• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

May & June

SusanH

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked 2014
Pilgrims and Peligrinos! If you’ve walked the Francés in the months of May and June, please give me a few details - crowds, weather etc!!! Thank you!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Have Walked 3 times in May, finishing first week of June. Very busy and can be quite hot. Low 30s. I think May is now the busiest month.

Hitting Galicia in May is fantastic, springtime with all the wildflowers, wisteria in the villages, the vineyards no longer fields of sticks but leafy green and lovely. Starting SJPP in May you might still catch some of the wheat/barley fields now quite high as well as blooming roses planted on the vineyards to attract pollinating bees but the wildflowers will be gone the fruit trees past blooming everything still green but monochromic, town and village gardens still pleasant, the weather not yet summer but walking in 30 degrees is not much fun. I best enjoy starting the week after an early Easter, nice and cool easy for walking, the holiday crowds have diminished, the Camino is in full bloom in and especially out of the towns, and even the meseta is green. In my experience, nature can make or break a Camino, the Via di Francesco, or the bits of the Via Francigena which I have walked..

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked in May 2015 and loved it. Beautiful cool sunrises and warm days, wind rippling through the wheat fields, absolutely fantastic. Didn't have a single day of rain though others haven't been so lucky at this time of year. Never booked ahead and despite being a group of four only once had to walk ahead to the next village to find a place to stay.

By comparison, summer two years ago was just a bit too hot and shorn of their crops the fields weren't nearly as enticing.

Will discover what autumn has in store next week!

Buen Camino,

Rob.

May - June twice, 2015 and 2018. Overall beautiful weather. No rain 2015, several days in June 2018. Chilly in the early mornings, not too warm later. Started booking ahead in mid May 2015 because I wanted to, not because I needed too. Booked ahead in 2018 because at age 73, I did not want to wander around looking for a bunk. Going again May 4, 2020. If you are going in May and June I believe you will be rewarded with beautiful scenery and moderate weather. Been Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked May 16 to June 24, 2017 and had just one day of continuous rain, a few cooler, clouded and windy days, but most of the time a perfect blue sky with temperature highs above 30ºC for about 3 weeks.
I didn't feel the way to be overly crowded until after Sarria (maybe starting from SJPP on a tuesday helped).
Some days I chose to phone ahead to a private albergue to reserve a bed for that night, but didn't have any long-term reservations except for Saint Jean, Orisson and Roncesvalles.
Nature is beautiful that time of the year. Enjoy!
Buen camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
It depends on the weather that year, of course. I and many others were chilled in that unusually cold May of 2013. It was busy even back then, but I would not say crowded. These days numbers overall have much increased, pushing those who wish a less busy camino back into an April start.

I've walked in spring on 5 various caminos, 4 of them in Spain. I can echo many of the replies posted. I have always been fortunate to have very little rain and when I did it was kind of a nice, short lived experience to be remembered.
Family ready to eat lunch while standing up on the way to Finesterre from Muxia.😊
Screenshot_2019-09-23-06-41-47.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked the Frances a few years ago from the first week of June until the first week of July.
I thought the weather was very nice. Cool mornings and cool evenings and save for two rainy days, it was sunny skies and not in the least bit too warm.
Quite a few pilgrims walking, but I never had a problem getting a bed at the albergues. The only reservations I made were in Saint Jean and in Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back