• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

May vs. October?

Dave Carlson

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan for May1, 2018 -June 9, 2018
I am planning my first Camino for 2018. Want to avoid the largest crowds. I can go either May or October. Any suggestions which is preferable?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If the only goal is to avoid crowds, definitely October. However, also keep in mind you have far less sunshine in October compared to May. October has its own loveliness in hues of brown, dark greens and oranges and harvested fields, while May has shades of greens, purples, yellows, reds with so many lovely flowering bushes, trees and fields of flowering poppies. Just saying...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Our 1st Camino we did in early March (Winter, snow hail rain). But we did it to avoid the crowds. In 2018 we p
an on starting about the 2nd week in October, but haven't decided on which route, possibly the Norte to avoid hot weather and crowds.

In October you'll land in harvest time....grapes, almonds, chestnuts, walnuts, pimentos (peppers), etc.
Enjoy the fruits of the Spaniard's labour (but don't pick/take/eat without permission, please)!
Mmmmm hot roasted chestnuts....

Yes, definitely October.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
October is my choice.

When walking in April/May 2016 rain was a regular companion. And if not when walking, the effects were felt underfoot.

The weather stats show October and November to be reasonably settled.

Putting my money where my prejudice is, I restart from Estella, next Tuesday.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

My husband's camino to Burgos was in early May of 2013 (or was it 2012??) and still had snow, hail and rain!!!

Started end of April and finished end of May this year and the crowds were never a problem. Only one really bad day of rain and a few light rain days. Very pleasant weather mostly might have been a bit lucky.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I did my first 2 weeks in October, I'm going back to complete the journey mid-April through mid-May. Fall was beautiful and the weather (mostly) great.

But I'm a springtime person. I like seeing the days grow longer, fields and flowers coming to life, the whole spring and summer opening before me. In the fall the days grow shorter, the earth gets ready to take a rest, life quiets down.

So personal preference on those points. As a final note, crowding was not an issue for us mid-October. Plenty of people around, but never too many.

Enjoy, whatever you decide!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've walked during May and October and much preferred October. Less crowds, cooler temps

I started from Pamplona on Sept. 11th. I'm in Sahagun right now. Definitely a lot more people on the Camino than there were when I walked a year ago in spring. However I found most of them start walking each morning at the same time: around 7am (in the dark). It's tempting to go with them because of fears that they will take all the beds.
However it seems like the early walkers walk farther and don't stop till later in the day than I do, so that's not a problem. I started at 8 today after the sun came up and had a beautiful 23k walk, most of it completely alone. I arrived in Sahagun around 2:30 and there are plenty of beds available. Haven't had any problem finding space in albergues (though others have, who arrived later)

I started from Pamplona on Sept. 11th. I'm in Sahagun right now. Definitely a lot more people on the Camino than there were when I walked a year ago in spring. However I found most of them start walking each morning at the same time: around 7am (in the dark). It's tempting to go with them because of fears that they will take all the beds.
However it seems like the early walkers walk farther and don't stop till later in the day than I do, so that's not a problem. I started at 8 today after the sun came up and had a beautiful 23k walk, most of it completely alone. I arrived in Sahagun around 2:30 and there are plenty of beds available. Haven't had any problem finding space in albergues (though others have, who arrived later)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just read through all the other posts on this thread and conclude that, if you want to meet the experienced Camino walkers from this forum in person, you need to go in October!

Consider April. I have always gone in April usually starting towards the end of the first week (4 Times) and have never have had any issues with crowds or getting overnight accomodations.
Everything is so incredibly green with lots of spring flowers and the mountain streams are flowing fast with the spring run off.
April can be a rainy or even snowy (at the higher elevation parts), but I have not had really any real issue with either in any of the years we have gone.
I like to walk in cooler weather, 16 to 22 C highs are ideal, even starting out most days at 5 C or lower in some case's is no issue. Once temperatures get in the high 20's or 30's as we experienced in Portugal this year, I personally find that much harder.
Of course living in northern Alberta makes one accustomed to cooler temperatures with the 6 months of winter we have.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Started end of April and finished end of May this year and the crowds were never a problem. Only one really bad day of rain and a few light rain days. Very pleasant weather mostly might have been a bit lucky.
I hope that next year Apr-May will be as pleasant. After reading this post I'm getting worried. ..

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I hope that next year Apr-May will be as pleasant. After reading this post I'm getting worried. ..

I've been thinking about the time somewhere in the future that I can go again and I'm leaning toward the same point in the year simply because the weather is always a gamble but it was very nice not having to call ahead or race for beds every day or two.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.