• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD May/June 2022 Covid

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Washie

Time of past OR future Camino
CP Coastal/Central 2019/22/23
CF 2020
Muxia 2023
Just reading about a pilgrim with Covid. (Get well soon and mind yourself T!) Is Covid causing problems for many on the Camino in May 2022? Assuming the Camino routes are going to get busier in the coming weeks, is this a real problem for accommodations remaining open? Of those that have picked it up recently, I wonder how many picked it up in Albergues/Hostels? Are these accommodations likely to close down temporarily? I was planning on staying in Albergues in June and am travelling with 2 teenagers.........thinking now of booking private accommodation ahead. (Wasn't in the budget.)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just reading about a pilgrim with Covid. (Get well soon and mind yourself T!) Is Covid causing problems for many on the Camino in May 2022? Assuming the Camino routes are going to get busier in the coming weeks, is this a real problem for accommodations remaining open? Of those that have picked it up recently, I wonder how many picked it up in Albergues/Hostels? Are these accommodations likely to close down temporarily? I was planning on staying in Albergues in June and am travelling with 2 teenagers.........thinking now of booking private accommodation ahead. (Wasn't in the budget.)
Besides myself, I personally know several others who have caught Covid on the Camino.

I was mostly staying in private rooms, but did stay in dorms three times.

Another pilgrim that was in two of those dorms started feeling sick before I did. He had taken a Covid test when he first felt symptoms, which was negative, but he didn't test again until I told him that I had Covid, and he then tested positive.

I already had a private room at the albergue, and the other sick pilgrim was moved to a room by himself.

No, these accommodations are unlikely to close.

I feel badly about anyone that I may have passed it on to.

I know of three pilgrims in my wave who have had COVID on the Camino. Based on the timing, they may have arrived with it or acquired it very early in their walks. They have spent a few days in private rooms, then walked again when they felt better.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Besides myself, I personally know several others who have caught Covid on the Camino.

I was mostly staying in private rooms, but did stay in dorms three times.

Another pilgrim that was in two of those dorms started feeling sick before I did. He had taken a Covid test when he first felt symptoms, which was negative, but he didn't test again until I told him that I had Covid, and he then tested positive.

I already had a private room at the albergue, and the other sick pilgrim was moved to a room by himself.

No, these accommodations are unlikely to close.

I feel badly about anyone that I may have passed it on to.
Were you very sick? Did you require medical attention for COVID when you were on the Camino?

I know of three pilgrims in my wave who have had COVID on the Camino. Based on the timing, they may have arrived with it or acquired it very early in their walks. They have spent a few days in private rooms, then walked again when they felt better.
Surely it is no longer about getting covid (health wise as opposed to the hassle it causes which is a nightmare) but what the outcome is in terms of severity! Relatively few people seem to have faith in the vaccine!

May I suggest that you eat all your meals in restaurants with outdoor seating areas. My hypothesis is that we were exposed to Covid-19 while dining in an indoor restaurant. We both tested positive for Covid-19, and stayed in hotels and private accommodations all along the way in addition to being fully vaccinated and receiving the 2 boosters. Following the timeline of our symptoms--fatigue and sore throat--we were exposed during one of our few meals taken inside a restaurant. Stay strong and well, buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Were you very sick? Did you require medical attention for COVID when you were on the Camino?
I'm only three days past my first positive test. So far I've had about 24 hours of extreme fatigue, which lifted yesterday. Also some congestion and coughing.
Surely it is no longer about getting covid (health wise as opposed to the hassle it causes which is a nightmare) but what the outcome is in terms of severity! Relatively few people seem to have faith in the vaccine!
I have faith in it. I'm sure that my mild symptoms are most likely due to having had my second booster two weeks before I arrived in Portugal. But, it's still a pain to be sick on the Camino, and I want to make sure that I don't pass it on to someone else.

I’m not sure why you say that few people have faith in the vaccine. I got Covid in April on a non- Camino trip. I’ve been vaccinated and boosted. I didn’t end up in a hospital or on a ventilator. I wouldn’t have traveled without the vaccine and am grateful that my case was mild despite my age and asthma.

I’m not sure why you say that few people have faith in the vaccine. I got Covid in April on a non- Camino trip. I’ve been vaccinated and boosted. I didn’t end up in a hospital or on a ventilator. I wouldn’t have traveled without the vaccine and am grateful that my case was mild despite my age and asthma.
I wasn’t very clear sorry. I have huge faith in vaccine yet many of the conversations feel that they belong in the ‘bad old days’ of 2020 pre vaccine. I do think there is excessive fearmongering on here and I have been sad to see so many people cancelling trips. Just my view and not looking for agreement or disagreement. Just noticeable versus other message boards on! I know people mean well! Just hope for more balance! Apprreciate older demographic on here, many countries represented, and people may still live in countries where covid is still headline news! Sure someone is about to post now re ‘monkeypox, shal I delay to 2023 post’ shortly!

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wasn’t very clear sorry. I have huge faith in vaccine yet many of the conversations feel that they belong in the ‘bad old days’ of 2020 pre vaccine. I do think there is excessive fearmongering on here and I have been sad to see so many people cancelling trips. Just my view and not looking for agreement or disagreement. Just noticeable versus other message boards on! Apprreciate older demographic on here, many countries represented, and people may still live in countries where covid is still headline news! Sure someone is about to post now re ‘monkeypox, shal I delay to 2023 post’ shortly!
Suggest you don’t delay, you may never start. Just take precautions depending on your level of vaccination and underlying issues. you thinking could now include the flu vax need! Covid seems common on the camino now and many seem to be experiencing it like a milder flu of old and only have strong symptoms for a couple of days. Without the vax the ventilators and icu’s were much scarier to me!

I'll be on my Camino Primitivo from August19、starting from Oviedo, then Camino Ingles and Fisterra. I'm a fully vaccinated Japanese over 70 with slight diabetics. I got scared to hear "Covid seems common on Camino now ". I will try to get a private room if an albergue has it, but staying hotels all along the Camino is out of my budget, while I really enjoyed on my previous 3 Caminos the communication with other peregrinos in albergue. Wearing masks in albergues doesn't seem to be a Camino culture as is in my country (at least inside buildings). Do other peregrinos feel uncomfortable or bad if I wear it inside? Can anyone give me advice and lessen my fear of getting Covid on the Camino?

I'll be on my Camino Primitivo from August19、starting from Oviedo, then Camino Ingles and Fisterra. I'm a fully vaccinated Japanese over 70 with slight diabetics. I got scared to hear "Covid seems common on Camino now ". I will try to get a private room if an albergue has it, but staying hotels all along the Camino is out of my budget, while I really enjoyed on my previous 3 Caminos the communication with other peregrinos in albergue. Wearing masks in albergues doesn't seem to be a Camino culture as is in my country (at least inside buildings). Do other peregrinos feel uncomfortable or bad if I wear it inside? Can anyone give me advice and lessen my fear of getting Covid on the Camino?
There’s an old adage “we pack our fears”. So pack a lot of masks and if you’re so inclined to wear them inside then by all means do so. No one should feel uncomfortable if you choose to wear a mask 24/7 or at the most indoors. I hope this lessons your fear of getting COVID on the Camino. 😷 Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Regretfullly no one can give you any real reassurance esp. given Japan has for many years applied exemplary hygiene in my view. Used to go there a lot 20 years ago and remembering wearing a mask a few times.

Of course you can do all the recommended things and that may increase your protection slightly and provide mental reassurance. I must admit, and it’s a very small sample and a chat amongst friends, most of the people getting Covid I know are the ones doing all the extras! Typical eh. In reality it’s probably because they test a lot more but it’s an oddity I have noticed.

But it’s tough. I know Japan is only just starting to was ease entry restrictions from 01st June, and of course many other countries did this a long time ago so maybe see how you feel after that as maybe it may help your mindset. I was in Chile last week and they have been very conservative re covid with restrictions only just easing and the sight of ‘what’s covid’ Europeans and Americans, mixing with locals was quite the thing!

For me the reassurance should come from your current health situation. Are you fit and heajthy. If you are, you are very low risk of getting anything serious, tho of course a bigger chance of catching the virus.

And yes, as above, do what makes you feel comfortable, and don’t bow to any pressure!

I make the assumption that anyone wearing a mask has very good reasons for doing so . The Camino is one of the most understanding places to be in my experience .
Do you mean mask wearers probably have covid symptoms?

I don’t necessarily buy into the view that the Camino is a more understanding place than anywhere else, average at best, but would do well to be a more respectful place than Japan!! 😊

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you very much for your opinions and information. They gave me courage, though not reassurance. I decidedly start walking as planned, because I feel it's better regretting having done something I really wanted to do than regretting a long afterwards not having done it when I could have. I hope I can find albergues not so crowded and with private rooms. (I don't think I can sleep with mask. Maybe I should start training at home!) So do wish me good luck!

I just left my Camino in Burgos due to illness and testing positive for Covid 19.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, I am walking the Portuguese central Camino and tested positive yesterday Sunday 29th. May 2022 at the hospital in Ponte de Lima. I think I may have picked it up in Porto or a donativo a few kilometres past Rabaçal. I am now in a rather expensive hotel, the best I could do at 10pm last night in Ponte de Lima. Keeping indoors. Fortunately a pilgrim called Jade from Israel had a few test kits in her rucksack. I am vaccinated but folks be careful. IMO covid is still being spread by the unvaccinated. Too much pride in these people. A hard walk to Ponte de Lima from Lisbon and it looks like I won't finish. Get some medical insurance too. I wish I did. Charged £78 for another rapid flow test and examination by a doctor - ouch.
An American girl was presenting symptoms at the Donotivo past Rabaçal also and I she has covid too, so maybe the Donotivo. So be wise and take care. Bom Caminho.

Patrick.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Patrick! Wish you quick recovery and no after-effects.
You tested positive, you say, and I'd like to know how you got to have the test to begin with. In what situation (fever, fatigue. or close contact with the ones with symptom, etc.)? Who told you the place for test? What procedures you went through (doctor, pharmacy, health center, etc.), and what the reaction of the people around you at the time? Sorry if you think I'm getting too personal. But I think I'd better prepared for Covid as much as possible, though things may be different between Spain and Portugal.

I finished the Camino Portuguese on Tuesday and I arrived home to London feeling some very mild symptoms that I’d dismissed as lack of sleep and too much wine. After reading this thread I took a test and it was positive.

My symptoms are very minor and am suffering only the further isolation from my family I haven’t seen in 2 weeks.

I’d met a couple fellow pilgrims with minor cold like symptoms along the way, but none were advised to test at the farmacies. Take that as you will.

Hi, Patrick! Wish you quick recovery and no after-effects.
You tested positive, you say, and I'd like to know how you got to have the test to begin with. In what situation (fever, fatigue. or close contact with the ones with symptom, etc.)? Who told you the place for test? What procedures you went through (doctor, pharmacy, health center, etc.), and what the reaction of the people around you at the time? Sorry if you think I'm getting too personal. But I think I'd better prepared for Covid as much as possible, though things may be different between Spain and Portugal.
Hi Keikochan, I originally didn't feel quite right. A slight tickling sensation in the throat and a very mild headache across my forehead. I thought it was a cold. However I pulled into Albergue Sagres, about 20km north of Barcelos and bumped into a couple from Israel. The wife Jade, a very helpful and astute lady, had brought a few rapid flow test kits in her rucksack and kindly offered me to take a test. Incredulously it was positive. I hadn't even checked in but we all agreed that I take a taxi to the nearest hospital in Ponte de Lima, which I did. I was tested again to confirm positive. The doctor prescribed Ibuprofen and paracetamol, which I am taking now. I stayed 3 days in a hotel room, venturing out with mask, to eat only. Dormitories are now out for me whilst positive, I don't want to give this to anyone else. I feel ok, only like a heavy cold and the Ibuprofen and paracetamol are keeping aches and pains to zero. I tested myself today 2nd. June and am still positive. I can't think where I picked it up and I read incubation periods vary from person to person. I had walked from Lisbon with many long stages, I am vegetarian (but eat fish) and found eating properly on the Caminho impossible. So I may be run down, which does not help matters. Maybe in Porto, maybe before, maybe after. Perhaps keep your hands clean, wear a mask more often and although far more expensive and difficult to find (unless pre-planned), use single occupancy ensuite rooms. Having said that I think I was just unlucky. Thinking back, you do hear coughs in all of the dorms, including wardens themselves but how can you tell? I really don't know. Don't overdo the stage lengths, try to eat well (very difficult). I look at myself in the mirror and I know I have lost weight since leaving home. Before I left, friends said: 'don't come back thin!' but that is the Caminho....

Patrick

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.