• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

May 29th, Ivar walks the Camino. Want to come along?

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
On 12 Oct 2004 10:47 am I signed up as member number one of this forum and has since learned a lot about the camino from all you veterans out there. One thing that I mentioned in my first post was the fact that I have actually never walked the camino.

I think it is time that this changes, so on May 29th I am going to walk the camino from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela.

This as one of the activities I am doing with the Camino Travel Center this year, and I would like to invite anyone that would like to join me. I organize everything (except the flight to Santiago), transport to Sarria and lodging, breakfast, lunch and dinner, on every stage until Santiago. I will show you Santiago de Compostela and afterward we will go out and eat at the popular "O Dezaseis" restaurant.

You can find more information on the Sarria to Santiago walk here.

Saludos,
Ivar

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Buen camino Ivar!
I hope you don't think I'm being mean but I hope you don't get toooo.... many people walking with you.
Large groups often take up the whole width of a path, take all the chairs at a pavement cafe-bar, they talk loudly and take all the beds in an albergue forcing the sole pilgrim to walk further to the next albergue.
You'll enjoy the experience much more if there are just a few of you.
Buen suerte,

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
sillydoll said:
take all the beds in an albergue forcing the sole pilgrim to walk further to the next albergue.
You'll enjoy the experience much more if there are just a few of you.
Thank you Sil!

Let's see how many we will be. We will be staying in pensions and smaller hotels so we will not take up any beds in albergues, but I see your point...

I am looking forward to it!

I am organizing a trip to Finisterre this Saturday with a group (leaving at 11.00), the first one! (There will be a lot of "firsts" in the next few days). I just came back from Santiago now and there are a lot of pilgrims in town.... just hope the weather gets better, it has been raining today.

Saludos from Santiago,
Ivar

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi,

a lot of people think the camino starts a Sarria. And for those who come from Roncesvalles of from their home town in France, Belgium, Holland or Germany, the last 100 km are very disappointing. I saw lots of people jus walking those 100 km or even the bus and collecting stamps just to get the compostela.

Greeting

Ivar,

100 km or 1,000 km, each camino is different and we all choose to walk our own camino. There are so many factors that influence your choice. I wish you well in your new business venture and on your first camino beginning at Sarria. :D

Rose Louise

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oh Ivar! Start from Villafranca, I dare you!

(apologies for my absence by the way, have had a bit of a testing time over the last few months)

The camino starts wherever you want it to start!
I agree with Rose Louise. If you live on the outskirts of Santiago you don't have to travel 300km, 500km, 800km or all the way to France in order to walk back to the tomb of your patron saint! Millions of pilgrims visit his tomb each year, coming by planes, trains and automoblies and they too are pilgrims to St James. They don't receive the Compostela but they can receive indulgences.
The pilgrims of old had no option but to ride or walk to Santiago. With the advent of cycles and cars more people have been able to travel there.
Distance walked doesn't make one a more worthy pilgrim!

Great invitation . . . since i'm a first-time pilgrim on the camino i hope we meet up along the way enroute to Santiago. I will be leaving Pamplona on my camino the 21st of May. Perhaps i can connect with you in Santiago if we can't do it before then -- i will have my cell phone so i can text home every now and then. If this sounds ok with you i will give you my number and you can text me when you arrive in Santiago.

Buen viaje,

Adele

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
xpatpilgrim said:
Great invitation . . . since i'm a first-time pilgrim on the camino i hope we meet up along the way enroute to Santiago. I will be leaving Pamplona on my camino the 21st of May. Perhaps i can connect with you in Santiago if we can't do it before then -- i will have my cell phone so i can text home every now and then. If this sounds ok with you i will give you my number and you can text me when you arrive in Santiago.

Buen viaje,

Adele
Welcome to the forum Adele! Sounds like a plan... I have sent you a PM.

Saludos,
Ivar

All the times I read about pilgrims walking, hundreds of butterflies come to my stomach and my mind begins to think of how can I do to walk there ... and now the answer is really easy ... not arriving to Compostela!! because I only have a weekend, this weekend, to walk with you. So, my only problem is, where on friday very late evening and when, and how to return there on sunday afternoon ... it depends on your planning for this weekend.

By the way, when will you go to Finisterre? Because I'm planning to be there about the 6th-7th July.

Ivar, Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As you may have noticed I have not publicized this walk much in the last few weeks. The reason is that I might have an opportunity for a job, and the decisions will be made during the dates of this walk. (This new opportunity will not affect the Camino Travel Center).

So all in all, I think I will walk another time. :(

Saludos,
Ivar

ivar said:
The reason is that I might have an opportunity for a job, and the decisions will be made during the dates of this walk. (This new opportunity will not affect the Camino Travel Center).

Good luck Ivar. I am sure you can prove all sorts of skills and competencies from your experience of running this forum.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well Done Ivar best wishes for "walk" may it be all you wish for and more!!!!
Susanna

Hello Ivar,

Myself and a friend also plan to start our camino in Sarria on 30th May, so we may see you on the way! Do you know what is the best way to get to SArria from Santiago- do we need to get bus tickets in advance? Also, where can we get the 'pilgrim passports'?

Thanks
Melanie

Melanie Shah said:
Hello Ivar,

Myself and a friend also plan to start our camino in Sarria on 30th May, so we may see you on the way! Do you know what is the best way to get to SArria from Santiago- do we need to get bus tickets in advance? Also, where can we get the 'pilgrim passports'?

Thanks
Melanie
Hi there,

There is a direct bus to Sarria from Santiago weekdays at 18.00 from the bus station. If yu would like to go earlier, you can take the bus to Lugo and change for Sarria there. These tickets can not be booked in advance through any agency, but if get to the bus station 30-40 minutes early you can get it at the ticket counter. You could also take a taxi or I could get you a car, but that cost a bit more.

The pilgrims passport can be picked up at the "albergue de peregrinos" in Sarria.

Saludos,
Ivar

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Good luck with everything, Ivar.

I love this website and always make return visits on the anniversary of my camino. It was the best I found when I was planning my own camino in 2007.

There are so many experienced and helpful people posting to this forum. It is a privilege to have their advice.

So I hope the forum endures as long as there are pilgrims to go on pilgrimages.

Bob M

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back