• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

May Camino on the CP - Can I ditch the fleece?

MaidinBham

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances SJPP to Muxia, April (2014)
Camino Portuguese Lisbon>Santiago, April/May (2016)
I have been following the weather in Lisbon - seems it has been hi's in the 60's and lows in the 50's. I am thinking of leaving my merino wool hoody behind, and just adding a additional merino t-shirt. What are your thoughts?
Janice

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Be sure that merino tee has long sleeves and is loose enough to fit over other layers. Some type of warm hat/cap/beanie might still be useful even in May.

Happy planning and Buen camino!

Last edited:
I would definitely bring a fleece. You probably won't need it while walking, but it gets chilly in the evenings. I even need mittens in the mornings.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I do have all other layers, including gor-tex shell jacket. Last few days in Lisbon the lows are 50's, so thinking I could squeeze by without it and have more space in 34L backpack for water bottles and food.
Thanks for input,
Janice

I intentionally posted on CP thread because compared to CF I think the weather in May is a little different - warmer in the south and not as many elevation gains?
On CF in April/May of 2014 I ditched my down sweater at the last moment, and did regret that decision a handful of times, especially at end of May in the freezing rain and snow. But, my other gear served me well, and I just layered ALL the clothes I had in pack.
Janice

I found that when we do pretty long days (over 30km), even if the temperature is warm/hot, I get cold when we stop for the day. I would ALWAYS take a 100-weight fleece, even if I walked in July!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My merino hoody is 260-weight and weighs 1 lb (450 gm) I can get it into pack (in a compression bag) but have almost no extra space. I think when cold, I will layer two merino 150-weight t-shirt, arm warmers, shirt, thermal lightweight long-johns, 2 buffs, gloves, wind-proof water-proof jacket, rain pants if needed over hiking pants. If I look like the Goodyear Blimp, and am not warm enough, I could buy fleece when I arrive.
Thanks again for all comments.
Janice

I walked in May/June last year....and it was pretty warm . I still used my fleece now and then. Mostly the first half hour in the morning and some evening hours.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back