• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

May/June Camino

Lawrie Knott

Time of past OR future Camino
Future - May/June 2015
Hi Everyone,
This is my first post in this forum. I am planning to walk the Camino from St Jean Pied de Port in 2015. However, it looks like the only time I can do it is in May/June, probably starting mid May and finishing mid June. Has anyone else done the Camino at this time and can you offer some advice about weather and things to be aware of regarding heat/cold? Thank you.

Loz

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Who knows? In 2013 hikers had snow! in May-----We had great weather in May & June this year,,,But,, the people who started 5 days before us had heavy rain and the people who started behind us got hit with hail 3 times! Nights were cold and we were glad we had sleeping bags. Not all albergues have blankets--Roncevalles does NOT. We found that People who recommend to NOT take sleeping bags were generally the ones staying in hotels. My favorite hikers were the Koreans as they were always warm--earmuffs; down coats; wool gloves; ---all of which they used!

I walked the Camino Frances from St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago starting the last week of April and finishing at the end of May in both 2013 and 2014. Here are some general observations and recommendations you might find helpful:
  • Snow can and does occur, especially at altitudes above about 700 meters, though the end of May. Be prepared with warm hats and gloves!
  • Rain does occur, all too frequently, throughout May and June. One of my favorite sayings from a friend who passed away while on Camino in 2013 is "The rain in Spain...falls mainly on Galicia." Be prepared with rain gear and pack protection!
  • Temperatures will range from freezing (32 F or 0C) to the upper 70s F or mid-to-upper 20s C. Be prepared with layered clothing. The daily temperature swing can be extreme, with snow in the morning and hot sunny weather in the afternoon.
  • Cloud cover will range from zero to 100 percent. Be prepared with sun protection. The Spanish sun is HOT. I found that SPF lotions attracted insects like no-see-ums and gnats. I also learned from the Australian pilgrims to wear light colored, long sleeve tops, and long trousers, regardless of the temperature. When I stopped relying on lotions and started relying on fabric coverage, the bugs went away. I suspect the scent attracts them and they can detect scent that humans cannot.
For reference, in 2013, I walked for 35 days and had totally overcast, rain, or snow on 26 of those days.

In 2014, I walked the same route in 34 days and had rain, snow on 20 days. PLAN ACCORDINGLY.

Based on my two Caminos, my standard pack and dressing plan now includes:
  • A broad brimmed sun hat with a high SPF rating. Mine is from North Face.
  • A side-mesh-ventilated ball cap in a bright, lime yellow color with visor (OR - Outdoors Research) to keep rain off my eyeglasses.
  • A microfiber watch cap or Buff. I started walking on cold or rainy mornings with the Buff, sometimes under the ball cap, under the poncho hood. I prefer my bright, lime yellow Buff as it has multiple uses.
  • A pair of fingerless biker (cycling) gloves for grasping hiking poles in cold weather. They are day-glo lime yellow for visibility.
  • A four-layered clothing system consisting of:
    • "Underarmour" brand or other technical fiber polo shirt. I prefer polos to t-shirts as they can help protect my neck against cold and sun by turning the collar up. Plus, they look dressier in a city. The weight difference is negligible.
    • Mid-weight fleece layer (Polar Tech 200 or equivalent) Polar Tech fleece comes in level 100, 20 and 300 thicknesses.
    • Waterproof, hip-length parka with integral hood and arm-pit zippers for ventilation. Mine is from Eastern Mountain Sports. The pit-zips really, REALLY help to ventilate perspiration.
    • Lightweight, Sea-to-Summit Siliconized nylon poncho. Mine is light blue for contrast against natural colors while walking.
NOTE: I strongly advise that your outer layer of raingear be in a color NOT found in nature, that contrasts against the green background along most of the Camino. Black, rust, brown, navy blue, green, olive, clear, or grey ponchos blend with the background and do not offer increased visibility in poor weather, in the early morning, or at dusk. Bright is better. This eliminates the need for heavier "blinky lights." Even a white poncho is better. FYI, my Osprey Kestrel rucksack has a built-in rain cover that I used in addition to the poncho. Sweat condenses under the poncho and will soak your backpack.

NOTE: On BOTH my month-long Caminos I ended up buying an EXTRA form-fitting fleece layer (Polar Tech 100 level fleece) to add to this configuration as my core temperature fell noticeably on days when the temperature was in the upper 30s or low 40s F and it rained ALL DAY. Warm and wet is acceptable. Cold and wet is very bad. Hypothermia can present. Then there are situations where you stay in unheated albergues and need to sleep in a fleece layer, inside your sleeping bag. Personally, I now plan to take two fleece layers, one form-fitted, and another loose, zip up fleece on all future Caminos. I can reduce the bulk by 2/3 using a compressor bag. If I had to buy another fleece two years in a row, it suggests that discretion might be cheaper than obsession with weight.

I hope this helps.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Crumbs, Andreo, that scared me to death!!!
I always walk April to June and apart from 2012 [?] when I had to give up due to constant rain and blisters [Europe including the UK had it's wettest spring for years] I've always enjoyed plenty of sunny days especially in May and June.
Mind you, I prefer the quieter caminos and have never walked the Frances: I probably never will now ;)

Buen camino ... con mucho sol!

Crumbs, Andreo, that scared me to death!!!
I always walk April to June and apart from 2012 [?] when I had to give up due to constant rain and blisters [Europe including the UK had it's wettest spring for years] I've always enjoyed plenty of sunny days especially in May and June.
Mind you, I prefer the quieter caminos and have never walked the Frances: I probably never will now ;)

Buen camino ... con mucho sol!

I did not intend to cause a panic or to dissuade anyone. May is probably the most beautiful time of the year along the entirety of the Camino Frances, when the weather cooperates. Everything is in bloom and the flowers are awesome. My intention was to inform.

But, the weather along the Frances can be unpredictable. Early in May, winter conditions can present, especially at altitude. However, when I am walking it seems like I have my personal cloud that hovers directly over me THE ENTIRE FREAKING WAY! When people ask my astrological sign I usually tell them "cloud." I know it if in jest, but seriously, it does feel that way at times.

In my two Camino journeys, I have encountered people who departed St. Jean a day ahead or a day after me. Frequently, they report clear skies most of the way. Go figure!

It just happens to coincide with my personal family motto: "A day late and a dollar short..." I get on a payment line at a supermarket, and the register tape runs out. I get into a bank line and get the trainee teller. I go to an airport check-in queue and the people in front of me invariably have a problem with their reservation, when I proceed to airport security, you guessed it, there is ALWAYS a first-time or very infrequent flyer with every metal object they own on their person.

This is my personal "curse" if you will. it has been that way for all 61 years I've been about. However, I now use self-service gas/petrol pumps, grocery check-out, airline check-in, and any other self-service feature I can access. Now, if I could only figure out a way to slot the correct weather for my next Camino, I will be a truly happy camper.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I agree with all the above. I was one of those who walked the CF mid May to late June 2013 and encountered just about every type of weather known to man, except tornadoes and hurricanes.I recently posted about being advised by the PO (Pilgrim Office) in SJPdP (St. Jean Pied de Port)to not walk the Napoleon due to bad weather. The majority of days were rainy and muddy, about half were cold, the rest were hot, hot, hot. Very few days were in the middle ground.
It was all wonderful!!! The Meseta in June was exquisite.
You may find my blog interesting since I walked about the same time you are thinking of walking.
Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked from SJPdP on May 10th/11th last year and this. 2013 started wet and cold and then got nice and sunny. This year nice and sunny throughout. I like to finish by mid June before it gets too hot and too busy. I try to stay away from guide stage ends and never had a problem getting a bunk. I am one of the last out in a morning and aim to finish around 2. This is not to "beat the crowd" but because I like to get the domestics out of the way early so that my clothes have time to dry and I can have a nice lunch before a siesta.

I walked the Camino Frances from St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago starting the last week of April and finishing at the end of May in both 2013 and 2014. Here are some general observations and recommendations you might find helpful:
  • Snow can and does occur, especially at altitudes above about 700 meters, though the end of May. Be prepared with warm hats and gloves!
  • Rain does occur, all too frequently, throughout May and June. One of my favorite sayings from a friend who passed away while on Camino in 2013 is "The rain in Spain...falls mainly on Galicia." Be prepared with rain gear and pack protection!
  • Temperatures will range from freezing (32 F or 0C) to the upper 70s F or mid-to-upper 20s C. Be prepared with layered clothing. The daily temperature swing can be extreme, with snow in the morning and hot sunny weather in the afternoon.
  • Cloud cover will range from zero to 100 percent. Be prepared with sun protection. The Spanish sun is HOT. I found that SPF lotions attracted insects like no-see-ums and gnats. I also learned from the Australian pilgrims to wear light colored, long sleeve tops, and long trousers, regardless of the temperature. When I stopped relying on lotions and started relying on fabric coverage, the bugs went away. I suspect the scent attracts them and they can detect scent that humans cannot.
For reference, in 2013, I walked for 35 days and had totally overcast, rain, or snow on 26 of those days.

In 2014, I walked the same route in 34 days and had rain, snow on 20 days. PLAN ACCORDINGLY.

Based on my two Caminos, my standard pack and dressing plan now includes:
  • A broad brimmed sun hat with a high SPF rating. Mine is from North Face.
  • A side-mesh-ventilated ball cap in a bright, lime yellow color with visor (OR - Outdoors Research) to keep rain off my eyeglasses.
  • A microfiber watch cap or Buff. I started walking on cold or rainy mornings with the Buff, sometimes under the ball cap, under the poncho hood. I prefer my bright, lime yellow Buff as it has multiple uses.
  • A pair of fingerless biker (cycling) gloves for grasping hiking poles in cold weather. They are day-glo lime yellow for visibility.
  • A four-layered clothing system consisting of:
    • "Underarmour" brand or other technical fiber polo shirt. I prefer polos to t-shirts as they can help protect my neck against cold and sun by turning the collar up. Plus, they look dressier in a city. The weight difference is negligible.
    • Mid-weight fleece layer (Polar Tech 200 or equivalent) Polar Tech fleece comes in level 100, 20 and 300 thicknesses.
    • Waterproof, hip-length parka with integral hood and arm-pit zippers for ventilation. Mine is from Eastern Mountain Sports. The pit-zips really, REALLY help to ventilate perspiration.
    • Lightweight, Sea-to-Summit Siliconized nylon poncho. Mine is light blue for contrast against natural colors while walking.
NOTE: I strongly advise that your outer layer of raingear be in a color NOT found in nature, that contrasts against the green background along most of the Camino. Black, rust, brown, navy blue, green, olive, clear, or grey ponchos blend with the background and do not offer increased visibility in poor weather, in the early morning, or at dusk. Bright is better. This eliminates the need for heavier "blinky lights." Even a white poncho is better. FYI, my Osprey Kestrel rucksack has a built-in rain cover that I used in addition to the poncho. Sweat condenses under the poncho and will soak your backpack.

NOTE: On BOTH my month-long Caminos I ended up buying an EXTRA form-fitting fleece layer (Polar Tech 100 level fleece) to add to this configuration as my core temperature fell noticeably on days when the temperature was in the upper 30s or low 40s F and it rained ALL DAY. Warm and wet is acceptable. Cold and wet is very bad. Hypothermia can present. Then there are situations where you stay in unheated albergues and need to sleep in a fleece layer, inside your sleeping bag. Personally, I now plan to take two fleece layers, one form-fitted, and another loose, zip up fleece on all future Caminos. I can reduce the bulk by 2/3 using a compressor bag. If I had to buy another fleece two years in a row, it suggests that discretion might be cheaper than obsession with weight.

I hope this helps.
Thank you so much for this detailed information. I really appreciate it.
Loz

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.