• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

May/June/July Norte experiences re: weather, etc.

Phoenix

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Good day. I'm zeroing in on dates for Camino next summer (Camino Norte from Irun then Primitivo then the SdC to Muxia to Finisterre circuit). It will be either mid-May through the first week of July, or June through July. I've done my due diligence on the board through searches, but didn't find what I hoped to (I can find weather apps, etc. that give info on avg rainfall, temps, etc.).

For those who've walked the Norte and/or Primitivo during the time frames listed above, I would like to know about your experiences, specifically re: weather and any other info you may deem relevant. TIA

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I walked the Norte to Oviedo late April to Mid May, popped down to the Frances for awhile, then Primitivo late May to early June (for reference point Hospitales 1 June). It rained almost every day (I’m unlucky but did have good rain gear) on the Norte but only in April did it seem heavy and/or all day. By mid May I even had some days that I regretted the sunshine (not as much shade as I’d wish for nearing Colombres). I loved every day, even wet ones as it made for moody pictures and semi quiet roads. My one Norte tip would be make sure you’re avoiding San Sebastián during festivals (film, music etc) —and the warmer the weather the more you compete with tourists for bed and food

Every day on the Primitivo was glorious and I don’t think it’s just bc I loved it more than any other route. I don’t remember any day that seemed too cold, wet, or hot.

I mentioned this elsewhere but there are some interesting side trips, many I followed, but one sadly I didn’t hear about until after I was near the end that I’d missed. I hoped to do it next time although it’s sadly now very busy since it was later in Game of Thrones —but you might want to read up on it and decide if it’s worth the diversion: San Juan de Gaztelugatxe

Buen Camino!

Edit/ I spent time in SdC and walked a bit of the Portugues so didn’t continue to Finisterre/Muxia until third week in June. It was warm to (sometimes hot) walking and occasionally brief showers but also gorgeous. Wasn’t as crowded as I anticipated

One other thought: if you are walking the June&July time frame that might land you in SdC on a Holy Year around the feast of St James, which depending on your outlook could be a good or bad thing…and in any case will need some planning for lodging.

Buen Camino!!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I started on the Norte in the beginning of July 2018. There were quite a few hot days, but it ended up being a very rainy July that year. Fortunately, it was still warm enough to be bare legged. The major issue with the summer months is that the northern coast of Spain is a popular holiday destination in the summer, and the pilgrim infrastructure is no where near as good as on the Francés, so it can be harder and more expensive to find a bed during that time of year.

I have added a tag "weather" under the title of this post. If you click on it, you will find an assortment of threads that might help. There are not too many threads specific to weather on the Norte, but you should find some good links to weather information in Spain.

@Smallest_Sparrow
@trecile

Every time I start out planning to walk the Norte, my plans change. It seems as though my available time period (mid-May - end of July) may not be the best for the Norte (i.e., weather/availability of lodging); I will plan to walk when I have availability in the Sept/Oct time frame during the future.

When I woke this morning, a new plan was bouncing around inside the empty space between my ears...
  • CF - Meseta from Hornillos del Camino to Leon (a section I missed out on before as my son wanted to skip ahead to keep up with some new Camino friends who decided to bike the meseta) - (7 days)
  • San Salvador, Leon to Oviedo - (5 days)
  • Primitivo/CF, Oviedo to SdC - (14 days)
One credential/one compostela
  • Ingles, Ferrol to SdC - (5 days)
One credential/one compostela
  • Camino de Muxia and Fisterra - (SdC to Muxia to Fisterra, 5 days)
One credential/certificate(s)

Appx 829 km/515 miles
36 walking days
10 travel/rest/exploration days
46 days total

Another benefit of this plan is some friends who are interested in walking their first Camino could join me for any combo or all of the planned routes based on their available time/budget.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good day. I'm zeroing in on dates for Camino next summer (Camino Norte from Irun then Primitivo then the SdC to Muxia to Finisterre circuit). It will be either mid-May through the first week of July, or June through July. I've done my due diligence on the board through searches, but didn't find what I hoped to (I can find weather apps, etc. that give info on avg rainfall, temps, etc.).

For those who've walked the Norte and/or Primitivo during the time frames listed above, I would like to know about your experiences, specifically re: weather and any other info you may deem relevant. TIA
Wet and muddy … but much beauty !

Re Primivito ...help please . I was planning this walk 3rd week May next year but have been put off by commentary that food at Auberges was awful , stale bread and unpalatable dinners day after day due to lack of Pelegrinos walking the Primivito !!!! I'm now considering other options .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Re Primivito ...help please . I was planning this walk 3rd week May next year but have been put off by commentary that food at Auberges was awful , stale bread and unpalatable dinners day after day due to lack of Pelegrinos walking the Primivito !!!! I'm now considering other options
If you walk to eat, there are far better options - the first part of the Norte, for example. But if you eat to walk, the Primativo is hard to beat. And frankly, I'd question those reports.

If you're thinking of ditching the Primativo because of the food, please consider that the tail might be wagging the dog.

In my opinion the Primitivo is a top Camino. I have walked it twice and found it friendly with beautiful scenery. No complaints about the food either.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back