Search 59,165 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

May start, weather wear??

Joni

Past OR future Camino
Walked in May 2010.
Ok, all you veterans of the Camino, I am probably worrying too much, but please tell me, if I am beginning in Saint Jean and will cross the Pyrenees, what type of pants should I bring? Denim (bluejeans) or Khaki (cargo)? and for the duration of the journey into June, shorts, light pants? I know the weather varies from region to region, but what's the rule of thumb for early summer? Should I expect cold/rainy weather or something else? Just want to be prepared, but don't want to take more than necessary. Also I hate hiking boots, will a good gore-tex trail runner type shoes work instead, even over the mountains? Whew, that's it. Tag, you're it.

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

giorgio

Past OR future Camino
CF(2000), Puy (03), VDLP(04), Arles(05), Paris/London(06), Norte(07),Vezelay(09), Levante(10),Madrid(13),CF(15),CF(16)
Hallo Joni, no matter when you plan on walking , avoid Jeans, they're heavvy and hard to wash and dry, take light long pants and one short , as far as shoes is matter of personal preference....
Giorgio

lynnejohn

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Frances(2005), VDLP(2007), Madrid(2009), Ingles(2009), Sur (2011), VDLP(2011)-partial, VDLP(2014)
Hi Joni -

Your best bet is technical fabric pants. Lightweight, sun-resistant, water-resistant and quick drying. Something like this:

http://www.rei.com/product/769438

Buen camino!

lynne

cecelia

Wandering for the love and growth of it
Past OR future Camino
Hi Joni,
I agree - avoid jeans - unless you're going to wear one pair all the time without washing them. They're way too heavy. Some people wear light walking pants (as suggested below by Lynne) with a zip-off bottom for when they want shorts. If you're worried about being cold bring along a pair of silk or synthetic light long johns.
It makes me wonder what else is in your backpack that you might want to reconsider. Cotton T-shirts can be difficult to dry overnight as well.
About the weather - it's unpredictable of course but it shouldn't be too cold by June! It will probably rain at some point - maybe even pour for several days. But you'll no doubt get lots of sun too so think about protecting yourself from the sun as much as the rain.
Cecelia

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 102 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings