• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

May or June - pros and cons of either month?

november_moon

Veteran Member
My husband and I are planning to walk the Camino Frances in 2014 - planning ahead, but I know it will be here before we know it. Due to schedule constraints, we will probably walk the portion from Leon to Santiago de Compostela (approx 300 km). We can go in May or June and are trying to decide which would be a better time to go. It seems that May would be good since there probably wouldn't be as many people, but on the otherhand, it seems like June weather would be nicer - warm, but not really hot, less rain (mud).

What do you all think? Any advice for which month would be better? Would May have better wildflowers and greener fields?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We have walked in May and late May just into June. Apart from the weather and the numbers of people another consideration might be that, in general, the costs can rise in June as it is becoming 'high season'. Most places are 'low season' until the end of May. This particularly affects anyone planning to use hostales/hotels and trying to budget. Albergues are, I think, the same rate all year.
Buen Camino

Given the choice, I'd begin in early/mid-May.
The weather will be lovely, the wildflowers will be blooming, and there will be fewer people on the road. There will be some rain, but also sunshine, and it won't be too cold. June, for me, is a whole different experience... a bit like being caught in a herd of lemmings?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
From both of the responses so far, it seems like May is better than June. The low season consideration and avoiding being caught in the herd of lemmings are important :D
We will probably stay in a mix of albergues and hostals/hotels, so cost of lodging is a consideration. Airline ticket cost too.

I don't mind some rain, esspecially if it means nice flowers and fewer people.

In a position similar to november-moon, have managed to get 4 weeks away from work with a time window allowing me to start on any date from 1st to 31st May and am intending to cover the full stretch from SJPP, covered the Sarria to Santiago part of Camino this year so my main query is concerning the Spanish school year, I'd like to try to start and finish before the Spanish schools break for summer holidays - can anyone shed light on when this might be?

Slainte

Seamus

supersullivan said:
In a position similar to november-moon, have managed to get 4 weeks away from work with a time window allowing me to start on any date from 1st to 31st May and am intending to cover the full stretch from SJPP, covered the Sarria to Santiago part of Camino this year so my main query is concerning the Spanish school year, I'd like to try to start and finish before the Spanish schools break for summer holidays - can anyone shed light on when this might be?

My daughter teaches English in a small university near Valencia and the school calendar she sent me says that university classes and exams will be done on June 7 and secondary school on June 21. I don't know if this calendar applies to all school districts in Spain but it gives me an idea. I'm planning to walk the Camino Frances in May and finish in early June and then go see my daughter when she is done teaching.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My daughter teaches English in a small university near Valencia and the school calendar she sent me says that university classes and exams will be done on June 7 and secondary school on June 21. I don't know if this calendar applies to all school districts in Spain but it gives me an idea. I'm planning to walk the Camino Frances in May and finish in early June and then go see my daughter when she is done teaching.[/quote]

pathfinder, that information is a great help, tyvm, looks like I shall be arranging for a start around 21st/22nd May and aim for about 19th June to arrive in Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back