• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

May/June vs Sept/Oct?

MSCT

Time of past OR future Camino
Spring or Fall 2022
Hello Camino del Norte Pilgrims,

I've been planning to walk del Norte for months now planning to leave 20th of April and have chosen this time frame as it is still slightly off season and cooler than the summer months, and yes, I do want to have a quieter Camino (not completely alone, but not busy) Due to some unforeseen circumstances (that includes physical recovery), I will not be able to leave before May 9th now and since I think it will take me approx. 50-55 days to complete (as I am going to Muxia and Finisterre as well and am planning a few rest days) I am concerned about the last 100 km being fairly busy, accommodations being harder to secure and of course the heat in June? Help! Please!

What would Sept/Oct (concerned with shorter days? much colder/windy weather? Open accommodations @ end of October? Same or different clothing requirements? etc.) compared to May/June be like? Basically, I'm looking at walking through the entire months of each and like I said I've been preparing for the last year so am totally equipped for Spring as of now?

My plans have been thrown into turmoil and I appreciate your opinions and thank you for any guidance you can offer...

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@MSCT, it’s time for a few deep breaths. Maybe a glass of wine if that’s your inclination or just a glass of cold water.
You’ve got your gear, you’ve got a plan and you’ve got an opportunity. Just go for it.
If on your list of things that might go wrong you have included “EVERYTHING” then you have that covered too. Meanwhile the Camino waits and you can walk it.
Pre-Camino panic/nerves/doubts: hey, they’re all part of the fun…

@MSCT, it’s time for a few deep breaths. Maybe a glass of wine if that’s your inclination or just a glass of cold water.
You’ve got your gear, you’ve got a plan and you’ve got an opportunity. Just go for it.
If on your list of things that might go wrong you have included “EVERYTHING” then you have that covered too. Meanwhile the Camino waits and you can walk it.
Pre-Camino panic/nerves/doubts: hey, they’re all part of the fun…
lol, thanks Tincatinker! (A glass of wine maybe once it reached noon...hahaha)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What would Sept/Oct (concerned with shorter days? much colder/windy weather?
Someone who has been on the Norte in both the spring and the autumn will have a better answer, but from what I've read, April/May will be wetter and maybe colder than September/October.

It’s interesting to me that we all want to walk in Goldilocks weather. We want company but not crowds. We want a bit of a challenge but nice clear way marks. Mountain views but nothing to steep. Authentic accommodation (but preferably no one else in the bathroom when we need it). And yet still the Camino provides.
Buen Camino all

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked in October and November. The weather was pretty good. But that was then and this is now and we have no idea what the future will be. Maybe the weather will be better/maybe worse. Maybe it will be crowded, maybe not. Just go and walk and as all others say the Camino provides and don't worry about it. Enjoy the people, the amazing scenery, the food, the hills, the roads, the variants, the albergues. Just walk.

It’s interesting to me that we all want to walk in Goldilocks weather. We want company but not crowds. We want a bit of a challenge but nice clear way marks. Mountain views but nothing to steep. Authentic accommodation (but preferably no one else in the bathroom when we need it). And yet still the Camino provides.
Buen Camino all
I don't thinks that's what I'm saying at all, but thank you for your viewpoint.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't thinks that's what I'm saying at all, but thank you for your viewpoint.
@MSCPT I didn't type that whimsy with you in mind though I guess your question was a trigger. Apologies if you felt it was a personalized comment. I can easily tick most of those boxes in my own planning. I'm heading to Andalucia in May for an assortment of Feria (de Caballo; de Manzanilla; de Atun) and as I search transport options, accommodations and the rest I'm hoping that things will be glorious, but mellow, thronged, but not crowded and, that yes - the weather will be kind: not to hot and not to cold ;)

I am heading out early September on the Norte. Let me know if you decide to walk then.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am concerned about the last 100 km being fairly busy, accommodations being harder to secure and of course the heat in June?
Hi, @MSCT, I hope your recovery continues to go well. I am not sure if the only reasons you have set up the choice as April/May vs. Sept./Oct are because of crowds and temperatures, so I may be giving you totally unhelpful suggestions. But you might want to reconsider June. It sounds like you might be more confident of being in walking shape by then.

IMO, June is a perfect month for the Norte. It is not yet high tourist season, yet there are tons of tourist accommodations. I found that the owners of many of these places were happy to give pilgrims cheap prices just to fill their apartments or pensiĂłn rooms. Since this is a holy year, you are likely to need reservations (and there will be greater numbers) for the last days into Santiago whenever you go.

The weather did have some hot days, but nothing really challenging. Lots of glorious sunny days along the coast. Not much rain at all, in fact my only memory was the day going into San Vicente de la Barquera. And the gloomy rainy day was considerably brightened by the hoards of exuberant surfers enjoying the big waves. There were others walking, but no huge crowds. Just a thought. Buen camino, Laurie

I'm heading out in early April. Just head west. I'm recovering from cancer and still have many impairments... I think this is about 70% of the reasoning behind my decision to head out once again - I need to just be. If I feel that at any point it's too much, I can always rest for a number of days in a larger city -- or a smaller town. If need be, I can just say, "ok, that was fun, I'll come back next year." Not sure where I'm going with this post. :) Santiago might be the "end-point," but you can take it step-by-step, that's the beauty of it.
<3

I walked the del Norte in June/July last year. It rained a lot the first week in the Basque Country, less so later, but the weather is very changeable and there can be short showers during the day. (The smartest thing I took with me was a lightweight umbrella made by EuroSchirm - two seconds to pull out and unfurl, vs. minutes for a jacket or poncho.) Temperature wise, it ranged from around 58-72 F during the days, which was great for hiking, but would sometimes get down to 50 F at night (I walked with just a silk sleeping bag liner, and wore my fleece on the colder nights, but most other people had sleeping bags.)

If you want to enjoy the beaches, however, I would recommend walking in September. The ocean will still be warm for swimming, and the crowds of Spanish tourists will have gone home, so it will be as good as it gets, I think. I imagine it would be a little warmer than July, but I would still take some kind of fleece for the colder mornings.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from IrĂşn to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back