A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

May Camino?

Camino(s) past & future
Walked CF September/October 2015; Scheduled to walk April/May 2020
Hi everyone. I walked the Camino in 2015, and ended up having to skip a portion due to injuries I sustained on the journey to my knees and calf. I’d like to close the gap in 2020 and walk the portion I missed. I am considering walking in May. Because of commitments, I would need to be back home by May 26-ish, so I was considering starting in early May. Have any of you walked during this time, and if so, did you find it to be cold/rainy? I have done some online research, and I know the weather can vary year over year. I was just curious to hear directly from pilgrims about their experiences walking during that time of year. I would be starting in Burgos, most likely.

CdnDreamer

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (12, 15 & 18) San Salvador (18), Portuguese (19)
My first camino was in Sept/Oct and three years later, in 2015 I walked in April/May. I loved the spring walk, with the beautiful flowers, and the longer daylight hours. In 2015 I had only a couple of days of rain in 42 days of walking. In 2018 I walked the last two weeks of May and first week of June and had rain for 2 out of the 3 weeks. But the rain was only for part of each day, and I still enjoyed walking. It was not cold in May (but I'm Canadian so cold for me is lower than -10C) Most days I could sit outside for meals and sunny days were warm to hot.

Camino(s) past & future
Walked CF September/October 2015; Scheduled to walk April/May 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience. My first walk was in Sept/Oct as well, and I like the idea of seeing the Camino at a different time of year, watching it bloom.

CdnDreamer

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (12, 15 & 18) San Salvador (18), Portuguese (19)
The longer daylight was so amazing as well. And the days get longer, rather than shorter as you walk. I am sure you will enjoy a May camino!

Sam - AU

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances - Apr/May 2018, Feb/Mar 2019 .... upcoming Nov/Dec 2019
I walked Apr/May 2018, weather was amazing in May, got a day or two of rain in Galicia as we got closer to Santiago but nothing torrential or unmanageable.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 29.0%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock