• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

May 31st Departure from California to Madrid

bbates225

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July (2017) Camino Frances (couldn't finish)
June/July (2020) Camino Frances (not - Covid 19)
Hi all,

Haven't purchased my airline ticket yet. Almost did three nights ago when I found a really good price. I am almost all ready to go this time (been planning since 2012). Got my clothes, pack, boots (not 100% happy with them but so far they don't hurt my feet - I think they just might be overkill for the Camino), most of the incidentals and I'm really getting tired of playing mind games with what to take and what not to take. Final decision will be made by departure date. I'm not afraid of the travel, nor the walking. Here is what's holding me up from pushing the purchase button for the airline. I'm female, will be 74 by then, pretty athletic, healthy and in good shape. I've been to Europe several times but always with a group and always someone else has made all arrangements. I just need someone to tell me I won't get lost and how easy it will be to get from MAD to SJPP. I've printed out a whole "how to get there from here" sheet posted by a forum member. I'm more interested in buses than trains or planes. I have ALSA's schedule printed out. I prefer going to Pamplona straight from airport but schedules may not work for me. Today I looked into EMT Madrid to get me to Avenida de America to catch ALSA from there. Once I make it to Pamplona I figure I will get a hotel and spend the night and start fresh to SJPP (and spend another night there before heading out walking). Hoping CONDA is running by June (couldn't find a time schedule for them). Does all this sound reasonable? The logistics of the timing from whatever flight I get and getting a bus to Madrid/Pamplona is what is keeping me up at night :(

Sorry for my long "question". If I can get this settled in my mind I will purchase my airline ticket and probably my ALSA ticket. Perhaps I should ditch the fear and let God and the Camino guide me.

Thanks so much. Really looking forward to this after all these years of planning.

P.S. Anyone else leaving from CA around that time?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here is CONDA's version of the bus schedule for Pamplona to SJPdP.
http://www.conda.es/eventos.php?tipo=3&id=438

The caveat is that CONDA is owned by ALSA ... and it is ALSA that publishes the schedule.

There are differences. The CONDA page indicates a 1730 bus starting 1 April 2017. The ALSA schedule does not ... the 1730 bus actually starts running around mid April (which I think is Easter this year)

So the CONDA site says there will be a 1000 bus starting 1 June and a 1200 bus starting 20 June. Whether it actually does we won't know till May or whenever the ALSA bus schedule is updated (normally not more than 30 days in advance).

Problem: no matter what bus, you will get to SJPdP too late to start walking from SJPdP to Roncesvalles if you expect to get there before dark.

Alternatively, you might want to consider taking the ALSA bus from Av de America to San Sebastian. There are two options from San Sebastian:

1. Take ALSA or PESA bus from San Sebastian/Donostia to Bayonne.

2. Take the Renfe Cercanias train from San Sebastian to Irun, the Euskotren Metro from Irun to Hendaye, and the SNCF train or Transports64 bus from Hendaye to Bayonne.

It is possible to get to Irun and spend the night there (instead of Pamplona) then catch an early SNCF train from Hendaye to Bayonne that will get you there before 0745.

The last leg is SNCF train from Bayonne to SJPdP. This train runs all year 4 times per day. (sked won't be posted yet but it hasn't changed at all in the past 5 years) One advantage is the first one leaves at 0745 arriving 0845 and allowing enough time to walk to Roncesvalles.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I booked a flight from LAX to Pamplona with a quick stop over in Madrid. Then you just need to get from Pamplona to SJPDP.

Overkill boots are a good thing for your ankles, knees, and back. Remember the "SunScreen Song" "be kind to your knees you'll miss them when they're gone" I know I do!

I booked a flight from LAX to Pamplona with a quick stop over in Madrid. Then you just need to get from Pamplona to SJPDP.

Did you book a return flight to LAX at same time? If so, was it from Pamplona/Madrid/LAX or Madrid/LAX? Flying on into Pamplona does sound easier, but not sure I want to go back there after Santiago. Would rather go directly to Madrid then LAX. Sorry for my ignorance. I'm beginning to think I should go to AAA or someplace to help me with all this.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Overkill boots are a good thing for your ankles, knees, and back. Remember the "SunScreen Song" "be kind to your knees you'll miss them when they're gone" I know I do!

Good advice! Thanks. These old ankles, knees, and back have served me well for a lot of years. Best to take care of them. Ankles and knees seem to still be good... back is a little out of whack and I will be carrying more than a day pack like on my local hikes.

Hi all,

Haven't purchased my airline ticket yet. Almost did three nights ago when I found a really good price. I am almost all ready to go this time (been planning since 2012). Got my clothes, pack, boots (not 100% happy with them but so far they don't hurt my feet - I think they just might be overkill for the Camino), most of the incidentals and I'm really getting tired of playing mind games with what to take and what not to take. Final decision will be made by departure date. I'm not afraid of the travel, nor the walking. Here is what's holding me up from pushing the purchase button for the airline. I'm female, will be 74 by then, pretty athletic, healthy and in good shape. I've been to Europe several times but always with a group and always someone else has made all arrangements. I just need someone to tell me I won't get lost and how easy it will be to get from MAD to SJPP. I've printed out a whole "how to get there from here" sheet posted by a forum member. I'm more interested in buses than trains or planes. I have ALSA's schedule printed out. I prefer going to Pamplona straight from airport but schedules may not work for me. Today I looked into EMT Madrid to get me to Avenida de America to catch ALSA from there. Once I make it to Pamplona I figure I will get a hotel and spend the night and start fresh to SJPP (and spend another night there before heading out walking). Hoping CONDA is running by June (couldn't find a time schedule for them). Does all this sound reasonable? The logistics of the timing from whatever flight I get and getting a bus to Madrid/Pamplona is what is keeping me up at night :(

Sorry for my long "question". If I can get this settled in my mind I will purchase my airline ticket and probably my ALSA ticket. Perhaps I should ditch the fear and let God and the Camino guide me.

Thanks so much. Really looking forward to this after all these years of planning.

P.S. Anyone else leaving from CA around that time?

If you are open to a train it is easy to get from MAD to Pamplona. It just seems a bit faster than a bus. If you can book a flight from CA that arrives in Madrid early in the morning there are several trains from Atocha station to Pamplona; one that leaves late morning and another that leaves mid-afternoon (the last time I checked). RENFE is the Spanish railway. When you arrive at the airport you can catch a Cercanías train from Terminal 4 to Atocha, which, by the way, is a beautiful station. There is a huge atrium and is a great place to relax after the flight before catching the train. Anyway, maybe you could consider this an option if you can't get the bus schedule to work for you.

Last edited:
Here is CONDA's version of the bus schedule for Pamplona to SJPdP.
http://www.conda.es/eventos.php?tipo=3&id=438

Problem: no matter what bus, you will get to SJPdP too late to start walking from SJPdP to Roncesvalles if you expect to get there before dark.
--------------------------
Thanks for your help. I won't be on a tight schedule so I don't plan on walking immediately upon getting to SJPdP even if I arrive early in the day. I want to take in the town, spend the night, and start fresh in the morning. It's just all very confusing to someone who has always had someone else hand me my itinerary and tickets in a little blue travel case with a local language speaking guide waiting on the other end ;). I'm sure I will manage to get it all done.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Did you book a return flight to LAX at same time? If so, was it from Pamplona/Madrid/LAX or Madrid/LAX? Flying on into Pamplona does sound easier, but not sure I want to go back there after Santiago. Would rather go directly to Madrid then LAX. Sorry for my ignorance. I'm beginning to think I should go to AAA or someplace to help me with all this.

I booked my return trip at the same time but flew out of Santiago to Madrid to LAX.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I have flown from SFO to Madrid, then on to Pamplona. Easy, but a long day, especially if you continue to SJPP on the "same" day. You can also fly into Madrid and stay overnight if the transportation isn't convenient the same day. I am the kind of traveler who likes to plan everything in advance, so letting that all go was a big leap of faith for me. You will not get lost. If what you have planned doesn't work out, remember that there are other options, and I have found the people in Spain to be friendly and helpful, so just ask. For me, I would make reservations in Pamplona and SJPP before leaving home, just to make it easy when you get there. I use Booking.com and pick the ones with free cancellation so if something changes you're not stuck. You'll be fine!

I booked my return trip at the same time but flew out of Santiago to Madrid to LAX.

Thanks so much for this info. It took the fear right out of me and I booked my flight yesterday. Went to AAA and they helped me work it all out. Now I can go back to fretting about what to take and what not to take, what socks to wear, etc. Just kidding. :) Thanks again.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have flown from SFO to Madrid, then on to Pamplona. Easy, but a long day, especially if you continue to SJPP on the "same" day. You can also fly into Madrid and stay overnight if the transportation isn't convenient the same day. I am the kind of traveler who likes to plan everything in advance, so letting that all go was a big leap of faith for me. You will not get lost. If what you have planned doesn't work out, remember that there are other options, and I have found the people in Spain to be friendly and helpful, so just ask. For me, I would make reservations in Pamplona and SJPP before leaving home, just to make it easy when you get there. I use Booking.com and pick the ones with free cancellation so if something changes you're not stuck. You'll be fine!

Thanks for your advice. I booked my flight yesterday based on your and one other post. LAX/MAD/Pamplona May 31 & return Santiago/MAD/LAX July 22. My plans are to get a hotel in Pamplona to rest up from the flight, then get transportation (bus?) to SJPP the next day. I also plan on staying a day in SJPP in order to see the town, then start walking the next morning. I allowed myself these days so I can start fresh. Thanks also for the info on booking hotels.

I did something similar. I decided to fly from Santiago to Madrid the night before I fly home. Iberia has a really cheap flight and I couldn't pass it up.

Hi bbates.
On the 31st of May I will have finished my Camino and will be back in Zizur.
If you want, I can pick you up at the Pamplona airport and take you to Saint Jean Pied de Port.
It will be my pleasure to help you.
Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back