• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

May - sleeping bag or Liner

Caz spencer

Time of past OR future Camino
Santiago
The great debate in my house do I really need a sleeping bag we are leaving SJPP on 4th May I think I will be ok with just a Liner ??? Can wear extra shirt if cold
Or will I need both ???
What would/will you take ???

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've walked mostly starting in May for each of my Caminos.

I like to use only a liner but have learned that carrying a very lightweight sleeping bag is a good idea.

I prefer to sleep without clothes.

It's not unusual, even in early May to have some fairly cold pre-dawn hours, especially along the Meseta stretch between Burgos and Leon. If you haven't found a blanket it can be a sleepless night if you don't wear clothes.

Buen (snuggly-nights) Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have a very strong opinion on this issue, but my opinion is that we are unable to give you good advice. The range of our comfort zones is just too huge to come up with a standard answer here.

I am the person who always wears a sweater in AC, who is called a "friolera" in Spanish (someone who is always cold). I walk with a sleeping bag no matter what time of year, but it is a lightweight one. I add fleece and pants if necessary.

But in the albergues I am always amazed at how some people sleep with little or no covering while I am huddled under the bag and fully dressed. So whether you need a sleeping bag depends on whether you are more like me and my ilk or more like the many people I see almost unclothed and lying on top of their bags!

Most albergues have blankets, I would take the risk to save the weight. Worst case you have to sleep with clothes on if it is cold and if the albergue doesn't provide blanket.

Unless you have a sleeping bag that weighs around 450 grams (or less) I would just carry a bag liner and supplement it with albergue blankets every chance I get.
Is it possible it's not enough to carry just a bag liner? Of course, but I have yet to read of any pilgrims dying of hypothermia inside of an albergue.
Remember too, if all else fails you can always buy a lightweight bag on the Camino at an outdoor shop, or even just buy another liner and double them up.

Most albergues have blankets, I would take the risk to save the weight. Worst case you have to sleep with clothes on if it is cold and if the albergue doesn't provide blanket.
That's very true. If one is a believer in the philosophy of everything you carry in your backpack having more than one use, multitasking so to speak, that rings well. Instead of your fleece pullover or nano jacket just sitting in your pack while you sleep in a full sized (heavier) bag, they too can be a layer of warmth at night and supplement a bag liner when used alone. Same goes if you carry a beanie type cap. Wearing that at night also prevents heat loss (approximately 30%), and of course it can be worn on chilly mornings or evenings. The socks you wear become gloves on chilly mornings, instead of carrying regular gloves. All depends on how little you are interested in carrying.

That's very true. If one is a believer in the philosophy of everything you carry in your backpack having more than one use, multitasking so to speak, that rings well. Instead of your fleece pullover or nano jacket just sitting in your pack while you sleep in a full sized (heavier) bag, they too can be a layer of warmth at night and supplement a bag liner when used alone. Same goes if you carry a beanie type cap. Wearing that at night also prevents heat loss (approximately 30%), and of course it can be worn on chilly mornings or evenings. The socks you wear become gloves on chilly mornings, instead of carrying regular gloves. All depends on how little you are interested in carrying.
This is what i think too ‘ multi use items ‘

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Other factors to consider are the degree of fatigue experienced, and nutrition. On one day you might be just comfortably tired and well fed and sleep comfortably in just a liner; on another day with the same ambient temperature, if you are really exhausted and haven't been able to refuel yourself with nourishing food, then you are likely to feel much colder.

My point of view is that quality sleep is essential to maintain performance on long distance walks. Within reason, it is a worthwhile investment carrying a sleeping system which allows comfortable sleep - it may be a few more hundreds of grams on the back, but a few sleepless nights will adversely effect your performance more than by carrying a lightweight sleeping bag. And few things beat the luxury of climbing into your clean, bug free sleeping bag at the end of each day - a worthwhile luxury!

I took a lightweight sleeping bag when I walked in the Fall of 2015. I’d do it again. Yes, many of the albergues have blankets, but not all of them looked completely clean. There was a comfort in climbing into my own sleeping bag each night.

I've been thinking about a microfiber bag liner / down blanket combination. I'm starting to go through that time of life where I'm freezing one night and sweating through my sheets the next. I like the idea of sewing some strategic snaps on them to keep them together, and so that I can make a double layer of the blanket if it's really cold.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The great debate in my house do I really need a sleeping bag we are leaving SJPP on 4th May I think I will be ok with just a Liner ??? Can wear extra shirt if cold
Or will I need both ???
Hi,
You could buy a light sleeping bag ,one side is a liner the other side is just a little bit thicker . What ever is the temperature you pick the side that you want to sleep on. Buy the one who has a packet inside to put your wallet ,passport money etc..

Or will I need both ???
Hi Jeep and Welcome to the Forum,

I leave from home May 4 in Canada and start at SJPP two days after, maybe three. I am taking a sleeping bag and will sleep in my day clothes as well if all that and blankets are not enough. It is better to have layers and options than not, especially with the present chill all over Eurasia.

Hi Jeep and Welcome to the Forum,

I leave from home May 4 in Canada and start at SJPP two days after, maybe three. I am taking a sleeping bag and will sleep in my day clothes as well if all that and blankets are not enough. It is better to have layers and options than not, especially with the present chill all over Eurasia.
Hello,
By experience you will need a light sleeping. Hi canada de store Montain equipment co-op (MEC) sell the intrepid and traveller sleeping bag .Convenient for that time of the year $65.00. In Montreal the store La Tienda sell similar one but much more expensive. This store is just for Pilgrims gears.
Another web site I suggest is Gear Lab
Liner is good against bed buggs ,spray lavender around the top of the liner or sleeping bag to prevent tehm to go in. Bed bugs hate lavender.
Good luck

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Or will I need both ???
Im leaving SJPP on May 6th and I was wondering the same! Seems like ill be trailing!

If you are planning to sleep in albergue ( refuge) they don't supply sheets or blankets. Small hotel, Bed & BreAkfast,Inn they will supply sheets and blankets. You could easly find on Amazon a sleeping bag less than one pound not big at all.

Having walked in May I would never go without a sleeping bag, unless staying only in B&Bs (as we did in 2015) where bedding is available. I have used my bag plus 2 blankets (2012) - both albergues were private and there were extra blankets in the room - and was wearing my thermal underwear. I don't take a liner to save weight.
After 2010 when we both had to buy extra fleeces I vowed I would never be cold again.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello,
By experience you will need a light sleeping. Hi canada de store Montain equipment co-op (MEC) sell the intrepid and traveller sleeping bag .Convenient for that time of the year $65.00. In Montreal the store La Tienda sell similar one but much more expensive. This store is just for Pilgrims gears.
Another web site I suggest is Gear Lab
Liner is good against bed buggs ,spray lavender around the top of the liner or sleeping bag to prevent tehm to go in. Bed bugs hate lavender.
Good luck
The web site is Outdoor Gear Lab very good for equipment.

i packed a silk liner and a polar fleece and rain poncho. The later two i sewed for my shorter frame. Big reduction in weight as both ponchos were my jacket and sweater either individually or together. One night after being cold once or twice i figured out how to sandwich the three together to make a warm sleeping bag no bottom layer. I had planned to use the polar fleece and had sewn it with fasteners for this purpose - it wasn't quite enough. Adding the third outer layer of my rain poncho meant i was nice and warm. I sleep in a merino wool short sleeve t-shirt and undewear. I was walking from Leon to Santiago last Sept/October during the cold snap.
With this combination my pack with water was about 8 pounds - once i added my medication it was well up over 12 -- not much i could do about that. Which was why i had planned to go as light weight and double duty on everything i could.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For my August/September and July/August Caminos I took a 5 ounce silk liner, and a 7 ounce down blanket from Montbell. When I needed a little extra warmth (like at O Cebreiro) I tucked the blanket into my silk liner. On the hot nights sleeping on plastic covered mattresses which can get sticky, I put it between the silk liner and the mattress.

I am going to go with silk liner with a down blanket inside. Saves about 400 g in weight. Starting Portugues on April 15.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.