good luck.

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_20170912_075145053.jpg
    IMG_20170912_075145053.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20170914_083914043.jpg
    IMG_20170914_083914043.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.